Windows not responding

cgreene

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002

I have 4 sign in's including the administrator, when I log in under the
administrator, no programs or icons respond, including My Computer. Under the
other log in's, they do respond but I do not have access to make changes or
to see my data to back it up. I managed to install Norton Antivirus from DOS
and cleaned up a few viruses but programs will still not respond. Should I
reinstall XP, would I loose my data ? Also I can not find my XP disk but do
have the package with the key, can you download another version and input the
key ?

Thanks

"cgreene" <cgreene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 4 sign in's including the administrator, when I log in under the
>administrator, no programs or icons respond, including My Computer. Under the
>other log in's, they do respond but I do not have access to make changes or
>to see my data to back it up.

You should have two admin accounts: one with an username of your
choice (created when you installed Windows) and one "Administrator".
Logon with the functioning account and create a new admin account from
here. Copy the defective account to the new account to replace this
user.
"How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151)

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233