Sign in with
Your question

What could be stopping my q6600 going over 2.7ghz?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • BIOS
  • Flash
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 20, 2008 2:38:21 PM

anything higher and it hangs at the bios flash screen.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=9...

More about : stopping q6600 7ghz

January 20, 2008 4:58:30 PM

Ram settings?

It could be your ram...
January 22, 2008 4:16:10 PM

Do you just try and shoot for the ol' 9x333 setup?, like evil said, check your memory timings, make sure they are auto at the least, PCI-E 100Mhz, make. Make sure your giving both RAM and CPU the right amount of voltage. Some people I believe are able to get 3Ghz without changing the voltage but some chips are different than others. LoL throw us a bone man, need a little more info than that :) 
Related resources
January 22, 2008 5:04:13 PM

If you can't think of anything else try 5 MHz increments over and over til you get up to about 350x9.

Could be a FSB hole. 680i's are famous for them.
January 22, 2008 5:47:13 PM

Try your memory timings @ 5-5-5-15 with 2.1 or 2.0 volts
and unlink them from the FSB

Increase your NB volts to 1.4v.....

Have you installed the latest BIOS for your board?
January 25, 2008 4:01:16 PM

ok, this is all I've done>

Set the FSB - Memory clock to "unlinked"

Changed the FSB (QDR) to 1200mhz (2.7ghz)

Left memory at 800mhz

and changed the vcore to 1.3v (everything else on auto) when trying to overclock higher, but atm its at 1.22v.

I went straight for 2.7ghz and that seems to be the highest.

CPU-Z says my mem-timings are 5-5-5-18

It mite be my bios version (1305) but i've heard that updating could be risky, is that true?
January 25, 2008 4:19:39 PM

Ignore the link in my first post, It was to another topic which had all the info I just posted but its gone now.
January 25, 2008 4:24:02 PM

There's always an inherent risk when flashing a new BIOS, I get it over with very early on in the process of building a system.

That having been said...I've flashed a new BIOS to various systems about 5 times or so and have never had a problem...just make sure you follow the instructions to a T.

Increase your vCore to 1.4v or even 1.45v (its safe for testing for sure) and see if that gets you anywhere...you can always go down incrementally to see where the threshold is.

Your memory voltage is also very important if you didn't change it; often 680i boards undervolt your ram to like 1.8v or something....

If some of these settings aren't available see if a BIOS update will add them to your options...(does happen sometimes)
January 25, 2008 4:30:43 PM

"Your memory voltage is also very important if you didn't change it; often 680i boards undervolt your ram to like 1.8v or something.... "

yeah, CPU-Z shows it as 1.8v. Should I make it higher? if so, whats safe?
January 25, 2008 4:48:35 PM

_aurora_ said:
"Your memory voltage is also very important if you didn't change it; often 680i boards undervolt your ram to like 1.8v or something.... "

yeah, CPU-Z shows it as 1.8v. Should I make it higher? if so, whats safe?

That depends on your ram. It should specify what the limit is.
January 25, 2008 5:08:18 PM

2.0v will be completely fine in my opinion....I think heat would become a problem at >2.1v

If you have good airflow in your case then don't sweat it...

I can almost guarantee that your 1.8v was a problem...
January 25, 2008 5:12:09 PM

ok will try now.
January 25, 2008 5:28:28 PM

nope, didn't work. The screen just went black and I had to restart.
January 25, 2008 5:33:31 PM

_aurora_ said:
nope, didn't work. The screen just went black and I had to restart.

Too much voltage will also cause issues. Did you try 1.9V? You did put it to 1:1, right?
January 25, 2008 5:37:14 PM

no, its on "unlinked", I cant select a ratio.
January 25, 2008 5:39:57 PM

_aurora_ said:
no, its on "unlinked", I cant select a ratio.

That could be why. When increasing the fsb, you're also OCing the ram, so if it's higher than the specified 800MHz, there's no guarantee it'll work properly. What's the ratio right now?
January 25, 2008 5:50:34 PM

if its FSB: DRAM, its 3:4.
January 25, 2008 5:51:09 PM

dont know how that face got there

thats better.
January 25, 2008 5:55:47 PM

_aurora_ said:
if its FSB: DRAM, its 3:4.

Yeah, that's the issue right there. Corsair ram doesn't OC well.

If you did 333 x 9, your ram would be at 888MHz. Since you laxed the timings to 5-5-5-18, try increasing the voltage to 2.1V.
January 25, 2008 6:00:27 PM

So I should have the memory "linked" so it overclocks with the FSB? Before I started to overclock, I was being told that its better to leave it "unlinked".
January 25, 2008 6:04:38 PM

_aurora_ said:
So I should have the memory "linked" so it overclocks with the FSB? Before I started to overclock, I was being told that its better to leave it "unlinked".

I don't understand what you mean by linked and unlinked. FSB is always linked to ram.
January 25, 2008 6:25:29 PM

I run mine unlinked....
Like you said it's always somewhat linked but you don't have to have a common ratio like 4:3 or 1:1....(however your BIOS might not support this)

What's your NorthBridge voltage?

and what plugs do you have running as power to your mobo...?

I still recommend updating your BIOS if it isn't the newest one...I did that before I started any overclocking, and I had a breeze with my clocks working
January 31, 2008 1:22:35 PM

What kind of mobo/chipset are you using. I couldn't get my q6600 past 2.8ghz on the mobo in my sig. I had to disable inte's c1e speed throttling to keep things stable...and now for some reason, if i try to lower the speed to 2.9 ghz, i cant get past bios. CPU-Z is reporting 1.26v.
February 1, 2008 4:24:20 AM

"What kind of mobo/chipset are you using"

I've got a Striker Extreme.

I've been looking around on other sites for a while now and quite a few people have this problem (cant get over 2.7ghz) but no one seems to know what it could be.
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2008 7:43:07 AM

ok firstly i have a q6600 on a asus commando which i belive is simmilar to the striker exteme, mine is stable at 3.6ghz. ok u need to fine out what the max voltage for ure ram is and set it to say .1 volt below eg if its say 2.1 then 2.0 will be fine. always run the mem linked because its more stable and you can push further.

if it posts and crashes loading into windows then thats because of vdroop because when its loaded it drops the voltage and will crash, there are 2 ways of sorting this you can do the pencil mod which might work or you can up your voltage so it doesnt crash.

you also need to relax ure mem timeings and disable all the cpu settings, and as long as you dont go crazy with the voltage then you wont fry ure cpu.

im useing a vcore as read in cpu-z 1.456 thats 1.5 in the bios id sujest not going any further than 1.5 in cpu-z because well thats the max the processor is ment to take.

what cooling do you have if ure temps are approaching 70 under load then thats to high im useing watercooling with 2 360mm rads, so if your useing the stock cooler then you have no chance because a quad will run very hot.

erm you might of just hit a stabilty hole on your mobo so if you just try a bit faster instead of going up in small steps you might find it will be stable at say 3.0ghz.

dont be affraid to run ure cpu at more than 1.3 volts if you run everest and look for cpu properties it will tell you what the default voltage for ure cpu is the lower then the better chance of an overclock. mine says the default is 1.31.

when you do get it stable into windows then you need to stress test it for a few hours then you can start to reduce the timeings on your memory and and enable the cpu settings such as c1e and speed step. if you think you mem is stoping you then you can run mem test of a bootable floppy or cd and test it for aprox 8 runs.

things that limit your overclock firstly its a quad and the q6600 cannot go further than 3.6 without expensive cooling, 4 sticks of ram will lower the overclock aswell (dont know why), mem speed will effect it if your trying to overclock the ram that might be ure sticking point, chipset i tried a 650i and was not able to oc to more than 2.7, a 680i has it a bit better at about 3, but the best chipset to oc on is intel. and last but not least cooling if your processor is running hot then it need more vcore and produces more heat so a good coller is needed.

i know its long but it will help i spent ages oc my quad and then found out the mobo was crap and then the mem was crap, so loominto what the max oc is for your particular setup.
February 1, 2008 8:50:19 AM

"what cooling do you have"

ASUS Silent Knight 2
http://www.quietpc.com/files/images/products/asus-silen...

It Idles at 25-30c, not sure about load.

"erm you might of just hit a stabilty hole on your mobo so if you just try a bit faster instead of going up in small steps you might find it will be stable at say 3.0ghz. "

I've tried that, 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, but nothing. The max voltage I've tried is 1.35.

"4 sticks of ram will lower the overclock aswell (dont know why) "

I have 4x1gb, but I've seen people get a good oc with that RAM.

Will try some of the other things you said.
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2008 9:10:33 AM

try upping the voltage to say 1.5 in bios and see what you can get then lower it progressivley until its stable try overlcocking with only 2 sticks of ram not 4, find the load temps if they are below 60 then keep pushing when they approach 70 then stop espically if u want 24/7 use
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2008 9:10:44 AM

try upping the voltage to say 1.5 in bios and see what you can get then lower it progressivley until its stable try overlcocking with only 2 sticks of ram not 4, find the load temps if they are below 60 then keep pushing when they approach 70 then stop espically if u want 24/7 use
February 2, 2008 4:00:39 PM

I'm starting to think that something mite be wrong with something, because everything I do, I just cant get over 2.7ghz. People have been going straight for 3.0ghz and its fine for them. Even other people with the same kind of setup as me.
I know theres quite afew people that have the same problem but some of them have different mobos so its not just happening on the striker.

if theres anyone here with a q6600(3.0ghz+)+striker extreme, can you list your bios settings and version.

Thanks
February 3, 2008 11:46:01 AM

I just got it to run at 2.8ghz, but after I restarted, it wouldn't boot, and now it wont do it again.
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2008 2:08:58 PM

tell me all your overclocking settings, i bet you just have something turned on or not high enough, also find the cpu vid,
February 3, 2008 2:58:15 PM

Memory clock "unlinked"

FSB (QDR) to 1200mhz (2.7ghz)

Left memory at 800mhz

1.35v (everything else on auto) when trying to overclock higher, but atm its at 1.22v.

CPU-Z says my mem-timings are 5-5-5-18

"Execute Disable Bit" and Virtualization Tecnology" are the only things Enabled.

It would be nice if I could get it to work, but I've just e-mailed the place I bought it from to see if I could get the MoBo changed as it mite be faulty.
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2008 3:36:49 PM

well first link the mem and fsb that will drop ure ram down to 600mhz but you wont notice anything, disable disablebit, and unless u use vmware then disable virtualisation, set vcore at 1.5v nb 1.6v and mem to whatever its ment to be, then put 1333 into fsb if it gets into windows try it a bit hight and so on until ure happy with the speed.
February 3, 2008 3:50:32 PM

you just scared the s*** out of me. I did what you said, went to "save and exit" then te computer restarted and then I got a long beep (dunno what that means, but it wasnt good), I had to unplug to reset to defaults.
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2008 9:01:40 PM

long beep is ure memory, did you set it to linked and then check it was set to the correct multiplyer, needs to be 1:1 anything higher and your running your memory to fast. is there a bios update that allows you to change the fsb ram multiplyer, that will be whats stopping you. i cant oc more than 3.6 cos my ram. try this website has same comp and setup as ure self.
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=20451 as for the settings i told u to use are well within the safe limits for benchmarking not nessically for 24/7 use
February 4, 2008 7:54:50 AM

Every guide I've seen says to have memory unlinked. But last night I was messing around with it, and tried it linked.

Memory clock "linked"

3:4, if I did 1:1, the RAM would be at 1289mhz.

FSB (QDR) to 1289mhz (2.9ghz)

memory went to about 858mhz

vcore 1.22v (everything else on auto)

and its fine (for now), Im getting there. :D 
February 4, 2008 8:24:44 AM

Im so happy now, im not at 3.0ghz yet but at least I know Im not stuck at 2.7ghz any more.

Just need to get past 2.9ghz now.

a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2008 2:19:37 PM

persistance is the key, what you have to bear in mind if you do 1:1 the ram will be set to 2x the fsb and the fsb(qdr) is the fsbx4 so does it tell you what the speed of the ram will be when its set to 1:1?, here ive just found ure problem :p  set the linked ratio to sync mode :p  then go mad cos ull be able to hit 3 np, anymore problems pm me and ill be glad to help.
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2008 2:21:49 PM

oh and good luck hitting 3.6.
February 4, 2008 2:38:09 PM

"oh and good luck hitting 3.6. "

lol, I'm not going to go mad, I'll be happy at 3.0ghz.

Will try sync mode now.

Oh, and a little while ago, when windows was about to load, the screen flashed blue and then restarted. only happened once though.
February 4, 2008 3:07:43 PM

"set the linked ratio to sync mode then go mad cos ull be able to hit 3 np, anymore problems pm me and ill be glad to help. "

That didn't work.
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2008 3:22:04 PM

what voltage u try, try auto they will give you a rough guide as to the kind of voltage u need for 3ghz, the voltage u need will increase exponentially as you go faster, dont be scared of useing 1.45 for 24/7 use aslong as underload is below 70 u wont burn the processor out in less then a few years.
February 4, 2008 3:37:21 PM

I was at 1.4v when I tried 3.0 and 3.2ghz, but I'll give it another try tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I seem to be getting random crashes @ 2.9ghz so I put I back to 2.8ghz.
a b K Overclocking
February 5, 2008 7:12:01 AM

when it crashes it is normaly the vcore is to low, im on 1.5 in bios for 3.6ghz.
sometimes tho it can be the north bridge if its getting to hot or not enough voltage.
February 6, 2008 4:02:16 PM

Hey, I also have a problem getting past 2.7Ghz. I can run it at 2.7ghz, but freezes just after I push it more than that.
Here are my current settings.

Core Speed 2700mhz
9x300mhz
FSB 1200mhz
CPU-Z's core voltage reading - 1.224V - bios settings 1.35v
Ballistix Tracer 8500 5-5-5-15
Speedstep off
G0 rev

if I touch the NorthBridge settings I get a no-post.
never been higher than 2.8ghz =[

running an artic freezer pro 7 (air) and full load is 60-65c
a b K Overclocking
February 6, 2008 7:56:24 PM

iamtakeo well make sure ure mem is linked to you fsb in sync mode, relax the mem timeings and then up the voltage, if it still doesnt boot then disable all the cpu options cos they make it unstable. dont go over 70c load
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!