Sign in with
Your question

Radeon -- I've made a huge mistake

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2007 3:52:06 AM

//whine alert//

I've been assembling my own PCs for the last 15 years or so, and I must say that the Radeon 2900 XT is the biggest mistake I've ever made in that area. I've always been a little jaded to the longevity of high-end graphics cards, but this one really takes the cake.

About a month ago, I came to this forum reading/discussing the 2900XT. And eventually I did buy it for $400 USD. Expensive, sure. And I knew it wasn't going to stay "high-end" for more than a few weeks. But I figured it'll be good enough to serve as at least at or above mid-range status for the next 9 months or so. But how wrong I was!

Some 14 days after my purchase, out comes the 2900 Pro at $299. Basically an graphics card identical to the one I bought, but with a factory underclock. No biggie, I can live with that.

Another 14 days later, the 8800 GT just obliterates my 2900 XT at half the price. The benchmarks I've seen @(1600 x 1200 at max settings) puts the 2900 XT roughtly ~15 fps slower at nearly all games. Bioshock, Oblivion, Crysis, World in Conflict, everything. And since the 8800 GT defines the new level of mid-range graphics solution, that puts my 2900XT below midrange after only 30 days in my computer. I don't think my credit card statement has even arrived yet!

30 days ago, I had expected a new batch of high-end cards in 4th QTR 2007 to supercede the 2900XT / 8800 GTS. What I didn't expect was a new batch of $249 mid-range cards to obliterate the my $400 2900 XT.

Ugh. I hate whining. And I've always been aware that computer & electronics get old fairly quick. But I certainly didn't expect my $400 graphics card to become "below-midrange" after only 30 days. I was hoping my 2900XT would stay at or above midrange status until mid 2008, not 30 days...

October 30, 2007 3:54:21 AM

Return?
October 30, 2007 3:57:40 AM

Welcome to technology
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 3:59:11 AM

2900XT is sad on so many many levels
October 30, 2007 4:06:38 AM

Wow... are you serious right now... I think you've won the bitch fit award.

Just listen to yourself. What do you expect, thats how technology is. In that case why dont you just wait forever until the universe collapses into itself... then there will be nothing to worry about.

If it plays your games and it runs smooth then whats the complaint?
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 4:14:12 AM

pchoi04 said:

Just listen to yourself. What do you expect, thats how technology is. In that case why dont you just wait forever until the universe collapses into itself... then there will be nothing to worry about.

take it easy buddy, I would do alot of complaining if I had JUST bought a ' high-end video card' and it was turned mid-low-end in a matter of days. ATI should be ashamed.
October 30, 2007 4:22:34 AM

you must be gutted. im glad that i have put a low end gpu in my pc im drooling of the possiblities the 8800 gt has.
October 30, 2007 4:23:25 AM

Bummer :/ 

On the flip side... tho i got my gts320 quite some time ago, and although the GT is beating it now, they are still selling the same cards for only $10 cheaper... all this time later.

Lost out on my Q6600 tho, missed a G0 by a few days, what can i say, no one had an ETA and i needed asap.

U know what they say...

You win some,
The rest you smoke.
October 30, 2007 5:07:45 AM

I like my 2900pro, but I'm rather disappointed that ATI cannot improve Direct X 10 performance to match Nvidia. If Crysis runs well on ATI hardware and UT3 then I will not feel like I have wasted my money any more. If I would known about the 8800GT at the time I would of waited for that.
October 30, 2007 5:17:52 AM

Did I mention return it? You bought it from Newegg, no? You could return an eat the $60 fee for a better card, or test your coercion skills and see if they will wave it.
October 30, 2007 5:51:48 AM

I'd just keep it for a few months, then get an X3850 or an 8800GT, while selling the card used. The price of the 8800GT is supposed to drop to $200 for the 512 meg version after the holidays. Plus, the X3850 should be a competitor.

I held off buying an 8800GTS 320, staying with a 7600GS far longer than the 3 months it was meant to fill in between February 2007 and May 2007. The drivers just weren't there at launch for the 8800GTS 320 to be viable. Now, both ATI and Nvidia have their DX10 drivers up to speed.

I think your X2900XT is viable for another 6-9 months, it has enough memory for high textures and you aren't any worse off than someone who bought an 8800GTS 640. Both cards are still good.

Me, I can't afford $300 times two every year, so I waited with a 7600GS and my wife's using the onboard X1250 graphics for her new build. She'll get an X3850 and I'll get an 8800GT, when the price and availability stablize by February.

So, I don't consider you foolish or unlucky. You got a good card at a premium price. The card should last you for 6 months, and even if a new card does 20 fps more then what's the problem? You won't notice it outside of benchmarks. Besides, ATI will optimize drivers again for all the new DX10 games. If I'd had the cash last summer, I would have gone 8800GTS 640, but I wouldn't complain much about the 8800GT or the X3850 arriving a few months later.

October 30, 2007 5:52:52 AM

Yeah you should retrn it....
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 6:15:06 AM

meh dx 10 sucked
a c 355 U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 6:31:17 AM

Yeah, that's tech for you. There is always something better coming out. The 8800GT was a known release for mid/late October. However, not may people thought it would offer stellar performance for the price.

I'm glad to say that I not never fallen into a trap just like you did. Sometimes patience is a virtual, even if it's just to see how well new products will compare to older products.

I would return it and get the 8800GT. The restocking fee will probably equal the loss of trying to sell a used GPU that has been knocked down a notch or two. May the restocking fee will actually be less than the loss when trying to sell it.
October 30, 2007 6:56:14 AM

I would wait for the 3800 before doing ANYTHING.

but you also bought your card at the worst possible time in the whole year.
October 30, 2007 9:07:56 AM

RETURN - EVEN if it costs you, defect anythgn to get your money back or a certificate, get a 8800gt and youll be happy
October 30, 2007 9:10:10 AM

if they won't take it back as a return, just sell it on ebay. you'll make AT LEAST enough to buy an 8800GT. Consider it a free upgrade.
October 30, 2007 12:29:45 PM

jaguarskx said:
Yeah, that's tech for you. There is always something better coming out.

True. And like most people, I did expect the 2900XT and 8800GTS to be superceded before Christmas. However, I was anticipating these video cards to be bumped down one notch, from "high end" to "high mid-range". I certainly didn't expect it to be demoted all the way to "below mid range" status within 30 days of my $400 purchase.

Quote:
I'm glad to say that I not never fallen into a trap just like you did. Sometimes patience is a virtual, even if it's just to see how well new products will compare to older products.

Patience? Heh. My computer overhaul last month was not only my first new PC since 2004, but also my first "high-end" gaming rig since 2001. Unfortunately, after 6+ years of anticipation, my shiny new PC's status as a "high end" gaming rig lasted, oh, about 30 days. It's really, really anticlimactic.

Quote:
I would return it and get the 8800GT.

I'm suprised so many people suggested returning the card. I could easily do it, but I won't. I'm just not comfortable returning items unless there's a manufacturer defect involved. The product sold to me worked exactly as advertised, and I see no justification for sending it back to the seller.

Someone suggested I sell the graphics card. But honestly, there's no use. It's 2nd hand, it performs poorly compared to the $249 8800GT, it needs much more power, runs much noisier, runs much hotter, doesn't have hardware mpeg4 decode, it's an older model, it has a (cheaper) identical twin brother in the 2900 Pro, and ATI as a brand is far less in demand than NVidia nowadays. When the 8800GT hits the store shelves in November, I'd be lucky if my $400 2900XT fetches $199 on ebay. I'll just keep it and accept my losses; but it's certainly one tough pill to swallow --- hence, all my whining.

October 30, 2007 1:01:30 PM

you paid the price of early adoption.
good job.
October 30, 2007 1:16:35 PM

summer_of_alvin said:
I'm suprised so many people suggested returning the card. I could easily do it, but I won't. I'm just not comfortable returning items unless there's a manufacturer defect involved. The product sold to me worked exactly as advertised, and I see no justification for sending it back to the seller.

Someone suggested I sell the graphics card. But honestly, there's no use. It's 2nd hand, it performs poorly compared to the $249 8800GT, it needs much more power, runs much noisier, runs much hotter, doesn't have hardware mpeg4 decode, it's an older model, it has a (cheaper) identical twin brother in the 2900 Pro, and ATI as a brand is far less in demand than NVidia nowadays. When the 8800GT hits the store shelves in November, I'd be lucky if my $400 2900XT fetches $199 on ebay. I'll just keep it and accept my losses; but it's certainly one tough pill to swallow --- hence, all my whining.

Then don't complain about it. :sarcastic: 
October 30, 2007 1:18:09 PM

nukchebi0 said:
Return?

Return it under the 30 day return policy (hope the place you bought it from offers one) and then eat the restocking fee. It'll be worth it.
a c 130 U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 1:50:40 PM

Quote:

Someone suggested I sell the graphics card. But honestly, there's no use. It's 2nd hand, it performs poorly compared to the $249 8800GT, it needs much more power, runs much noisier, runs much hotter, doesn't have hardware mpeg4 decode, it's an older model, it has a (cheaper) identical twin brother in the 2900 Pro, and ATI as a brand is far less in demand than NVidia nowadays. When the 8800GT hits the store shelves in November, I'd be lucky if my $400 2900XT fetches $199 on ebay.

You should try to sell it. SOMEone will undoubtedly need one to complete their Crossfire setup. At $200/$250, it's a steal for them and you both get what you want.

-Wolf sends
October 30, 2007 2:03:30 PM

Having gotten an 8800GTX about a week after release (nov 2006), and had mostly nVidia cards before that (my last ATi had been an Xpert@Play 8MB), I was beginning to feel like a bit of an nVidia fanboy.

Wit this in mind, and the fact that my x38 board supported crossfire but not SLI, I decided to go for a pair of x2900XTs when my 8800GTX died to a coolant leak last month.

My god, these cards are ****. They eat power like you wouldn't believe, to the point that they burned out my Thermaltake 750W psu and made me buy a PC Power and Cooling 1kW model.

They are unstable and I constantly get bluescreens caused by the ATI drivers.

Crossfire is crap and unstable.

I now have a 2nd PC with 8800GTX SLI (the dell one I'm moaning about in the CPU forum :p  ) and its worlds apart.

The ATI based PC is now sat behind my TV and operates as a file server and a HD-DVD/BluRay player.

I will NEVER buy another ATI card after the issues I have had with these x2900s.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the x2900XTs are completely unable to cool themselves adequately, in a Thermaltake Kandalf case with massive airflow. If I want to game on these cards I have to use Riviatuner to up the fan speed to max in order to reduce my number of bluescreens. They sound louder than my Dyson like this.... Oh, and one of them killed itself and needed replacing like two weeks after I got them both meaning a warranty replacement....
October 30, 2007 2:28:06 PM

I think some people are being overly harsh. The OP clearly understood that things do change... and quickly. In his particular case it does appear he bought the wrong product at the absolute worst time by no fault of his own. Just really bad timing. He has my sympathies. Tough break bro.
October 30, 2007 2:54:49 PM

Dear OP,

Even if half the thread posters are calling you an undue whiner, I do feel your pain. That sucks, man. I suppose you should have paid attention to all the benchmarks before you bought it; but still, even I am attracted to the 2900XT's architecture. It was really promising. Too bad ATI screwed up. You could try watercooling your video card and overclocking it to 900MHz :) 

Most of all though, I appreciate your command of the english language. It's refreshing to not have to turn on my automatic translator unit to try to understand some garbage being thrashed out by an imbecile.

As Wolfshadw says though, I would suggest selling it. There's no shame either in returning a product to the manufacturer or vendor which does not suit your needs. Newegg doesn't care. They just care that you get good service from them. If that means their waiving the restock fee (unlikely, and even I wouldn't try for that. Just doesn't feel right), I'm sure they'll be happy to oblige.

You bought the card. It did not live up to expectations. Return it. Buy something better.

Or offer it up on Ebay. Put it up for $240, $300 Buy-It-Now. That kind of thing. Wolf's right. Someone will want it, and will gladly pay you to complete their Crossfire setup, or their Crossfire X setup.
October 30, 2007 2:57:45 PM

To rodney_ws: Agreed, they are being needlessly harsh.

I read his post as being more of a commentary on the poor state of ATI/AMD's competitive edge. Frankly, I've been surprised that ATI has been selling their 2900HD line at such high prices when there are comparative options at better prices.

To have a $400 product made obsolete in its previously competitive range in such a short period of time is quite the shot in the pills to the average consumer. If I'd spent that much, I'd be spitting fire, too. Hopefully there's a takeaway lesson in here somewhere for all of us (ie. never trust ATI, cutting edge technology is never worth the price, etc.). Whatever.
October 30, 2007 3:12:47 PM

I do agree with rodney_ws and KekaiGenkai here.

On the other hand, now now, ATI has had good products before!
* The 9700Pro and 9800XT ran circles around anything nVidia had to offer.
* The X850XT PE was a very compelling alternative to the 6800Ultra if you had a good noise-cancelling system.
*The X1950XTX destroyed anything nVidia had to offer, again, as long as your noise-cancelling system was working. It WAS quieter than the X1900XTX though...

Given ATI's legacy, I can well understand someone hoping the HD 2900XT would continue that legacy. But a 7 months release delay, and a load of benchmarks slamming it should be warning enough. Granted, it runs around 3 times faster than its predecessor, the X1950XTX. The 8800GTX just runs around 4 times faster.

If I could buy any and all video cards I wanted from the Geforce256 on up, that list would include a good many ATI cards. I'm not biased, unless by biased, you mean towards the better performing product.

My old machine runs a 9800Pro 128MB, and my new one runs a 7800GT. It was available before the X1900 refresh gave ATI a compelling argument in return. Plus I got it bundled with an SLI board for cheaper.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 3:14:32 PM

rodney_ws said:
I think some people are being overly harsh. The OP clearly understood that things do change... and quickly. In his particular case it does appear he bought the wrong product at the absolute worst time by no fault of his own. Just really bad timing. He has my sympathies. Tough break bro.

I agree! The forums are a not-inappropriate place to let off a little steam... and ATi people could be whistling like tea kettles over the next few weeks.
I bought my brand-new X1900XT 512MB fourteen months ago now, for $400. One month after I got it, it became $300. I put a giant Zalman cooler on it with fan fullspeed (molex to PSU) and it became almost silent. The vidcard still works fine now >1 yr later...
Anyway summer_of_alvin we feel your pain - but that's how it goes, heheh...
So purchase the new 8800GT and lose the 2900XT - somebody somewhere has PCIexpress and a crappy 128-bit X1600 or whatever (or worse!) and would give you $$ to step up. Coupla hundred bucks is the cost to play 'PC2007' and the game is nasty and unforgiving,
Regards
October 30, 2007 3:18:03 PM

I feel for you,technology is what it is,but if the card is working and you don't want to return it then just keep for future use as a physic card for 790 or 780 m-board.I plan on duing that with my h2900pro
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 3:23:57 PM

Wow people sure are harsh. Come on guys can't we afford the man a little sympathy. Just because everyone's been stung with this, or it's never happened to them, doesn't mean we can't understand his disappointment. You have my shoulder to cry on.

I also have the 2900XT, though had I a choice, I wouldn't have gotten it. I got mine because my X1900XTX which I purchased with extended warranty with, began artifacting within the warranty and so the retailer replaced it. Sine they didn't have the X1900XTX anymore, they gave me the 2900XT. The card outperforms the X1900XTX by a small margin (10%-15%) and it supports DX10 if I ever buy Fista. I also got the Orange Box which was great, because I would have gotten it anyway. Who knows, I will likely sell it in less than a year and get the next generation DX10 cards. Something that can actually play Crysis with most of the settings on high, although I fully expect to wait 6 months or more for them to appear. I think the 8800GT is a fantastic card for the price and if I hadn't got this card I would be looking to get it now. Even though it seriously outperforms the 2900XT, it's not enough to entice me to upgrade right now.
October 30, 2007 3:52:14 PM

Untill I get another job, I dont think I could stomach spend that much on anything. Otherwise my investment could go down the drain like the op's.

Off-topic, I RMAed my faulty 7900GT, and OCUK said they've recieved it and I said I want a replacement and not a refund.

However I dont believe they have another 7900GT in stock, let alone the Gainward 'Golden sample' one.

So what do you think they will do? Give me a better card? They've had my card for two days now and not replied yet which is worrying.
October 30, 2007 4:06:35 PM

He's whining about being "stuck" with the card...several people have recommended that he return it + pay the restocking fee, or sell it.

He refuses to do either and wants to keep it; in my book that revokes his "whine about it" card. ;) 

Enjoy the card. It's a good card. But don't whine about it when you can solve the problem yourself (at a small restocking fee premium or a price hit by selling it used) and get a newer card.
October 30, 2007 4:07:00 PM

So, I've got a general question regarding the 2900 series -- they seem to perform poorly compared to the 8800 series, but in terms of raw numbers, they seem to be amazing in comparison. Is it possible that the drivers haven't matured, and if the OP is patient, his performance will ramp up with better drivers? Everyone has talked about how the 2900 drivers were really bad when they came out.

Given his distaste for returning it, which would be a better option: resell for a 8800gt, or hope the drivers mature and performance will beat that of a 8800gt in time?
November 1, 2007 2:06:43 PM

pchoi04 said:

Hey don't feel as bad as the people who bought the $900.00 ULTRA " Ripoff " from nvidia ...... what a screw job from Nvidia on those ! --------- :bounce:  ------- some of them even bought 2 ....... ARGHHHHHH !!! :pfff: 
November 1, 2007 3:19:20 PM

We can all sit and wait for the next greatest thing or play the what if game. Technology changes. If your card still does what you need it to do, then great! I am happy I bought my 8800gtx seven months ago and have and continue to enjoy many hours of use from it. I could have still been waiting for the next best thing worried that my card was about to get outclassed. I don't care if something comes out faster tomorrow. My card plays what I want it to very well. Live life today, you can't worry about tomorrow all the time.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 3:49:33 PM

Quote:
C2D E6850...BFG 8800GTX OC...Two Raptor 150s...

I think buddy would rather have the 7-month-old 8800GTX than his brand-new Radeon2900, heheh...
But you're lookin' good Turtle1 :^)
And the point is valid! You'll go crazy trying to buy all the very latest stuff - and apparently Crysis will just suck it up and spit it out, anyway.
L8R
November 1, 2007 5:02:25 PM

Eh....No sympathy here.

If you did even some reading on these forums you would have seen that ATI/AMD just aren't the top dogs right now.

ATI is lagging behind Nvidia and have been for the last year. I mean lets be honest here - ATI can't even compete with the GeForce 8-series right now. They just can't. I mean, look at Nvidia - they're having to cannibalize their own product, having to compete with themselves. THe 8800GT for example - Nvidia didn't even have to release that - people would have still bought the GTS because it's not like the current Radeons are anything to write home about. I mean, yeah they have good technology and architecture - but that doesn't really matter if their performance is mediocre.

Perhaps ATI will come back with the Radeon 3800 (or whatever it's called)...but IMHO - I think that the 8800GT is going to be the next 'legendary' mainstream card - the likes of which we haven't seen since the Radeon 9600XT.
November 1, 2007 5:36:22 PM

I would like to say that I bought a 7800 GTX pretty much the week they came out (way back in 2005!) and spent $600 in the process. However, I bought it the moment it came out and that card kept selling at that price point for a long time as the 1800 series from ATI really didn't cause it much grief. Now it's unlikely I'll even pay $600 for a video card again, but I do feel like if you're going to drop a lot of money on a video card you need to be doing it the moment it comes out (and benchmarks confirm it's top-notch) I don't feel like I was ripped off by Nvidia in the least bit... I paid a premium and got a premium card... one that is still gaming just fine today well over 2 years later. I always chuckle when I see people debating buying a 7600 series or even an 8600 series... my old 7800 still beats those (it's not technically mine any more since I gave it away to a friend) I imagine someone buying that same card months down the road after its release for virtually the same price and then reading about the 7900 GTX/ATI 1900 series. Again, I think the OP was just the victim of some really bad luck and bad timing.

Funny that Ben would mention the 9600XT... I had that before I got the 7800 GTX. Maybe I'm just lucky.
November 1, 2007 5:44:57 PM

The 2900XT is not that bad. Much better than the x1950XT. Better than the 8800GTS in some benchmarks.
no reason to cry.
November 1, 2007 6:06:49 PM

If you complain about a card being outperformed by newer gear your will always have something to gripe. Do people who buy 65 nm core 2 duo bitch now that newer 45 nm are out and that they are better? Most likely not. People buy what they want and what the can afford.

If you wait till the next thing is out you will wait forever, heck its gotten to the point that CPU and GPUs are outdated in like 1-2 years (doesn't mean that still don't play gams great, just not as good as brand new gear).

For me myself I buying a new video card for myself for xmas. I been looking at the 8800 GT and waiting their release, and they are a badass card well worth the money. Just waiting on the 3000+ series numbers, it obviously won't perform as well in games (shader clock speed or drivers who knows). But at 55nm and with the UVD at a price of 200 dollars if the performance is close 8-15% of 8800 GT im sold. For me finding out power requirements at idle/max load are big factors. Also the quality of the video play back (use my pc for games and movies/tv)

Either way if your read these forums and THG alot and you bought a 2900 XT (knowning it had no UVD), the power usage and FPS scores were shown, you know what you got.....a good card...not the best...but fast.

So don't bitch or complain, there people out there who build entire PCs for under the cost of just the video card.

Anyway unless the 3000 series shows dramatic power consumption advantage, or higher quality video playback then Nvidia by the end of this month its 8800 GT for me.
November 1, 2007 6:15:10 PM

summer_of_alvin said:
//whine alert//

I've been assembling my own PCs for the last 15 years or so, and I must say that the Radeon 2900 XT is the biggest mistake I've ever made in that area. I've always been a little jaded to the longevity of high-end graphics cards, but this one really takes the cake.

About a month ago, I came to this forum reading/discussing the 2900XT. And eventually I did buy it for $400 USD. Expensive, sure. And I knew it wasn't going to stay "high-end" for more than a few weeks. But I figured it'll be good enough to serve as at least at or above mid-range status for the next 9 months or so. But how wrong I was!

Some 14 days after my purchase, out comes the 2900 Pro at $299. Basically an graphics card identical to the one I bought, but with a factory underclock. No biggie, I can live with that.

Another 14 days later, the 8800 GT just obliterates my 2900 XT at half the price. The benchmarks I've seen @(1600 x 1200 at max settings) puts the 2900 XT roughtly ~15 fps slower at nearly all games. Bioshock, Oblivion, Crysis, World in Conflict, everything. And since the 8800 GT defines the new level of mid-range graphics solution, that puts my 2900XT below midrange after only 30 days in my computer. I don't think my credit card statement has even arrived yet!

30 days ago, I had expected a new batch of high-end cards in 4th QTR 2007 to supercede the 2900XT / 8800 GTS. What I didn't expect was a new batch of $249 mid-range cards to obliterate the my $400 2900 XT.

Ugh. I hate whining. And I've always been aware that computer & electronics get old fairly quick. But I certainly didn't expect my $400 graphics card to become "below-midrange" after only 30 days. I was hoping my 2900XT would stay at or above midrange status until mid 2008, not 30 days...

should've got a 8800gtx man
November 1, 2007 8:38:02 PM

Your screwd. Not because nvidia released a new card, but because you bought an old one with almost the same price/performance that has been out for almost a year.

The way I figure it is that with a new card you get one year of great gaming, one with good gaming and one year with real lame gaming. When you bought your card you had already missed the first year and the card was only worth halve of that prize.
November 1, 2007 9:21:18 PM

I bought a AMD X2 3800+ a day before the price dropped $150. I also missed the AM2 and Conroe chips by days. That sucks far worse, although my case and PSU raised in price, I'm still stuck with a 7600Gt
November 1, 2007 10:24:18 PM

pchoi04 said:

Dude wtf is ur problem calm the **** down.... if u didnt want to hear what he had to say why did u bother reading when he clearly left a warning at the top.

November 1, 2007 10:32:33 PM

I think the bitching was admirably restrained, and I also admire your reluctance to penalize a retailer for your own tough luck. I would point out though that if they freely offer returns for the restocking fee, there's nothing unethical IMHO about returning it.

I bought an X850Pro about a year and a half ago - $200 - and experienced the same thing. It sucked. It's not uncommon. A couple of months ago I bought an X1950XT and I've very happy with it. Well, pretty happy. I don't hate it like the X850Pro anyway. Last month I really wished I'd waited and bought a 2900Pro. Now I wished I had waited and bought an 8800GT. It happens, but those were midrange cards. That $400 2900XT, that sucks.

And yeah, I've kept both cards.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 11:04:00 PM

You are no worse off than all the recent (non evga) 8800GTS buyers either.
November 1, 2007 11:07:52 PM

oswold said:
Untill I get another job, I dont think I could stomach spend that much on anything. Otherwise my investment could go down the drain like the op's.

Off-topic, I RMAed my faulty 7900GT, and OCUK said they've recieved it and I said I want a replacement and not a refund.

However I dont believe they have another 7900GT in stock, let alone the Gainward 'Golden sample' one.

So what do you think they will do? Give me a better card? They've had my card for two days now and not replied yet which is worrying.

Dump a 8600GTS on you and laugh.

JK. Maybe if you get lucky an 8800GT. But I don't think they have to refund based on price when you bought. They have to refund based on performance or worth (which are really interchangeable). In that case, probably a GTS 320 (which is worth less now).

Edit: At the OP, there is absolutely nothing morally wrong with returning your card. You don't like the product, they let you return, thus you can. They are charging you a restocking fee of $60, so it isn't like they are being ripped off anyways.
November 1, 2007 11:22:15 PM

pchoi04 said:

obviously he's serious about it if he made the thread. Now now now, let's not be so quick to give the award out...there's bound to be more people. Simmer down friend...more will come...more will come. ;) 

pchoi04 said:

I can personally relate to him though. I bought the HD2900 Pro. That was a mistake. No solid software out there for it. technology is a bitc* sometimes. That's why I RMA'd my 8800GTX OC and purchased an 8800GT, saved $220. As for the universe collapsing...sure, it's possible. :lol: 

pchoi04 said:

I think his complaint is that he spent $400 on a card with was expected to hold him out for at least 9 months; but within 30 days it was obsolete. I can relate to this, I spent $500 on an 8800GTX OC and than here comes the 8800GT. I'm like wtf, RMA it, get my refund, and buy one...save money, get great performance.

He's whining about being "stuck" with the card...several people have recommended that he return it + pay the restocking fee, or sell it. said:
He's whining about being "stuck" with the card...several people have recommended that he return it + pay the restocking fee, or sell it.

Actually pending on where he purchased it; he can get the restocking fee waved. I did. I just stated that i spent $500 on a card, and a card (the 8800GT) was released that performed on par with it. Than stated that had I had the knowledge that a card, mind you $220 cheaper, was going to perform on the same level as the $500, than my purchase would have been directed to the cheaper product. They agreed, and waved the restocking fee for my return. it makes sense anyways, there's no logic in staying with a product that is twice as much in cost but has relatively the same performance figures. Just my $0.02. :kaola: 
November 2, 2007 12:49:38 AM

Quote:
As for the universe collapsing...sure, it's possible.

I'm glad someone understood the sarcasm and humor in that.
!