First new system in 5+ years.. need help/suggestions

wyrdabi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
I'm looking to replace my aging and barely-working Alienware machine with a home-built beauty. I need some help with component compatibility, since I'm not completely sure what I've picked out all works together. Also, any suggestions for changes in components would be much appreciated. I'll do some FPS gaming on here, a lot of multi-tasking, and some video editing. I'm trying to keep the entire system under $800... college student, what can I say? So.. looking for best quality for my dollar.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=6365692&WishListTitle=Budget+gaming+machine

1_get P5K or P5K-E instead of that board because the DDR3 option of P5KC is limited to 4gb and it wont become useful because the DDR2 option is limtied to 8GB , also P5K and P5K-E OC better than P5KC

2_Get a x1950 instead of 8600gt

3_Get DDR2 800 instead of 1066 and save some money , dont worry DDR2 800 performs very closely to 1066 and OCs very nice

wyrdabi

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks for the tips guys. I have all the other components ready, and I thought about an aftermarket CPU cooler/thermal paste.. but decided those are things I can upgrade in the near future (to lessen the sticker shock of throwing down $700 bucks). I don't plan on doing any initial overclocking, so hopefully I won't need them at first. Parts are ordered.. should get here this week! Can't wait.