Your question

1353MHz HT Link, is that a bad thing?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 19, 2008 9:54:32 PM

I have been running a stable OC for a few weeks with no problems. Brisbane 4000 OCed to 2.84GHz on a 690G mobo. I heard that the HT link should never go above 1000MHz but didn't know my way around HT Link options in the bios so I left everything on auto. Went ahead with my OC (1st time btw) and running things like Orthos, mem test, prime95 everything seems stable and I havn't had any crashes at all since OCing. Just installed CPU-Z and it says my HT link is 1353MHz so should I be worried about this? I can't find any muiltiplier options in the bios for the HT but I do have this option, HT Link Frequency- (auto, 200MHz, 400, 600, 800, or 1 GHz). Do I need to do some tweaking?

More about : 1353mhz link bad thing

January 21, 2008 9:34:24 AM

You're lucky! Most AM2+ makers were too lazy to introduce any Phenom detection routine (Phenom requires HTL speed @ FSB*5 IIRC) so they just took the lazy way out and locked the HT multiplier at *5 in the BIOS :fou:  You can change the HTL in software but unless you've got a high-end nVidia chipset there's no hope of changing the BIOS HTL setting (said boards can cheat with nTune) :( 

You've got the easy way out, the HTL speed is unlocked in your BIOS. You've found the right setting, just need to interpret them. Those are the stock speeds, i.e. under a 200MHz FSB. the last one is 1000MHz. Its 1352 because you're FSB is now around ~270MHz, the readings above won't reflect your change in FSB. Just choose 800MHz in that menu, or 600MHz if you intend on pushing that CPU any further

The old average was 1100-1150MHz before it started to flake on older AM2 chipsets. Now its a lot more variable as all the AM2+ wannabes (mixed 690G and n6x0 variants) seem to be able to handle different speeds. My nForce630a-based system can tolerate 1250-1300MHz under extended loads but becomes very unstable over 1350MHz. I'm surprised you're so stable at 1353MHz, that's the ceiling that's preventing me OCing any further (can't get into Windows to change the mult!)

If you can get into Windows at high HTL (1.3GHz+) you can get around the BIOS lock by using CentralBrain or similar on startup to knock the HTL to FSB*4 (or *3 on high OCs) to boost your stability then banish CBrain again, but you're stuck doing this every time you restart, and during boot and OS load HTL will still be *5 thus unstable. Not an ideal solution!
!