Sign in with
Your question

Need some quick advice please

Last response: in Systems
October 13, 2007 2:27:08 AM

In the other forum (CPU) a person mentioned that I should save my money, not get the new Penryn and keep my system as is and overclock it simply because I dont play FPS's. Im all for saving money but I also want to make sure my system will goble anything up and have great frame rates when I decide to go to MMORPG's (havent played any for 2 yrs but looking to go back). I was thinking of playing WoW, and/or Star Trek Online. I was also looking at Pirates of the Burning Sea (signed on for beta testing). Im hesitant to overclock but someone told me a month ago that its pointless to overclock the E6300 when I could get a Qx6600 or QX6700 and get quadcore instead of overclocking a dual core (E6300). Is there a noticable performance gain if I get a Qx6600/Qx6700 than overclock the E6300? Like i said Im hesitant to o/c. Im afraid of killing my system. Also my monitor is a Viewsonic 19" LCD, the NVidia 8800 wouldnt be step up from my x1900xtx on my specific monitor even at 1280x1024? Will I be disapointed if I do play WoW or the upcoming Star Trek Online which looks like it has some great graphics or should i go to the HD2900? Would it be worth it to wait for the new graphics cards that I heard both sides are revising for next quarter?

Part of me wants to be at least DX10 ready and my E6300 is a measly 1.86GhZ, the rest are 2.0 and higher, seems like I should at least be at 2.0GHZ. I was originally looking at the E6850 which is 3.0 and 1333FSB then I saw the huge price drops on the Quadcores. I was looking at the Penryns but im guessing there prices will be astronomical when they are released. I was looking to replace my Gigabyte DS3 for a mobo that is C2d, Quadcore, and Penryn ready (so I can upgrade to Penryn later on when prices fall) or at least quadcore and penryn capable.

I was looking to go to Quadcore, replace mobo, and video card as well as my soundcard (X-FI XM edition to XFI fidelity gamer edition). I was also going to get a full tower complete with temperature lcd screen (if I o/c or at least pay more attention to temperatures.

Sorry for the novel...part of me is looking to upgrade but I want to definatley make sure Im making the right decisions. Would it be worth it to o/c the E6300 or go to Quad then wait for Penryn to go down in price?

my games: Civ 4, RCT3, ZT2, Sims2, Simcity4000, Caesar 4...future games----> WoW, Flight Simulator X, Star Trek Online, Train Simulator 2, Rail Simulator, Pirates of the Burning Seas, SimCity Societies (hoping this wont burry the Simcity franchise). I know my present games dont even scratch my system but I want to be ready just in case future games require more power. I see some games are requiring at least C2D with at least 2.0GHZ which got me nervous.. Finally is the Logitech G15 gaming keyboard and gaming mouse (new one) worth it? Is Vista worth to get now?

My system: ExtremEngine 3t mid-tower case
Thermlatake PurePower 500w PSU (terrific PSU)
E6300 w/ stock heatsink (probably going to get Artic Freezer heatsink to see if it really makes a difference)
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev. 1.0
Saphire x1900xtx ATI
x16 D/L DVD-RW with Lightscribe (not replacing this)
2x 250GB WD SATAII HDD 3.0GB/s (not replacing these)
SoundBlaster X-FI XM edition (thinking of replacing)
2.1 Klipsch speakera and subwoofer (thinking of replacing because cords are warped)
Dynex keyboard and mouse (simple and might replace with Logitech gamer keyboard and mouse)
4GB DDR2-675 Corsair XMS2 edition
Windows XP (S2)

Thank you to everyone who replies and hope as many people as possible can steer me in the right direction.

More about : quick advice

a b K Overclocking
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 13, 2007 8:53:24 AM

OC your E6300 , upgrading from Dual Core to QuadCore isnt worth it for NOW , here are 2 good reviews of Q6600 VS E6850 :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-...
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

Again , dont get QuadCore , OC your E6300 , even 2.4 OC is fine , my stock E6600 is very fast and runs very well

For the GPU ,well i had a 7900GTX(which performs like X1900XTX) with a 17" monitor before and it was fine but i couldnt play games like LOST PLANET and DIRT with everything maxed out and i had to reduce some of them , so i bought a 8800GTX and its like 2x or more faster than that and now even i have a new monitor (LGM228WA , 1680x1050) Still my 8800GTX plays everthing with max options , so if u want to play every game with max option , go for 8800GTX, but if u want to play games @ good settings (not everything maxed out ) then X1900XTX shall suffice
October 13, 2007 10:51:06 PM

Is there a noticable perfomance jump for its price from my x1900xtx? I see them ranging from $494-$700 on newegg. I have my monitor at the recommended resolution at 1280x1024. (VX922)
Related resources
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
a c 108 K Overclocking
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 14, 2007 12:56:26 AM

Right now, you have a reasonably balanced good system. For games, particularly FPS types, the VGA card is all important. Most games,today can make use of only two cores. However, flight simulator X is an exception, It is very cpu intense and can use all 4 cores. Your mobo, because it is rev 1.0, can not run a cpu with a 1333 fsb, like the E6850, or penryn.

What to do:

Start with the vga card. Upgrade to the best you feel comfortable buying. Today, there is nothing better than the 8800GTX. However there are two possible problems with this. Nvidia recommends that you use a psu with at least 28a on the 12v rails. Your psu is perilously close to this. Second, the 8800GTX is about 1.5" longer than most cards, and may not fit in your case without modding it.
The 8800GTS-640 would be a step up, and at low resolutions, even the 320bm model would be good. Both would fit your case and PSU. Consider waiting a bit, though, because there seems to be some new cards in that range due out in time for Christmas.

All intel "X" processors carry a $1000 price tag, you can't touch them. The new affordable penryn processors are due out in January, and should be priced similar to current models, but with a 10-20% performance boost. You would need to replace your mobo. Can you wait? If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever. If you want to upgrade today, on your current mobo, I think the Q6600 is a good deal, particularly if you want to run FSX. You might want to try calling gigabyte and see if you can talk them into RMA'ing your mobo for a later revision so you can use a E6850.

Your 4gb of memory should be good on anything, the C2D processors are not very sensitive to memory speeds.

Your parts are all current and good. You might want to list them individually on e-bay to recover some of the cost of whole new system.

---good luck---

In saving cost, you might ditch the audio card. Current mobo's have very good sound, and the cpu cost is minor. Only if you are a picky audiophile could you tell the difference. Try removing your card to see if you can tell.

October 14, 2007 5:38:47 AM

Geo, I was going to wait till about december or January. Sorry, when I said I was thinking of upgrading I was looking at December or January to do it and yes, If I went to Quad or Penryn, i was going to update my mobo to the new p35 board. I saw gigabyte has a nice P35 ultra 2 board. Ive had no problems with Gigabyte and whenever I needed troubleshooting, they emailed me within a reasonable time period. If I do get the NVIdia 8800 I was going to get a full tower case (hopefully with a pullout mobo tray (putting the mobo in a mid-tower case almost gave me a heart attack and everytime I was hearing a squeaky sound I kept thinking oooooh noooo my mobo when it was just my case moving when my elbows were hitting it lol.
If I wait till January, go with the Penryn? (obviously with new mobo)
October 17, 2007 1:14:47 AM

Maziar said:
OC your E6300 , upgrading from Dual Core to QuadCore isnt worth it for NOW , here are 2 good reviews of Q6600 VS E6850 :

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-...
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

Again , dont get QuadCore , OC your E6300 , even 2.4 OC is fine , my stock E6600 is very fast and runs very well

For the GPU ,well i had a 7900GTX(which performs like X1900XTX) with a 17" monitor before and it was fine but i couldnt play games like LOST PLANET and DIRT with everything maxed out and i had to reduce some of them , so i bought a 8800GTX and its like 2x or more faster than that and now even i have a new monitor (LGM228WA , 1680x1050) Still my 8800GTX plays everthing with max options , so if u want to play every game with max option , go for 8800GTX, but if u want to play games @ good settings (not everything maxed out ) then X1900XTX shall suffice

Seems like in gaming systems the C2D's are the better choice. I think I will wait for the Penryns and the new video cards which are due out at the end of the year. I was thinking of getting a new case (full tower, bigger psu, and new mobo)
a b K Overclocking
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 17, 2007 10:22:07 AM

if u want to wait for new tech , u cant every buy a system , also i dont think we will have anything faster than 8800gtx soon (according to rumors we will have 8800gt which is slower than 8800gtx)
October 19, 2007 1:06:59 AM

Maziar said:
if u want to wait for new tech , u cant every buy a system , also i dont think we will have anything faster than 8800gtx soon (according to rumors we will have 8800gt which is slower than 8800gtx)

When I built my system last August (August 2006), I was leaving it open to upgrade some parts because I didnt get high-end components...more like mid-range for future upgrade. Anyway.....
My major hangups:

Should I go with the 8800gtx or ATI 2900?
Should I go with Penryn? ( Im willing to buy another mobo)

* I plan on buying Flight Simulator X, SimCitiySocieties, and a MMORPG (maybe WoW, Guild Wars, Star Trek Online, or Pirates of the Burning Seas which I signed on for beta testing)

Im looking to max out my graphics options and move to DX10. I imagine with MMORPG I need high frame rates and be able to max out all graphic options.
October 19, 2007 1:22:44 AM

The 8800GTX and Ati2900 is a waste of money if you are not going on to be playing Crysis at max setting.Then the next big thing is the 8800GT.Basically wait for the 8800GT and it should be able to play the games you listed at max setting at the resolution your screen has.

What I'm trying to say the get the 8800GT and get a new LCD screen. The money is the difference between the GTX and GT.

500$(GTX)-255$(GT,Probably the Price)=245$

That 245$=New screen that the 8800GT can handle easily.....

And as the Penryn.............Get the Q6600 if you cant wait. Great CPU that should be able to last 2 years and still be midrange performance.If you can wait the that would be great 2.

Just my input...
October 20, 2007 5:38:09 AM

lockdownx1x said:
The 8800GTX and Ati2900 is a waste of money if you are not going on to be playing Crysis at max setting.Then the next big thing is the 8800GT.Basically wait for the 8800GT and it should be able to play the games you listed at max setting at the resolution your screen has.

What I'm trying to say the get the 8800GT and get a new LCD screen. The money is the difference between the GTX and GT.

500$(GTX)-255$(GT,Probably the Price)=245$

That 245$=New screen that the 8800GT can handle easily.....

And as the Penryn.............Get the Q6600 if you cant wait. Great CPU that should be able to last 2 years and still be midrange performance.If you can wait the that would be great 2.

Just my input...

So 8800gts and ati2900 are really for FPS's?

Is the GT for everything else?

Im waiting for Penryn. What if Im not looking to change my monitor....its only 8months old. Im happy with the resolution I have. Yet even my games arent running at max settings---which is bothering me.
October 20, 2007 7:02:25 AM

@ mikeny
sorry for going off topic!!
but when did Train Simulator 2 release????
October 20, 2007 5:54:25 PM

sunny27 said:
@ mikeny
sorry for going off topic!!
but when did Train Simulator 2 release????

No prob sunny,

TS2 is scheduled for 2008 but no definate date was set. Microsoft killed it a few years ago but It has been recently revived in the Games For Windows category. Rail Simulator was supposed to be relased around mid-November but I recently checked the new release list and its been pushed to January. RS and TS2 are 2 different games by the way. Im watching them both however. I dont think they are the same game because the announcements are weeks apart from each other. I do hope whatever went into TS2 that its scrapped and star fresh. Ive seen games be canceled then revived only to see them sink when they are released because it wasnt "freshened up". Both games are being developed both by Games For Windows (Microsoft) and Kuju Entertainment.
!