itnot

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I am getting quotes on a server to run terminal services for my work and want to find the difference between a SAS 73 gig 15K hard drive and a SCSI 73 gig 15 hard drive. This is the only difference between two quotes but the SAS is $1000 dollars higher is it worth it?

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
SCSI refers to the older parallel SCSI interface, which uses a ribbon cable internally.

SAS refers to the newer SCSI drives, it stands for Serial Attached SCSI. The cables used here are similar to SATA cables, but the controller is different.

Most newer SCSI drives are of the SAS variety. Newer drives that the manufacturers come out with are likely to make a shift to SAS-only, similar to the way that consumer hard drives have made a transition from IDE to SATA.

Still, a $1000 premium just for moving from SCSI to SAS seems high. I would investigate why the price difference is so much and see if another server vendor would give you a better price.

rforce

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
To migrate from SAS to SCSI might not be a cost effective move. If you are setting up a new system, I would go with SAS all the way. As most SAS controllers are backwards compatible with SATA drives, you can have the best of both worlds. You can use the smaller and more expensive SAS drives to house critical business data and use the larger and much less expensive SATA drives to hold less critical and larger files.

Good luck!
Luke