My 965P-DS3 + E6750 system won' start - Help please.

Pliko

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Hi all,

I just upgraded from an E6300 to an E6750 today, but I have already run into trouble:

My system consits of the Gigabyte 965P-DS3 Rev 2 (F12 bios installed), 4Gbs of Corsair CL4, Corsair 640W power supply and the aforementioned CPU. I am also using an Zalman 9700 to cool down the CPU. The Antec 182 houses it all.

With the E6300 everything works without any kind of trouble, but when I change to the E6750 the fans start up, the sytstem resets and the same happens again but without the reset. At no time during this does anything appear on screen, I don't even get any kind of startup screen.

I read somewhere that Rev 2 wasn't recommended for the 1333FSB, but also found a lot of posts from people who had no trouble with the exact same setup.

Any kind of advice is appriciated and hopefully some of the experts on this board, can tell me how to solve this problem.

Thanks in advance.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
bios auto settings most likely

you need to remove all but one stick of ram and get into the bios and reset the memory speed

u might be able to reset it with the e6300 but swapping the cpu may cause to wrong memory settings

try 1 stick in slot 3

I have virtually the same system with a E6850, a GA-965P-DS3 rev 2.0, and 4gb of corsair cl4 memory, and it worked properly right away. I updated to F12 first, and verified it with cpu-z before changing to the E6850. Go through each BIOS parameter. Try resetting to the defaults.
---good luck---

Pliko

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
Thanks for the help everyone, I will try upping the voltage of the memory with +0.3 (is there anywhere where I can see the voltage of the memory, bios only shows the increments that I can up it with: 0.1, 0.2 and so forth, and not the complete volgate: 1.8, 1.9...) figuring the motherboard has a standard of 1.8. Doing this while only using one memory stick in slot 3 (thanks dragonsprayer) will hopefully solve the problem.

geofelt:
Scary how much our systems resemble each other, I am also using a 8800GTS ;)

Thanks everyone, and please keep the suggestions coming.

cpu-z shows my memory running at 5-5-5-18. on the SPD display for JEDEC #2, it shows that you get 5-5-5-18-22 at 400MHz and 1.8V. It also shows for EPP#1 4.0-4-4-12-22 at 400 MHz with voltage 2.1
I did not change the voltage, so I am quite certain that I am running at 1.8v. I don't see the need to get better timings by upping the voltage; It would make on insignificant difference to me in performance. All four sticks are from the same week/year. If there is a difference, then that might be an issue, so do your testing with just one stick in the first slot.