• Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • 5G
  • Raptor
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
May 14, 2008 3:24:26 PM

This may be a stupid question, but seeing how i've never used or installed a SATA HDD it's legit. I plan on buying a raptor that uses the SATA 1.5G interface, however my mobo specs state that it has support for SATA 3.0G, will my raptor work with this higher speed interface?

More about : sata

May 14, 2008 3:31:04 PM

no, your raptor will not work at the sata II speeds. i'm sure the motherboard is backwards compatible, so it will work at sata 1.5g speeds, as in your hd speed)
May 14, 2008 3:40:21 PM

Correct, it should work. You might check the Raptor, I think there might be a jumper setting to auto-detect SATA speed. (It's been a while since I installed my Raptor, although I don't think I touched a jumper on the drive or the board at all).

Maybe wait on a VelociRaptor(?)...they should be much faster/more storage than the current 'old' Raptors. Honestly, there are other 7200rpm SATA drives that compete with the old Raptors anyway, plus provide 5x the drive space.
Related resources
May 16, 2008 3:44:30 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Correct, it should work. You might check the Raptor, I think there might be a jumper setting to auto-detect SATA speed. (It's been a while since I installed my Raptor, although I don't think I touched a jumper on the drive or the board at all).

Maybe wait on a VelociRaptor(?)...they should be much faster/more storage than the current 'old' Raptors. Honestly, there are other 7200rpm SATA drives that compete with the old Raptors anyway, plus provide 5x the drive space.

Yep, I will definitley be waiting for a couple of those bad boys!
!