Vista Motherboard Swap

coletrx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Hi there I have a Windows Vista computer, what do they say about if it aint broke dont fix it? Well ive decided that I need to side grade from a GA-965P-DS3 to a GA-G33-SH. Everything else will stay the same, RAM CPU HDD. There is also an XP partitian as well in dual boot. The southbridge on the DS3 is an ICH8, and on the SH its a ICH9. The SATA driver might load it, does anyone know? Do you think it will boot?

I need to do this because ive become obsessed with small computer cases and need an matx board.

albenza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Well.. backup any important stuff first ofcourse, then uninstall the chipset/onboard sound/Lan and what not, and give it a go.

I personally think it will fail horrible.. burn and crash! BSOD and so on.. but hey, you never know.

Either way you will probably need to do a clean install if your system is to run most stable and optimal.

Good luck, and let us know how it turned out.

coletrx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Its will probably happen that way! Im thinking of an easy way so I could go back if it went bad. Its not going ahead 100%, actually I was looking for some positive reinforcement. Looks like I was looking in the wrong place :D

coletrx

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
True say might put this one on the back burner its not worth it, there is nothing wrong with the current setup. Its only 6 months old but I cant help tinkering.