Cheapest way to get over the air hdtv

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
April 20, 2005 11:58:32 PM

What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
service?

More about : cheapest air hdtv

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 21, 2005 1:26:50 AM

In article <1114052312.271996.42090@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
<codeus@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
> the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
> other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
> have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
> do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
> service?

There are lots of factors that will affect your ability to receive
decent OTA HDTV. The Samsung 351 is ok but I prefer the LG LST-4200A.
Unfortunately it's about twice the price. The best option, again
depending on where you live and what's around you (trees, buildings,
etc) and your distance from the transmission towers, is an outdoor
antenna like a Winegard or equivalent. Some folks do have good luck
with indoor antennas so you'll just have to experiment to see what
works for you. In my case, I live about 60 miles away from the
transmission tower. I use the LST-4200A and a rooftop antenna set about
10 feet above my roofline. OTA HDTV reception for me is damned near
perfect everytime regardless of atmospheric conditions. YMMV.

--
Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before.

My address has been anti-spammed.
Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic.
April 21, 2005 6:22:55 PM

In article <1114052312.271996.42090@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
codeus@gmail.com says...
> What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
> the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
> other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
> have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
> do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
> service?

I understand that the Dish 6000 will work OTA without Dish Service. But
(a) it must have the OTA module (b) there is no program guide (PSIP)
information. (c) It can be fairly noisy. [I subscribe to Dish. I have
one I am fairly happy with it but I wouldn't buy another.]

You might want to watch eBay for a USDTV (Hisense) set top box. (Be sure
you get a remote or find one in another auction.) I got a fairly cheap
and for $50 each USDTV "wal-mart-ized" them. These things go for $200 at
your local Wal-Mart.
'
As another already noted, you will probably want a rooftop antenna.

--
- Paula

Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
a b Ô Samsung
April 21, 2005 9:42:49 PM

<codeus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
> the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
> other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
> have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
> do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
> service?

Why need a set top box at all? Just do a direct connect from a roof top
antenna. Get local HD channels for free. Works for me.

Jim

a b Ô Samsung
April 21, 2005 9:59:39 PM

codeus@gmail.com wrote:

> What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
> the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
> other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
> have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
> do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
> service?

You need a UHF ChannelMaster 3021 4 bay bow tie antenna
(Good for channels 7 thru 59) at 40 mile range($25),

50 or 100 feet of RG-6 dual shielded Antenna Cable ($12),

A Digital OTA (Over the Air Antenna) Tuner: ie:
Walmart $200, Samsung T-451 $249, used T-351 (T-151),
lesser $$$,

And either Component, HDMI, DVI, or S-Video (for HD
downconvert)cable
to plug into your HD or SD TV set... Red/White Audio
cable required too..... IF your TV set is really
old, a composite Video cable is reqd....

Try: http://www.antennaweb.org with your ZIP Code &
Digital/HD selection to see what locals are
available in your Counties....
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 21, 2005 11:14:01 PM

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message

> <codeus@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
>> the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
>> other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
>> have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
>> do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
>> service?
>>
> Why need a set top box at all? Just do a direct connect from a roof top
> antenna. Get local HD channels for free. Works for me.
>
> Jim
====================================
That only works if the set has a built in ATSC receiver.
Does yours?
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
April 22, 2005 12:06:04 AM

In article <42682056$1_1@127.0.0.1>, Jim Waggener
<jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote:

> <codeus@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > What is the cheapest way to get some decent quality HDTV via the over
> > the air signals? I see this Samsung SIRT351 for $150 are there any
> > other options for possibly cheaper or for nearly the same price that
> > have better quality? I see people with those dish receivers for sale,
> > do those work at terrestial hdtv receivers without paying for any
> > service?
> >
> Why need a set top box at all? Just do a direct connect from a roof top
> antenna. Get local HD channels for free. Works for me.
>
> Jim

That's because you probably have an integrated tv, NTSC/ATSC tuners. A
lot of people don't have that yet, hence the need for an STB.

--

!