kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have Canon i550 printer that uses the usb port. After installing a SATA drive, the printer quit. When I reinstall the drivers, the installer says it can't find the port. I've used all four USB ports off the GA-K8NS Pro mobo as well as the ports off the USB / Firewire card. Same results.
I hooked the printer to my laptop and everything worked as intended. I'm wondering if the BIOS might be at fault. My mobo supports 4 usb ports and I have a usb / firewire card that supports four more. The printer has been plugged into both the mobo and card ports. Other devices connected to these port work as advertised - scanner, card reader, and external hd.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No other changes except for loading updated Silicon Image SATA drivers.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
This has been a problem with windows vista.
What os are you using?
not all drivers work well with the new OS. You can do a system restore to the previous working condition (take out the other drive) or I am not sure if this is a viable option for HD's but update the firmware. I say this because I had the same problem with a dvd burner (and flashed latest firmware and it resolved the issue but I don't know if this is even possible for hd's) Also see if canon has any updates on their site for your printer.
bc