gamerguy1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
The holiday season is approaching. yAy.

Building a new system. Santa gave the ok to start before Christmas.
My question is, I have been sitting on 2 SCSI ultra 320 hard drives. Already bought an LSI ribbon. Will an Adaptec controller work just as well as an LSI controller with the LSI ribbon? :wahoo:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hmmm.. I used to be a scsi user. But these days if kinda find it pointless to use scsi anymore. I'd run a SATA setup, since that is the most common component on newer MB.

I know scsi hd can last longer, but man, my old SATA 80 gig is still working from 6 years ago by Seagate, still working for my linux setup, and works as fast as my old 9 gig 10k WD scsi ultra, which I put to bed. :lol:

You'd have even neater cable management for better airflow for cooling. Something to consider.

As far as your question, not sure what LSI ribbon your talking about. is it the ultra wide ribbin? All I can say is, as long as the pin out matches, yes. (50pin or 80pin)

gamerguy1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Just building it for the sake of building it. The HDs were part of a trade. Im aware the performance gains are minimal, but may have a side gig building Sun servers in my spare time.
My hobby has been building my own stuff for two years now, so Im looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks for the info.

The person whom I traded them from, recommended Adaptec, but LSI is slightly more economical.