Budget gaming computer build-- need double-checking!

Podling

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
After research and consultation, I've put together a budget gaming computer (and it comes out to about $600, more than I wanted but less than I feared). I'd appreciate it if component-knowledgeable folks could take a glance at this and double-check my compatibilities; I think everything should work together, but I want to make certain that I haven't overlooked anything in my ignorance:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5 (already bought, so not changing)

new case fan (to replace the stock 80mm intake; should I get another to replace the stock 120mm exhaust?)

Asus M2A MVP

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz

2x1G RAM

Sapphire Radeon HD 2600XT

Corsair 450W PSU-- I have an IDE drive that I'll be putting in this machine, so I guess I have to find a converter cable?

Western Digital Caviar SE 160 GB SATA hard drive

DVD-ROM--OEM, so will I need a separate SATA connection cable?

I'll be installing Windows XP on the thing, and using it for comparatively light gaming (WoW, LotR Online, a bunch of older stuff [Baldur's Gate, Diablo II, Icewind Dale, etc.], and maybe NWN2).

Thanks for the input!

Podling

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007

The x1950pro is out of my price range, unfortunately, unless there's somewhere that has them cheaper than Newegg-- I'm having to stick with cards that are ~$100 or less.

Looks good and will play those games well. As far as the SATA cable issue, you have 4 sata connectors on the motherboard and 6 sata power connectors on the PSU. The hard drives usually come with the sata cables unless you buy OEM.

If you buy OEM, then you will need sata cables for each sata device in addition.

Podling

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007

That's what I figured . . . my motherboard seems to have one sata cable included, so I went ahead and ordered another. Even if it turns out to be extra, it probably doesn't hurt to have another on hand. And Newegg is a hell of a lot cheaper than Best Buy for little things like this . . .

shurpajack

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
I agree with jay2tall, if you going to install XP, there is no need to have a card that is DX10 compatible when you can have a card that is more powerful for just $35 more.