trouble opening up a program from cd

Mr

Hi, we got a cd ( from an aquaintance that copied it) that has information
that could help studing for a test-It contains Q & A's. It did not open
after loading it in my cd drive. So, I couble clicked to manually open it.
There are 8 'files' (or whatever they are called) showing. I will list them.
1- GRID VB_
2- INSTALL
3- Q & A STUDY (which is a EX_ file)
4- REILL53_
5- RESIZE.VB_
6- SETUPKIT.DLL
7- USERGUIDE (which appears to be acrobat reader type)
8- VBRUN300.DLL
I have tried to open each one. With #2,3,& 4, I have tried to open up with
wordperfect, acrobat, word pad, etc. I even chose the option to have the web
look it up for me; and it has no info.
I even copied the files to my pc and still no luck. My husband called his
friend and said he opens it up fine on his pc (using 'my documents'). I use
windows xp home on a 2 year old pc. i dont know anything about his pc.
Is there any suggestions that I can do before we have to call his friend so
that we dont seem too novice (which we somewhat are)- i hope that i gave
you enough info.

The files ending in the underscore_ are compressed files.

Installing the program will expand the files to the correct folder.

First, open and read the USERGUIDE. You might look for instructions about
how to install the program. Failing that...

Double click on INSTALL. This will start the install wizard. Follow the
prompts.

You may also want to look at this...

To add a program from a CD or floppy disk
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_addprog_install_program.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OfqyLJvhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
MR <mr@mr.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi, we got a cd ( from an aquaintance that copied it) that has information
> that could help studing for a test-It contains Q & A's. It did not open
> after loading it in my cd drive. So, I couble clicked to manually open it.
> There are 8 'files' (or whatever they are called) showing. I will list
> them. 1- GRID VB_
> 2- INSTALL
> 3- Q & A STUDY (which is a EX_ file)
> 4- REILL53_
> 5- RESIZE.VB_
> 6- SETUPKIT.DLL
> 7- USERGUIDE (which appears to be acrobat reader type)
> 8- VBRUN300.DLL
> I have tried to open each one. With #2,3,& 4, I have tried to open up with
> wordperfect, acrobat, word pad, etc. I even chose the option to have the
> web look it up for me; and it has no info.
> I even copied the files to my pc and still no luck. My husband called his
> friend and said he opens it up fine on his pc (using 'my documents'). I
> use windows xp home on a 2 year old pc. i dont know anything about his pc.
> Is there any suggestions that I can do before we have to call his friend
> so that we dont seem too novice (which we somewhat are)- i hope that i
> gave you enough info.

Mr

thanks Wesley. I tried what you suggested with no luck. the same box keeps
popping up. Box states this: 16 bit windows subsystem
C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt. the system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. chose close to terminate the
application.
Let me add this. I was sucessful in installing this same program at my pc at
work. all I did was click 'install' after opening it up and it indeed
installed just fine. I may also add that this is one of those programs that
requires the cd to be in the drive for it to work and while in use.
But, why is it that it worked fine at my work pc. the one at my home is the
one that I am having trouble with. both pc's are the same (Dell) and
basically have the same programs, were bought at the same time, both have
sp1, have the same security (AV, firewalls, etc) installed in them. I think
that my home pc is missing some kind of thing that is preventing this cd
from installing. I hope that this is more info. please help if you can.

> The files ending in the underscore_ are compressed files.
>
> Installing the program will expand the files to the correct folder.
>
> First, open and read the USERGUIDE. You might look for instructions about
> how to install the program. Failing that...
>
> Double click on INSTALL. This will start the install wizard. Follow the
> prompts.
>
> You may also want to look at this...
>
> To add a program from a CD or floppy disk

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_addprog_install_program.mspx

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OfqyLJvhFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> MR <mr@mr.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi, we got a cd ( from an aquaintance that copied it) that has
information
> > that could help studing for a test-It contains Q & A's. It did not open
> > after loading it in my cd drive. So, I couble clicked to manually open
it.
> > There are 8 'files' (or whatever they are called) showing. I will list
> > them. 1- GRID VB_
> > 2- INSTALL
> > 3- Q & A STUDY (which is a EX_ file)
> > 4- REILL53_
> > 5- RESIZE.VB_
> > 6- SETUPKIT.DLL
> > 7- USERGUIDE (which appears to be acrobat reader type)
> > 8- VBRUN300.DLL
> > I have tried to open each one. With #2,3,& 4, I have tried to open up
with
> > wordperfect, acrobat, word pad, etc. I even chose the option to have the
> > web look it up for me; and it has no info.
> > I even copied the files to my pc and still no luck. My husband called
his
> > friend and said he opens it up fine on his pc (using 'my documents'). I
> > use windows xp home on a 2 year old pc. i dont know anything about his
pc.
> > Is there any suggestions that I can do before we have to call his friend
> > so that we dont seem too novice (which we somewhat are)- i hope that i
> > gave you enough info.

Mr

Well, I did a google and went to bleeping computors site. this is where I
read some posts and got this zip fix. It worked. here is the link for anyone
who might have had this problem. http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/
thanks, anyways, wesley. SO great to have helpful people in this world.

"MR" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > 5- RESIZE.VB_
> > > 6- SETUPKIT.DLL
> > > 7- USERGUIDE (which appears to be acrobat reader type)
> > > 8- VBRUN300.DLL
> > > I have tried to open each one. With #2,3,& 4, I have tried to open up
> with
> > > wordperfect, acrobat, word pad, etc. I even chose the option to have
the
> > > web look it up for me; and it has no info.
> > > I even copied the files to my pc and still no luck. My husband called
> his
> > > friend and said he opens it up fine on his pc (using 'my documents').
> > > use windows xp home on a 2 year old pc. i dont know anything about his
> pc.
> > > Is there any suggestions that I can do before we have to call his
friend
> > > so that we dont seem too novice (which we somewhat are)- i hope that i

Your PC at work did not have a messed up autoexec.nt file. Your home PC
does.

Seems to be an epidemic lately....

This can be caused by a trojan.

Get rid of the trojan.

Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32
And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

Or %systemroot%\Repair to %systemroot%\System32

Read-only
[[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
changed or accidentally deleted.]]

1. Right click the file.
2. Properties.
3. Select: ? Read-only.
4. Click: Apply.
5. Click: OK.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

"16 Bit MS-DOS Subsystem" Error Message When You Install a Program
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314452

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-based programs in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314106

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes