P5w DH Deluxe with E6750 at 1333?

Ardub

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Hi,

I just upgraded my E6600 to a 6750 since I have another use for the old chip, but I'm unsure of the "correct" way to get my P5W running at the right bus speed.

I'm running the current 2302 BIOS that supports 1333 FSB, but when I first booted up with the new CPU (all settings at Auto), the BIOS reported it as running at something like 2102 MHz - apparently the wrong bus speed or multiplier somewhere.

The manual led me to an overclock option called "FSB1333/DDR2-834" which I'm successfully using to get the CPU to report 2.66GHz... but if this option was in last year's manual, that not the feature they just added to the recent BIOS. Is there a standard, non-OC way to get the correct bus speed? My RAM is actually DDR2-800 so we'll see how it holds up at the 834 setting - I'd rather find the official way of running things, since I'm not interested in OCing this system. Anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks!

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Didn't you get any problems running BIOS2302 on this board?I flashed to that BIOS about a week ago and the onboard sound gets disabled after each reboot/power down.Had to flash back to 2004.

If am not mistaken,to let your new CPU run at full speed (2.66Ghz), the FSB on the board needs to run at 1333 at the standard multiplier setting for your CPU.

Due to the divider you get that ram speed or you can try FSB1333/DDR2667.

In any instance the chipset is being over clocked(it's designed for 1066).... if its stable, then its all good....and if your ram can run at 834, more power to you....

Ardub

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
The only problem I've noticed with this BIOS is that SpeedStep gets disabled after each reboot. Onboard sound stays enabled, though I use an Audigy anyway.

The only FSB 1333 option I can find is under overclocking and is in the manual, so it's not the one added by the recent update.

The update is only supposed to allow the board to detect a 1333 cpu.....thats not working for some reason...

Speed step should only get disabled if the voltage is played with....

There has to be a 1333(cpu)/667(mem) option... i have used it....

There is no way to get 1333/800 because the board was made for 1066

hpim1514la0.jpg

Just for you i dug up my P5W :)

And it just gave on hell of a spark when powered....guess it has no more speaker...but it lives(damn i was looking for a reason to hit it with a hammer...)....

Look...it blew a trace...that kind of sucks....but i guess i will build a system of it and run it untill it dies....
hpim1516nh9.jpg

Ardub

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
hmm, maybe it's partially working - it does say something equivalent to E6750 2.67GHz @ 2.12 GHz - basically, it does know what the CPU should be.

All my voltages are Auto and I had never tweaked any OC settings until today, so I'm not sure what's wrong with SpeedStep.

And there is a 667 mem option; I figured I'd try faster first to see how it goes (so far so good but I haven't run any tests yet or looked up expected tolerances of this RAM. Is my setting known to be pushing things too far?

Thanks for the advice.

No your settings should be fairly safe(asus will warranty it anyway)....

You probably have a newer P5W(i have an older rev)....mine is a pile of **** and cant get over 325 without random lockups :(.....thats why its on the self....and hell today it just sparked at me(the smell of burning board sucks....first i though it was the PSU, but i've used it with the board before....good old antec 380 watt psu).....damn thing...

Ardub

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Odd - with the E6600, SpeedStep kept turning itself off with 2302 BIOS. But with the 6750, it turned itself ON without me changing the setting... but it still doesn't work - in Vista, the meter that shows the real-time clock speed % of max stay at 100% where with the old BIOS and CPU it would move between 50 and 100 depending on load.

I'll leave the RAM at 842 for now unless I see any problems. Thanksf or the explanation - the part I wasn't understanding before is that the 1333 update to the P5W was to allow it to detect the CPU, not to enable any new bus mode that wasn't already there.