First build, need some advice.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
After a lot of research, I found the pieces I'd like to use in my new budget build, the parts are on their way from Newegg and its almost time to put it all together. This is my first time building a PC and it doesn't seem all that hard, however I have a few things I would like to get covered.

First of all, my setup:
Gfx: EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model
PSU: FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP400-60THN-R ATX 2.0 400W
Mobo:MSI K9VGM-V AM2 VIA K8M890 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram: WINTEC AMPO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

I am aware that some things could be better, but this however is my first build and will only be keeping me held over for a few months or so. I feel pretty confident about putting it together (assuming the parts come shipped ok), but I don't however understand being grounded, I bought a Rosewill Wrist Strap for precaution, but I am not sure how they work exactly, is that the only hand that is free to touch parts or what? Also, I am not sure where there is a ground wire in my house and would latex gloves be a problem to wear or is it something I should avoid? Thanks.

Edit: BTW I do not plan to overclock as I don't really know much about doing it, so I plan to hold off until I understand it more.

Thats usually a good sign that you did a good job. No one has any problems with what you already ordered.
The anti-static wriststrap will ground your whole body. Usually the middle screw in a wall power outlet is grounded.
If you install the PSU in the case first and plug the PSU into the wall (with PSU turned off [:wr2:4] ) you can touch the PSU case every now and to ground your body if you dont have an anti-static wriststrap. Latex gloves should not be a problem but also arent necessary. You shouldnt be touching the power, data leads/pins or motherboard tracings anyway. Read the instructions as many times as you need to understand the install procedures before handling the parts.
Good Luck.