Which CPU should I get?

Currently, I have an AMD Athlon X2 4600+ @ 2.4 GHz. I want to know if I should upgrade this, and if so, to what. I mainly use my computer for gaming and photo editing/rendering.

If I were to upgrade it, it would have to be pretty inexpensive since I'm on a budget.

What do you think?
8 answers Last reply
More about which
  1. Socket 939 or AM2?
  2. Don't bother. Wait till the Octals are out, your system is fine.
  3. It's socket AM2, btw.
  4. Patience_Truth said:
    It's socket AM2, btw.

The fastest chip you can get for your computer is the X2 6400+ with 2x1 MB L2 and a 3.2 GHz clock speed. Yes, it will be faster than the 4600+ by some margin and it's not all that expensive ($220 or so) but I'd wait for the Phenom CPUs to come out to upgrade. They should work in your system just fine and will be a much bigger jump in performance, particularly if you get a quad-core unit. Those are supposed to be in the $200-300 range as well.
  5. MU_Engineer said:
    The fastest chip you can get for your computer is the X2 6400+ with 2x1 MB L2 and a 3.2 GHz clock speed. Yes, it will be faster than the 4600+ by some margin and it's not all that expensive ($220 or so) but I'd wait for the Phenom CPUs to come out to upgrade. They should work in your system just fine and will be a much bigger jump in performance, particularly if you get a quad-core unit. Those are supposed to be in the $200-300 range as well.

Agreed.
  6. How much RAM do you have?
  7. I have 2GB of DDR2 800 Mem.
  8. I'd say RAM is OK . . . but if you can wait 2-3 months for Phenom then I would do that. The reason being that you will get Core 2 performance at the cost of just buying a procssor.

I have a feeling the Phenom X3 will cost the same as the Intel dual core parts. Which woud be a steal.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs