ZyXEL P600 Antenna?

selimser

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Hi everyone.

I have been using ZyXEL Prestige P600 Wireless modem for a few years. It has a 5db antenna on it, i have been using it pretty close to my notebook, so i didnt have any serious problems. I just moved somewhere else. I have installed the modem to my neighbors home and i live next to my neighbor. The thing is, the distance is not that much (10 meters~) but my signal's quality is soooooo low, so my internet speed is.
First question, is there a way to improve the signal strength without buying something new like an antenna?

Second is, if i will buy a new, stronger antenna, is other brand's antenna (like linksys or zoom etc) will it fit and work properly? or is zyxel selling their own higher db antennas which will fit to my P600?

thanks
Blitzkrieg

Solution
G
So-called high gain antennas work by trading directionality and gain.

So the positioning of the computer's antenna in relation to the router's becomes more critical.

Third party models may not match the impedance of your existing antenna and could (feasibly) cause damage.

You can improve reception by raising the router above furniture level and by moving the computer nearer to the wall in the room nearest to the router's location (at least in my experience).

Ideal location is by to place both by a window on the same side of the building.

Relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from router or computer.

Try changing channel, especially if you can detect neighbouring wifi -- choose one 5 stops from strongest neighbour.
G

So-called high gain antennas work by trading directionality and gain.

So the positioning of the computer's antenna in relation to the router's becomes more critical.

Third party models may not match the impedance of your existing antenna and could (feasibly) cause damage.

You can improve reception by raising the router above furniture level and by moving the computer nearer to the wall in the room nearest to the router's location (at least in my experience).

Ideal location is by to place both by a window on the same side of the building.

Relocate cordless phone base, video sender etc away from router or computer.

Try changing channel, especially if you can detect neighbouring wifi -- choose one 5 stops from strongest neighbour.

Solution