Sign in with
Your question

My computer keeps dropping internet connections, could it be my cordless phone

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 27, 2011 3:48:16 AM

My PC will work fine when I first boot it up but if I let it sit for a while I can not get internet connections. I usually have to reboot or unplug my router. I can connect to internet via Firefox and IE, can ping router, I'm wondering if it is because of my cordless phone. Could it be too close to computer? It is about 5 or 6 feet from computer. It is a wired set up.

Thanks
April 29, 2011 11:58:10 PM

csbritt said:
My PC will work fine when I first boot it up but if I let it sit for a while I can not get internet connections. I usually have to reboot or unplug my router. I can connect to internet via Firefox and IE, can ping router, I'm wondering if it is because of my cordless phone. Could it be too close to computer? It is about 5 or 6 feet from computer. It is a wired set up.

Thanks

I've actually seen issues of where a cordless phone will mess with a wireless router due to most phones use a 2.6ghz bandwidth which is the same of most wireless connections. However, If it's a wired connect it shouldnt' have any affect to messing with your connection. What is the brand of the router your using and service provider so I can get a better understanding of how to help with this.
m
l
May 7, 2011 12:34:11 AM

The router (modem?) is a westell and service provider is ATT. I am also finding that when I go into my device manager my MicroSoft 6to4 adapter, adapter #2 and adapter #3 all have yellow exclamation points on them. Not sure if this is part of the problem or not. When I look for new drivers to update it says I have the correct/most current ones installed already.

Thanks for the assistance!
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2011 12:45:46 AM

The default Ip address for your router is 192.168.1.254 you should be able to type that in internet explorer by itself and be able to access the router diagnostics. From there you can restore your router to default and reset it to rule out that as being a curent issue. Keep in mind that it will only work if your using a direct connection to it via Wired.

The only one that should mater for actually attaching to the internet should be the LAN drivers and also under Start / Settings / Network Connections

You can go to network connections and check to insure it's connect via there also.

Second option is contact AT&T due to a high rate of *faulty* routers provided... >.> same issues with the ones that Comcast gives for digital providers and cable internet. Went with almost the same issue multiple times before buying my own equiptment. Normally they will replace it free of charge if your just renting one from them, normally at your local office where you make your payments to.
m
l
March 4, 2013 9:50:02 PM

192.168.1.254 is the address for the ATT modem NOT the router.

TitusFFX said:
The default Ip address for your router is 192.168.1.254 you should be able to type that in internet explorer by itself and be able to access the router diagnostics. From there you can restore your router to default and reset it to rule out that as being a curent issue. Keep in mind that it will only work if your using a direct connection to it via Wired.

The only one that should mater for actually attaching to the internet should be the LAN drivers and also under Start / Settings / Network Connections

You can go to network connections and check to insure it's connect via there also.

Second option is contact AT&T due to a high rate of *faulty* routers provided... >.> same issues with the ones that Comcast gives for digital providers and cable internet. Went with almost the same issue multiple times before buying my own equiptment. Normally they will replace it free of charge if your just renting one from them, normally at your local office where you make your payments to.

m
l
!