Is a fan controller needed for overclocking?

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I have been looking at fan controllers and they are not very expensive so would it be a good idea to buy one? Would it help for overclocking?

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
It won't help.. but it will let you get a much louder fan. As in you can get a 150 CFM fan and undervolt it when you don't want it up too loud.

Short answer? No.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

I'm a government employee.. I'm supervising a contractor today.

I was playing Solitaire on a Windows 3.1 Machine but I got bored.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Yep.. and Youtube, Video Google.. all that.

Luckily www.muse.mu works so I can listen to some music.

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I like the idea of being able to turn off my fans at night so the computer wont be very loud because i cant download things overnight.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Well.. if you do that you might as well turn the computer off. The fan controller isn't useful for that. Turning the fans down while overclocked might cause temperatures to rise too high (depending on the setup).

And Silver: Yea I like them, Wirelessfender got me started on them.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Honestly your best bet is a mild OC with whatever you get.

Turning it down at night for DLing would require having a second OC or something like that. The Fan Controller might help if you enjoy benchmarking (which I personally do) and occasionally need the maximum cooling you can get.

Edit: By movies he means pr0n. And by games he means completely legal copies of games that he bought through Steam or Direct2Drive, correct?

And Silver: Heck yes, entire song.. it's awesome. Listen to the entire Absolution Album (best of all imo).

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

My bad :whistle: :whistle:

Solitaire

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
By movies he means pr0n. And by games he means completely legal copies of games that he bought through Steam or Direct2Drive, correct?

How dare you pull your punch! Use [sarcasm] tags next time! :lol:

And a fan controller won't help your OC but you can just dial down a loud CPU cooler a notch when downloading... er, above materials... at night, as downloading puts relatively little strain on CPU, thus less heat to dissipate. Just make sure your idle temps are low enough at that fan speed before you leave it on all night...

Downloading...

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
If im only at night then the CPU load is going to be really low because it isnt going to be doing much. So would it be possible just to have 1 fan up? I just want my PC silent while i sleep and to download at same time.

Solitaire

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Not great, especially in any OC'd system - that fan will be responsible for singlehandedly dragging air in, shoving it across the CPU and then back out again (not counting the PSU fan, you shouldn't rely on that for system cooling anyway!). And one noisy fan is much worse on the ears than any number of quiet ones! Much better idea is to set all fans to minimal settings (if they are variable-speed) - at low speeds most fans are virtually silent, if not then they're probably on their last legs! One of the (few) uses of a multi-fan controller is to change fan speed (via power control) of otherwise static single-speed fans.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
If you want a silent PC get cooling like an overclocker and don't run fans.

It's a trade off. If you want to OC it's not going to be silent unless you invest in water cooling (a GOOD setup).

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Noone said they were useless. However they aren't going to help with overclocking.

As far as temperatures go they aren't going to show you the most important ones.. Core Temp and GPU Temps. System temp isn't nearly as important unless calibrating Tcase via Ambient.