Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 Different Temp readings - video encoding - pic inside

Last response: in CPUs
October 20, 2007 3:04:54 PM

Well I was encoding some videos last night, and saw that the temps were almost at 60°C.

Hardware
  • GA-p35-DS4 - BIOS F7
  • Intel Q6600 G0
  • Zalman 9500 CPU Fan
  • G.Skill DDRII 800 PC2-6400 CL5-5-5-15
  • EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
  • Raptor 36Gb
  • Barracuda 160gb

So as you can see SpeedFan is reading 36°C on Core #2 while CoreTemp reads 51°C. Also is 60°C "ok-hot" to run when encoding?

Any suggestions? Oh and there is no OC done either.

Here is a picture with nothing running. The Gigabyte software reading about 6°C lower than SpeedFan and CoreTemp.

a c 159 à CPUs
    October 20, 2007 3:12:06 PM

You have a good heatsink, so I would look at case airflow. Intel cpus are pretty tough with temps. I ran my old northwood at up to 72c in the summer when the a/c wasn't running. It has outlived 2 motherboards. Under load, those quads run pretty warm. I hate noise, so I put up with high temps. Watercooling is another solution, but ocasssionally, those setups leak causing component failures.
    October 20, 2007 3:15:14 PM

60 Celsius is way to hot for a G0 Q6600, try reapplying thermal paste and re-seating your heatsink. And like o1die said, check the airflow in your case.
    Related resources
    October 20, 2007 5:14:07 PM

ok will try, thank you.
    October 20, 2007 5:53:22 PM

The fact that speedfan only shows 3cores seems a problem.

60Celsius is fine for the Q6600 if you've got the stock Intel cooler though, its about right.

If you can, pick yourself up a Freezer7Pro. Its only about £12 but can reduce noise and temps by quite a lot.
    October 20, 2007 6:07:47 PM

60C at load is ok for a Q6600 with a stock cooler. Of course, the cooler the better. And you won't be able to OC a lot.

Also, trust Coretemp much more than SpeedFan. SpeedFan almost always has a 15C offset.
    October 20, 2007 6:29:33 PM

Seems you might want to calibrate speedfan with your bios readings. Take a look through this guide to find all the info you need:

Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

I thought it had some great info to get SpeedFan calibrated for better temp readings.

I also would trust CoreTemps readings for all 4 cores.
    October 20, 2007 6:37:03 PM

well.... damn
    a b à CPUs
    October 20, 2007 7:33:18 PM

sebtarta, from the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

If temperatures increase beyond Hot Scale, then ~ 5c below Tjunction Max, Throttling is activated. The Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) are used to trigger Intel`s TM1 and TM2 technologies for frequency, multiplier and Vcore Throttling within individual Cores. If Core temperatures increase further to Tjunction Max, then Shutdown occurs. Since Tcase indicates CPU Die temperature only, it is not used for Throttle or Shutdown activation, however, Tjunction Throttle temperature is ~ 95c, so Tcase would be ~ 85c, which would far exceed Tcase Max. As Tcase to Tjunction Deltas are constant, Tcase Max is always the limiting specification for temperatures.

Scale 2: Quad

Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, G0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Max 1.372, TDP 95w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
    --70--/--80--80--80--80-- Hot
    --65--/--75--75--75--75-- Warm
    --60--/--70--70--70--70-- Safe
    --25--/--35--35--35--35-- Cool

Note 3: SpeedFan is very flexible and is the temperature monitoring utility of choice. SpeedFan detects and labels thermal sensors according to various motherboard, chipset and super I/O chip configurations, so the Tcase label can be CPU, Temp 1, Temp 2, or Temp 3. Even if Tcase is labeled as CPU, it is still necessary to confirm the identity of Tcase prior to conducting Calibrations. Run Prime95 and note which SpeedFan temperature scales with an Idle to Load Delta similar to the Cores. This will identify the label corresponding to Tcase. Labels can later be renamed using the Configure button, (see Section 11). If a temperature shows a flame icon, this indicates alarm limits which require adjustment. Use the Configure button to set CPU and Core temp alarms to Safe Scale. If a temperature shows Aux 127, this is simply an unassigned input which can be disabled using the Configure button. CPU`s with Steppings which are Tjunction Max 100c typically require +15c Core Offsets. See Section 11.

Thanks again, Grimmy.

Comp :sol: 
    October 22, 2007 11:00:24 AM

Hatman said:
    The fact that speedfan only shows 3cores seems a problem.

60Celsius is fine for the Q6600 if you've got the stock Intel cooler though, its about right.

If you can, pick yourself up a Freezer7Pro. Its only about £12 but can reduce noise and temps by quite a lot.

plguzman said:
    60C at load is ok for a Q6600 with a stock cooler. Of course, the cooler the better. And you won't be able to OC a lot.

Also, trust Coretemp much more than SpeedFan. SpeedFan almost always has a 15C offset.

The CPU is under a Zalman 9500 LED heat sink. I do trust more the Coretemp from the info i got from the forum. Problem is that who knows if the manufacturer software reads accurate too.

Computronix, thank you for that quote, i found that thread later on while reading more. It is very informative, but I need to polish my knowledge on the new core setups.

I also bought a new case a P182 just to see if temp. drop or not. I have a feeling that the Thermaltake Soprano case i have does not do justice in air flow and cooling. Case should be in today :D 
    !