Another 8800GT related topic.

adam21

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Okay, I need opinions. Make me feel like I haven't screwed up and shoulda waited to get the GT vs the GTS... ugh...

Anyway, I didn't even know that the 8800GT was going to be released so soon, I was still expecting it to be released in November sometime. I didn't wanna wait, because, even though patience is a virtue, I'm impatient. *smacks Nvidia for releasing it early without giving me a notice* *smacks self for being in a hole for the past month and not knowing*

I've made a graph comparing my particular GTS model (XFX XXX 320MB edition) to the XFX 8800GT. Here's the link: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd200/whadam21/graph01.gif

What I am most pissed about is the memory amount and the price. When I first heard of the 8800GT, I was expecting it to be lower in rank than the GTS, and, apparently, Nvidia says it is. But just look at the specs... and the 3DMark '06 scores...

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4789/testqt9.jpg
(Image taken from http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?p=5241382)

I paid almost right at $300 for my GTS, and now that the GT is out, the model that I would buy is about $260. The memory is 512MB vs my 320MB GTS, which is probably what I'm most upset about (as I said before).

Originally I planned to upgrade to a GTX or GTS 640MB when the GeForce 9 series cards come out, but now I am considering putting 2 GT's in SLI since most DX10 games will be able to use SLI (even though right now I am against it).

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying the 8800GTS is a bad buy, I just wanna know if I should have waited to get the 8800GT. Oh, and, for me, the 320MB version was fine for now since I am only running at a 1440 x 900 resolution. My GTS can easily get about 100 or more FPS in BF2 and about 80 in BF2142 with everything at max, but I am more concerned about how long this card will stay a good card.

Anyway, just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

-Adam

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Of course the 8800GTS will be fine.
It was a VERY popular card for everyone with spending limits.

Yeah, the 8800GT is a little better.
If you can still return and perhaps pay a 15% restocking fee, you may be able to get the 8800GT and break even.

If the GTS is playing the games you like at rates you are happy with, I wouldn't worry about. Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of returning a perfectly good card. Maybe that's just me though.

ramo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Bought a 8800GTX three weeks ago.

I also thought the 8800gt would be placed under the 8800 GTS320
Thought it would be build to compete with the 2900pro

The new 8800GTS 640 will probably be faster then the old GTX.

Think you made a better disision then me buying my GTX

I am still happy with my card, but do have some regrets if i see the price off the newly released GT

adam21

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007

Well, here's the deal...

My friend is stuck on a very crappy Sony VAIO that his parents insisted on buying (yes, we're teens :p), and he is desperately in need of a new computer. Currently, since he doesn't know exactly what hardware to pick out, I picked him out a decent rig with a dual core CPU for about $700-$800 and it will have an 8600GT in it. My first idea, instead of sending back the GTS, is to sell him the GTS for a bit cheaper than I bought it, and then buy the 2 8800GT's. Not sure how this'll work for him just yet, but I'm pretty sure it will. If it won't though, then yeah, I probably will just send the card back and get a GT.

Still on the fence about it, so we'll see.

Thanks for the input :)

adam21

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007

It's not really the games that I play right now that I am concerned about, it's more the games I will be playing in the future.

That is true. If your friend can afford your GTS, I'd go that route. That way everyone will be happy! :D

adam21

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007

Heh, yeah, that would be cool. He said he might be able to do it, but I think in the end it will end up with him just buying a power supply that can run the thing and letting it be as bottlenecked as it wants in the PC he has right now.

He has an Intel video card right now, so pretty much anything, even an ATI X300 is a step-up for him.

When I said I had picked him out a decent rig and that it was about 700-800 dollars, that would be if he bought the GTS with it and not the 8600GT. I could easily get him to buy just the GTS and the power supply if he wanted.

We'll see though.

Thanks guys :D

EDIT:
Also, my dad is the facilities manager (one of the big boss-mans) at an electronics warehouse in Ohio, where we used to live. We got most of the parts for my first computer build a while back from him, and I was just wondering if you think it's worth it to get two PNY 8800GT cards from him versus getting two EVGA or XFX cards from Newegg. I may be able to get them cheaper, but the problem is that PNY cards aren't exactly known for their lifespan...

Any thoughts?