New PC for Video Editing + Gaming

caustic_lye

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Hi, I'm upgrading my 4-year old Pentium4 PC.

I'm on a budget but flexible, and I use my PC for editing videos and, at times, games.
What should I get?

Processor: C2D? (Not Quad yet, please)
Video card?
Motherboard?
RAM: 3GB? 4GB?
LCD: 17" or 19"?

Suggest other stuff too.

Things to know:
-I leave my PC on 24/7
-I use Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and Windows XP. I don't want to shift to Vista, heard it wasn't worth it.

Thank you.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
What is your budget?
Why not quad ?
Are you in a hurry because new stuff will be out soon ?

Unless your budget wont allow for a quad core I would go with a quad. Video editing with APP2 will use all 4 cores and make you a lot more productive.

http://www.stalliontek.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CPC2DX%2DX6800

X6800 for $399. For video editing I wouldn't skimp on the CPU. This is a really good price for the first quad extreem but the new cpu s will be out soon and there might be a better model for less money.

RAM: 3Gb. XP won't see the extra RAM.
Video card: depends on your budget. I'd say, following Tom's recommendations, either a Radeon HD 2600 XT (the DDR3 version, not DDR4) or a Geforce 8600GT.
CPU: for video editing, several cores can be quite helpful, I've heard. C2D is a good bet anyway.
Motherboard: if you leave yourPC on all the time, get a good one - Asus comes to mind.

caustic_lye

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007

Yes. Haha. :p

Errr, for the GFX card, not so pricey. Something that would keep me stable for 2 years, playing games. Minimum for new games that will be coming out in the next year or so.

I was thinking of getting E6550 (2.33G) 1333FSB 4mb C2D 8740, Inno3D 8600GT, Asus P5GC-MX..? Change or suggestions?

I wasn't getting a Quad yet, because it's a out of my budget. Should I wait for new items to come out or should I buy these already? Is it really that bad if I don't get Quad? I'm actually doing okay with my P4. It's not thaaaaat slow. But I need it faster. Rendering time is killing me and my deadlines.