Sign in with
Your question

8800 GT to little to late

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 29, 2007 3:32:21 PM

Guys serious am I missing something or is the GT to little to late?

Reasons -- yeah it would be a good mid range card YESTERDAY!!!!

Crysis demo has just been released and unless would have a GTX in SLi then you ain't going to be playng it on 'medium' settings. This card was needed over 6 months ago -- and now end of October 2007 a card is released that appears to be able to cut the mustard compared to yesterdays cards but if games are going to come out like Crysis then its an entry level gaming card -- and should be issued with a notice the same as the 320MB should of been "beware and buy at your own risk".

I realise this is going to piss alot of people off but think about it.......... This card which has great results compared to the GTX is just plain and simply too late!!!!!

ATi Nvidia has presented you with a golden opportunity and for the sake of the users please take and let the price war for the next gen cards commence.

Let the flaming begin!

More about : 8800 late

October 29, 2007 3:39:31 PM

Maybe they just couldn't release the card a half year ago. It is still one of the best cards for the price right now.

I'm hearing rumors that the new ATIs will be worse than the 8800GT.
October 29, 2007 3:42:05 PM

Erm I think its a good card based on the new reviews: offers superior performance to the 8800GTS at a mid range price while having a lower power consumnption, single slot cooler and will probably bring the price down on every other GPU.

Sounds good to me!
Related resources
October 29, 2007 3:44:34 PM

Not to mention that they will be releasing a more expensive, better preforming 640MB 8800GTS soon. Think of these like stepping stones across a big lake. If you don't have them, and you can't jump a whole lake, then you are going to fall in.
October 29, 2007 4:06:56 PM

The card was improved in almost every way and someone still finds a way to complain. Amazing!!! If you look at the OP's signature you'll see he has a 320 MB GTS... maybe it's just that his card was too little too early.
October 29, 2007 4:22:42 PM

LOLZ! You make me laugh, Upright. I'm running on a frickin' 8400GS! That's 'mid-range', not any of the 8800's. Trust me, I am so gettin' one of those GT's. I don't think it's 'too late' at all! In fact, its perfect timing for me, I just built a new system to stick that beautiful 1/4-paycheck into.
October 29, 2007 4:42:37 PM

I agree totally, perfect timing. Gives most of us without deep pockets a chance to catch up a bit on the gpu front. I'm running an e6400 with a galaxy 7900gs so if i get one of these and a chip in the new year and i'm sweet. I'm liking how it's all panning out at the moment. Just glad i didn't get an 8800gts last month.
October 29, 2007 5:08:35 PM

i was just about to get a 8800gtx. this card comes at a perfect time. now i can have performance on par with the gtx (who notices the few points of pfs difference when actually playing?) and still save a bunch of cash.
October 29, 2007 5:26:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah I just think your mad it didnt come out YESTERDAY and you bought a gts for more money. Get over it, thats the computer business, theres always something faster out for cheaper in a month or two, thats the way it works. I tend to only upgrade cpu/video card every 2 years. My 7600GT still is doing the trick for me. Im probably going to be getting the 8700gts, if it ever comes out or this 8800GT, and my oc'd E6300 will do me just fine for another year.

Seldom is it every two or three months. The GTX held the spot (and is still holding the spot) for being the best fo the best right now for almost a year. Although from a pricing standpoint the 8800GT is one heck of a deal. As for upgrading every one to two years, i think that long trend is coming to a close. As we're starting to get more and more performance for really decent prices. Heck you can take the cheap Pentium Dual Cores and OC them to get huge performance gains for fractions of the comparing products price! You even OCed your E6300 so you know exactly what I'm referring too.

The GPU industry seems to be under a change, or, 'revolution' if you will. Time will tell how much performance we can get for as little money as possible.
October 29, 2007 5:37:05 PM

I don't know who told the OP this, but the low/mid/high ranges are not defined by the games that are released, but by the GPUs that are available. In other words, just because a game comes out that brings a GPU to a crawl does not make that GPU a mid range or low range card - what makes it a low/mid range card is if there is something better out there.

I suspect game developers could easily put a little extra effort into things and make it so every game released can only be run on low settings for a couples years. Imagine if the textures used in oblivion (a year old now, I believe) were of a much higher resolution - even two GTX's in SLI mode might barely run oblivion on a medium setting, and future GPUs would be required to play the game at it's fullest potential.
October 29, 2007 5:51:25 PM

Upright, you state that unless you have GTX's in SLI you can't play Crysis on Medium well i have news for you something that might shock you in fact

My system
AMD X2 3800 2.0Ghz
2GB Ram DDR 400
250GB Hard Drive
7950GT 256 MB Ram
500 Watt PS

Alright even with a Non 8 Series Card i can play Crysis at 1440x900 at High settings

Also Mattc if Game Devs did that they would be shooting them selves in the foot think about it releasing a game that can only be played at Med Settings even on the Most advanced $600 video cards not everyone has the money to get one of them so if a super video card cant play it on only but Medium where does that leave everyone else that does not have 600 bux to spend on a video card .... not able to play the game at all really so they have to make them work on a large range of video cards
a b Î Nvidia
October 29, 2007 5:59:32 PM

Quote:

Crysis demo has just been released and unless would have a GTX in SLi then you ain't going to be playng it on 'medium' settings.

And I don't know what the OP is smoking, but I want some! :pt1cable:  Game played just fine on my 8800GTS-640 and s939 X2-4800+ on medium settings. I suspect his EVGA Trade-Up just expired or something. :kaola: 

-Wolf sends

P.S. Just for clarification, I'm one of those people that think 30-40 FPS average is very playable.
October 29, 2007 6:12:52 PM

rodney_ws said:
The card was improved in almost every way and someone still finds a way to complain. Amazing!!! If you look at the OP's signature you'll see he has a 320 MB GTS... maybe it's just that his card was too little too early.

Dude you are bang on the money -- if you look at my previous posts you will see the tread that I don't think the 320 GTS is worth anything at all. And yes I might, depending on price, get the GT as well -- Padding out what I originally wrote -- it does offer a great price performance and its just a timing issue what with it being released a few days after the crysis demo.

Surly someone else must be a bit annoyed that nothing appears to run Crysis well????

Be it ready or not now would be a good time for a new high end card to come out ? right or wrong?

Basically I want another card other than the 320GTS but don't wanna to pay GTX price...... The 320GTS is crippled by the lack of RAM.

If I had posted how wonderful the card looked then I wouldn't get such a great response -- my mistake with the 320GTS it was only when I slagged it off did others agree -- method to my madness?
October 29, 2007 6:34:40 PM

Surely the next high end card has to be GTX priced and the GTX now moves down in price so it rules most people out for waiting for that card.
Bottom line has to be that the 8800gt it's a great card to buy right now unless you own a GTX. Anyone who begs to differ must have bought an 8800gts 320 meg card recently.
Crisis is not an issue. It runs fine on my 7900gs, 30fps good settings and resolution. I'm with Wolfshadow on that one.
If the 8800gt ramps up you gaming like the reviews suggest then how can I or anyone else (even gts 320 meg owners) fail getting one?
October 29, 2007 7:15:02 PM

Don't know why you guys jumped all over the original poster.
9 months ago coulda had a 8800gts for $300 (if i remember right) which is almost as good as the new 8800gt. And its not selling for $230 yet. Maybe in a few weeks. 9 months is a long time when it comes to videocards.
October 29, 2007 7:16:02 PM

....Just because you cant have aa and af on doesnt mean it looks bad I cant even tell the difference with it off, and btw according to all the owners with sli 8800GTX's they actually get worse performance then a single card atm and at high settings its playable with 20-40fps and it still looks amazing. Dont post just because your mad about buying your GTS.

I also played it on medium, some high settings on a computer with a pentium D, 8800gts 320 and got 20-30 fps, and pentium d's suck.
October 29, 2007 8:27:16 PM

Just enough, just in time for me. I am glad they pushed up the launch date as my Step-Up would have expired on 11-5-07
October 29, 2007 9:55:11 PM

wont the new GT lower the price for the GTS's? its way better then a GTS yet a GTS is liek $350 adn u can buy the 2x beetr GT for $250!!
October 29, 2007 10:37:32 PM

No theyre rebuilding the 640 but discontinuing the 320 I believe
October 29, 2007 10:50:04 PM

why dont they make the 320 alot cheeper then the GT?
October 29, 2007 11:11:42 PM

I'd say that the 8800 series (being released A YEAR AGO) handles Crysis this well that isn't EVEN RELEASED YET??

Wow, you guys don't know what getting screwed is. Remember the anticipatory video card purchases for Doom 3??? Man, the 5x series totally sucked.

Bar none, the 8800GT is an awesome card.
October 29, 2007 11:31:45 PM

im pretty sure this chip the 8800GT is a crippled version of Nvidia's G92
used the same manufacturing process apparently. thus wasn't released earlier? not too sure but i think i read that somewhere. its been released as an 8800 series as its not where near the performance league of the G92, reportedly to have 3 times the processing power of the 8800GTX
of course there is ALWAYS money involved that the companies know that die hard fans at the end of the day will swallow and still buy THAT card they want...
October 29, 2007 11:44:54 PM

btw are there any current Directx10 games out? i thought i knew a couple coming out but i double checked and they just said Directx9.0c like Gears or Crysis.

EDIT: i just checked again and is DX10 even OUT?!
October 30, 2007 12:07:53 AM

Secolliyn1 said:
7950GT 256 MB Ram....Alright even with a Non 8 Series Card i can play Crysis at 1440x900 at High settings

You must be getting near single digit framerates on a 7950GT at 14x9 High.
October 30, 2007 12:21:25 AM

I am using Very High settings FOR EVERYTHING (using the hack) and on my computer, it never falls below 20FPS in open areas, and is usually 30-35 in the woods and stuff.

I find this very playable. I won't upgrade my system until the NEXT big game comes along.

My system is Windows XP 32, 2 GB RAM in Dual Channel, S939 Opteron 165 DC, OC'd to 2.25Ghz, with an 8800GTS 64 OC'd 640/1100. I play at 1440x900.

So with this old computer, I get to play at the highest settings?? Well, you won't see getting a new computer for a while. Don't know how the 320 Mb would fare using Very High Textures, so I am glad I got the 640. I hate fuzzy textures, textures are important to me.

Unless *cough* they fix the Very High Settings hack on release for XP owners, then I'd be pretty mad.
October 30, 2007 2:25:07 AM

what is this "hack"? is it just some tweaking only for the crysis demo?
October 30, 2007 7:35:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah I just think your mad it didnt come out YESTERDAY and you bought a gts for more money. Get over it, thats the computer business, theres always something faster out for cheaper in a month or two, thats the way it works. I tend to only upgrade cpu/video card every 2 years. My 7600GT still is doing the trick for me. Im probably going to be getting the 8700gts, if it ever comes out or this 8800GT, and my oc'd E6300 will do me just fine for another year.

I agree with MMM. That's right I know who you really are.
October 30, 2007 7:19:41 PM

Quote:
Crysis demo has just been released and unless would have a GTX in SLi then you ain't going to be playng it on 'medium' settings.

So the code monkeys spit out a program that 2% of the market can run. :golfclap:

There's no art in that. And it's certainly not video card manufacturers' problem. I think your criticism is misplaced.
October 31, 2007 2:41:38 AM

Actually the reason for most people's poor perfomance is Crysis' lack of dual core support. This should come in the full game but for some reason hasn't in the demo. Once it does, then maybe we'll be able to turn AA on and such.
October 31, 2007 3:18:36 AM

The 8800GT is a great card for the money. I really don't see what's to complain about?
October 31, 2007 4:07:01 AM

phantom93, DX10 is indeed out and has been for awhile. I don't think many people play on Vista so probably not popular yet.

Anyways, 8800gt is cheaper, faster, efficient, single-sloted, cooler, quieter, lighter, and has more memory than a 8800GTS 320mb. This is what improving the technology can get you, which is damn good.

I just want that damn 9800GTX to come out sooner. But then maybe ATI/AMD wouldn't be able to keep up? :kaola: 
October 31, 2007 12:50:54 PM

i play crysis w/ everthing on medium, 4xaa and 1280x1024 res. i get about 30 fps. little lower. when intense action.

7900gt
2gigs ram (will have 3gigs today)
intell q6600 2.4.
October 31, 2007 2:28:29 PM

A cheaper faster mid range graphics card comes out and somebody complanes, wow.

Crysis still hasn't been released yet, keep you'r pants on, and the new top line from AMD/ATI and nVidia may well be able to play Crysis at decent settings and resolutions, and they're coming in the next quarter to 6 months. What's new about the latest benchmark game not being playable for the first 6 months of it's release, umm, just remember back a short time to Doom3 or Oblivion anybody?
October 31, 2007 2:55:54 PM

i'd argue if i knew what the hell the OP was talking about. but since i can't understand a sentence of his, i'll go back to the bong...
October 31, 2007 6:31:20 PM

Great card or not a great card -- it was plain and simply released to late, the gap in the market was left open to long -- even reviewers are saying its the cards biggest down side!
October 31, 2007 11:15:53 PM

I think the 8800GT will be just what I need. Been waiting for a good mid range card to jump to. Need to replace my 7600GT that my wife will inherit soon.
October 31, 2007 11:22:26 PM

love when family inherits the old stuff
October 31, 2007 11:59:14 PM

I don't see how the original poster could trash the timing of the 8800GT.

Fudzilla reported today that the 700MHz clocked 8800GT cards actually beat the 8800GTX by nearly 500 points in the 3D Mark06.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

I think this is incredible value for a card.

This time last year the 8800GTXs opened up at about $600.

And now a year later you can get an 8800GT card that can out perform the 8800GTX for half the price or less.

Thats incredible VALUE!
November 1, 2007 1:10:31 AM

3dmark poof. In real games gtx wins.
November 1, 2007 10:16:03 AM

The 8800GTX might possibly win in some games by a frame or two but the real loser is going to be the person who pays nearly twice as much for it for what a 8800GT costs.
November 1, 2007 11:43:05 AM

RWayne is absolutely correct. Anyone that is buying this card for gaming won't give a good nickel about 3DMark. They'll just look at how it performs on games. And what gamer actually notices a difference of a few fps anyway? the game is already running at above 30-40, so your eye cannot see any difference.
If you want to buy the most powerful card, don't buy the GTX, wait for the 9x series. Or just spend the $250 and get his great value card and then you can wait until the 9x comes and then some more till it's prices are down. The GT will be able to run upcoming games at higher res and details for a long time.
November 1, 2007 12:43:52 PM

The upright man obviously cant configure his system to perform as my e6400 8800gts 320mb runs crysis on high settings with a minimum of 40 fps confirmed by fraps latest version at 1680 x 1050.
It seems the ones that complain the most usually know the least.
November 1, 2007 12:58:00 PM

theuprightman24 said:

What are you talking about!? I have a GTX, single, and I am running the demo at high quality and was running it at very high quality. The only reason I turned it down to high quality was because I was getting headaches from the detail.

As for the card being released to late.... No, this card was intended to come out for Crysis. It’s that simple. This can and probably is the card that will bring many users up from their old DX9 cards to the DX10 cards. It has the price and performance.

Incase you want to know my system.

Q6600 - (I see your AMD and see you don’t have enough cores)
4gb of DDR2 800
8800 GTX BFG OC2
Thermaltake Though Power 700w
2 160gig WD in Raid 0
X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card
November 1, 2007 1:26:35 PM

Saying it's "too late" because it has problems with a game that was meant to push the technical envelope, possibly to the point of having its highest settings made to be deliberately out of reach for the time being?

Drugs are bad, m'kay?

When the 8800GT is able to chew up and spit out all games not named Crysis with equal aplomb, I don't see the issue of it being "too late".
November 1, 2007 1:48:32 PM

The GT rocks everything but Crysis, it's only 1 game. It's a big game, but alot of people are happy with TF2, WIC, UE3. I don't plan on buying Crysis right away myself.
November 2, 2007 3:22:24 AM

Does anyone think at this point that the ATI HD3850 and HD3870 will offer any serious competition against the 8800GT when they come out mid November?

I have seen reports estimating that these cards will be anywhere from 8% to 20% slower than the 8800GT for about $50 less.

But then again I have seen reports stating that the HD3870 is going to be much faster than the HD2900XT.

So at this point I don't know what to think.

It is going to be impossible to tell until the product is released and the actual benches come out.

I have seen some sites confirm prices of these new ATI offerings between $179 to $199.

I am very curious about Mid November.

At this point I am HEAVILY leaning towards the 8800GT. I think ATI is going to have a tough time fending this card off.

I think it was absolutely BRILLIANT on Nvidia's part taking AMD by surprise and moving the launch date of the 8800GT forward by 2 weeks. I have to applaud them for that. That is how you DOMINATE in business. That move made Nvidia a ton of money and will pay dividends off for a long time by being the first to market.
November 3, 2007 10:16:44 AM

2 little 2 late? Nah! It's almost as fast as an 8800GTX and with a slight overclock, which seems very easy to accomplish, it equals the GTX and that for half the price! Of course there will be other faster cards out - there usually are - and when they come and I am in the market, I will buy one to suit.

I just bought a Zotac 8800GT 660/1600/1800 (£169 delivered at Novatech). Upped the low-set fan to 60% and get 720/1720/2000. It will likely go higher. I can play the Crysis demo at 1680x1050 with all set at high without any issues. What's not to like about that? Also, I will likely add another GT as soon as I feel the need - and still stay within the GTX cost. Hopefully good competition will push performance up and prices down. AMD did that for us in the CPU market. Likely they'll do it for the GPU too.

For me the 8800GT is very timely. I do not see other performance cards outdoing it by too much for some time to come.
!