Use external mic to amplify sound thru external speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegenz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
How do I use an external hand held mic to amplify my voice thru external speakers? I have tested the mic. It records my voice, so I know the mic works. The speakers work as well. I have ID'd my mic thru control panel. All the sound levels are set to max. All I want to do is speak into the mic and hear my voice loud and clear from the speakers. I want my voice heard when I am presenting a slide presentation.

Solution

If you're using Windows 7, open Start Menu, type "sound", and click on Sound (it should be the first link under Control Panel).
Select the 'Recording' tab, find your microphone, Right-Click it, then 'Properties'.
In the new window, select the 'Listen' tab, then Check "Listen to this device". Press Apply.

Done.

If you...

thegenz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

My mic does show up in playback devices. I selected the device I want as the default and apply it. I go to "set up mic" and set the volume to the max, speak into the mic to recognize my voice, but still no sound out of the speakers as I speak into the mic. I have Vista op system. Is there more I should be doing to solve this problem?

thegenz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

I'm afraid I do not know what my audio software is for sure. Windows Media Player opens when I want to play music. If it is, then I don't know how to access the separate control panel to allow me more control over the options.

The external mic brand name I am using is a Samson. I sent an e-mail to their support group at samsontech.com and explained what I wanted to do and asked them for suggestions. Their reply was quote "you need to tell your computer to send out the mic signal. Off hand right now, we do not know of any programs that are designed for that usage" unquote.

The Best Buy Geek Squad folks thought I would need an after market sound card to accomplish what I want to do. No one at the store I visited had an experience using a mic and speakers to amplify ones voice through a laptop computer.

I am going to stop pursuing a solution to my problem. As a back-up plan, I am going to use my 40 year old Sansui amplifier that has a mic port with volume control and hook up an external speaker. Not exactly "high tech", but at least it is simple and works. Thanks for your reply.

You don't need an after-market card... you just need to know your way around the Windows Control Panel. If the options exist, that is where they will be found. You also must ensure that you have the correct mic selected in your Playback devices... since you have a laptop, you will have two mics... internal and external.

Here is why you can't do this. Feedback and echo. You will talk into the mic, you will get a microsecond delay, the mic will pick up your speaker output and send it back into the speakers, and so on. It's like when you have talk on sound detection working, it will start picking up your sound and activate the mic which will start the echo.

Just get a cheap PA system. http://www.cheapbandgear.com/EUROPORT_EPA40_p/epa40.htm, they were made not to do this so much.

thegenz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

Everything you have suggested, I did before I posted my question. You are of no help!

thegenz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

As I stated in the last paragraph in my last reply, I have a 40 year old Sansui amplifier with a mic port and volume control and will hook up an external speaker. This is as cheap as you can get and it works.

No one gets a "Best Answer" to my question.

prakash_87

Honorable
May 28, 2012
prakash chandra pandey

this is very simple but funny also. if u want to use my trick then u must have internet connection speed atleast 10Kbpsand two different email id in google.
download google Talk (http://www.google.com/talk/).

1. log in id1 in google talk
2. log in id2 in google+ (https://plus.google.com)
3.send friend request from id1 to id2
4. accept the friend request using id2
5. in ur g+ account id1 will appers as online
6. call id1
7. accept the call using id1.

THATS ALL...............

t4akawolf

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2013

If you're using Windows 7, open Start Menu, type "sound", and click on Sound (it should be the first link under Control Panel).
Select the 'Recording' tab, find your microphone, Right-Click it, then 'Properties'.
In the new window, select the 'Listen' tab, then Check "Listen to this device". Press Apply.

Done.

If you want to stop it, just Uncheck "Listen to this device" and press Apply.

You're welcome.

- Nicholas Abhishek Richards

P.S.: This might work for other Windows operating systems too. I'm not certain of it, though. Use the above information with other operating systems at your own discretion.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.