Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How is my christmas build!!?? Counting the days!

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2007 6:49:51 AM

Intel Q6600, OC'd to ?
(get new penryn when they come down, to go with mobo)
ASUS Maximus Formula X38
Thermalright Ultra 120 Ext.
OCZ 2x2GB PC2 8500 Reaper HPC
2x ATI X2950XT 512MB (will be out by then) C.F.
Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 500GB
Logitek Z5500 5.1 Digital
CoolerMaster Stacker 830
Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 22" 2ms 3000:1
(& already have Multisync 19")
Vista x64

~$4000 CAD. And 5 or 6 new games to play! (have to leave money in my budget for those...)
I'm gonna wrap this baby up all in individual peices and be like a kid again christmas morning! I'm sure the freaking out when my toy doesn't work properly will be included! Upgrading from a mid-range system of 4 years ago.

Any suggestions??

More about : christmas build counting days

October 14, 2007 7:36:07 AM

Everything looks good so far..

glad you picked out a x38 mobo. Their performance will increase with new bios updates. ATM They are pretty even with p35's. Also great future proofing for PCI-E 2.0....

Nice choice on the thermalright ultra 120 extreme. Couple it thought with a Scythe S-Flex SFF21F...67 CFM with a 28 DBA rating..Perfect mix of air flow and noise.

Downside..Your memory..Doesn't exist..they only have 2x2 Reapers in pc2 6400..Which is 800 mhz rated speed....If you plan to OC...Those chips are currently unknown it seems in terms of what IC's they use. Not because no one knows but they are very new. Just been released it seems. There are no sites which even talk about it..Just gave the model number a search in google and couldn't find much....But by the time you purchase all will be known. I'm planning to nab some reapers maybe for my upcoming rig in a few months...but not sure yet...I either want D9GMH microns or D9GKX....gotta see all my choices first.

Nice choice on the hard drive. Seagate drives are extremely reliable. Only brand that has never died on me yet. you might want to look into nabbing the 7200.11 version. It only comes in 1 TB though...But it has a higher transfer rate then the raptors...Just like the WD Caviar...Now that WD actual has some competition in terms of performance against their raptors...We should be seeing a raptor refresh next year which is going to be exciting...Considering your budget..I would recommend nabbing a raptor with that 500 gb if possible. Everytime I come across high high budget builds..Or high performance gaming/workstations I recommend a raptor. Great drives...

Great choice on the case...I'm planning to get the same. you didn't state what PSU you're getting..MAKE SURE you get a quality PSU....

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=...

Use that list to nab either a tier 1 or tier 2 psu...Keep in mind though that the extremely long PSU's such as the enermax galaxy won't fit in the Stacker 830..But they will in the 832....Just suggesting this incase your trying to nab the best PSU possible. Just stay with tier 1 and tier 2 and you'll be fine. make sure you have enough amperages as well as watts to support everything...

I'm planning to get the cooler master stacker 830 myself ^_^...with all the fans filled with SFF21F S-Flex fans..and two fan controllers in the 5.25 front bays to control them all...^_^..God I can't wait. The thing is going to be a beast.

Regarding the monitor. Is this going to be a movie display also? If so get a 24 inch monitor so you can support 1080P....22 inch monitors don't go up to 1920x1200. If you really want a quick quick panel you may as well nab a TN...But you might want to get a PVA/MVA panel for really rich colors to make the gaming experience more pleasurable. Although keep in mind PVA/MVA are the slowest of the panels so you might notice some ghosting. Choice is yours on that though...

Hope that helps. If you have any questions feel free to ask..kinda rushed the post since I'm about to watch a movie. If you have ANY questions regarding anything..Just ask and I'll help out to as much as my ability.
October 14, 2007 4:55:40 PM

Ah, I meant 4x1GB for the memory... Thanks! Thanks for all the praise too!

The PSU I was going to get is the OCZ Game Extreme 850W. I haven't been able to find much info on it though...is it decent?

edit: ah, the OCZ PSU is tier 2...thanks for the link

Yes I have been waivering on the monitor size. Originally I had planned ongetting the "BenQ FP241WZ 24in Widescreen LCD w/ DVI, HDMI, 6ms, Black", but wasn't sure if it would be good for gaming or if such a big monitor would affect frame rates. This one is $600 CAD, the 22" is $300. Saves a few bucks, and I don't like pushing past the $4000 barrier...I can, but I start feeling foolish. 24" would be nice though for Civ4, and any other game for that matter. Maybe I could just get 2GB ram for now, spend the money I save there on the monitor.

Thanks Kamrooz!
Related resources
October 14, 2007 5:16:08 PM

Sexy config there, will be looking for update posts from you in january. :) 

I would tend to agree about the monitor choice though. Go with something that supports higher resolutions, god knows you'll have the muscle to power it. I'm using a Dell 24" WS at 1920x1200 with no hitches, so yours should be even smoother.

Also, and I'm sure it goes without saying, make sure you get the G0 stepping on that q6600. I have the same HS with the Scythe and am OCed to 3.3 and have the suspicion that I can probably squeak out a few more MHz if I were to take the time.
October 14, 2007 5:52:38 PM

Lovely case there :)  I have the Stacker 832 and all I have to say is it's great! Just make sure you don't buy noisy fans cause noise X 7 = jet plane. Oh are you buying the Stacker 830 evo or the regular one?
October 14, 2007 6:02:56 PM

The case is the CM Stacker 830 Aluminum. It holds 4 fans in a swinging ;)  side panel, and 2 or 3 in the chassis. I think I will spend some time figuring out how many fans I actually need running...my current P4 Northwood screams as it is though, so it would have to be pretty loud for me to notice!

@treverblain...definitely getting the G0! For the money I'm giving these guys, they can go through their stock and find one or order it for me special. Decided to go with the BenQ 24" too!!

I could order it all now, but I have to wait for the new ATI cards and if I do that, maybe some prices will have come down too. It is a bday/christmas/graduation(masters astrophysics) gift to myself, so I realy should wait, but it is painful.
October 14, 2007 9:53:11 PM

Ahhh..If you are getting 4x1 of the pc2-8500 reaper modules you're good to go. They use D9GMH micron. Very sought after chips. Great overclockers as well. I'm a OCZ fan myself when it comes to memory. Their customer service is simply fantastic.

Try to get a 24 incher though. Trust me...a 22 incher really isn't worth it for a new monitor. Although PVA/MVA is the slowest in terms of response time and what not..I would really suggest getting at least a PVA/MVA....TN panels have came a long way but you simply can't compare the color of a TN to a PVA/MVA...Everything would be MUCHHH richer.

Evilonigir: What fans do you have in yours?..I'm planning to nab either the 830 or 832...Original of course. Going to load all the fan slots with S-Flex SFF21F fans...lol..trying to get a grasp of how loud this thing is going to be. I want to nab two fan controllers to control all the fans...Not sure yet though. Not leaving this rig on 24/7 like my others. gonna put together a very low budget low power/noise rig to run 24/7 for downloading..While my main rig will be my main puppy ^_^.
October 14, 2007 9:57:15 PM

Hey Kamrooz

You lost me on the PVA/MVA/TN and all that...I'm not that up on monitor technology. Can you explain a little further or post any links for me to read?
Thanks!

edit: nevermind...googled it and got all the info. The BenQ 24" FP241WZ is def good quality.
October 14, 2007 11:22:40 PM

Kamrooz said:
Evilonigir: What fans do you have in yours?..I'm planning to nab either the 830 or 832...Original of course. Going to load all the fan slots with S-Flex SFF21F fans...lol..trying to get a grasp of how loud this thing is going to be. I want to nab two fan controllers to control all the fans...Not sure yet though. Not leaving this rig on 24/7 like my others. gonna put together a very low budget low power/noise rig to run 24/7 for downloading..While my main rig will be my main puppy ^_^.

I got this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It's a tad bit noisy when you have 9 of them in your case...But I put my Pc in a closet so it's all good. :) 
Temps for my 8800GTS overclocked is 54C and Q6600 with speedstep is 28C-32C on idle.
October 15, 2007 12:23:59 AM

That Apevia fan makes 29.67dBA of noise, the SFF21F (1600 rpm) 28 dBA, SFF21E (1200 rpm) 20 dBA. If silence is important and you don't need maximum possible airflow go with the SFF21E. I got 4 of them in my case and it's very quiet.

October 15, 2007 1:32:42 AM

General_Disturbance said:

edit: nevermind...googled it and got all the info. The BenQ 24" FP241WZ is def good quality.

The BenQ FP241WZ is a good choice. It was on my short list before I decided to move on to a 26" LCD monitor which I just ordered last Friday.

Overall your PC looks pretty good. I too am looking to build a new PC, but it'll will be post Christmas since I am looking at a Penryn CPU. Hell, it might even be post summer 2008 if I see some good preliminary benchmarks of Nehalem.