Sign in with
Your question

CRT is blown, buy a LCD or?

Last response: in Components
October 21, 2007 12:44:34 PM

My 5 year old CRT screen recently died, I desperately need a new monitor and have been looking for a new CRT but the Samsung Syncmaster 957MB I have been looking for is not for sale anywhere, should I go for a LCD? I am looking for a good 19 inch mostly for playing games and watching videos, what is a good LCD?

More about : crt blown buy lcd

October 21, 2007 1:05:07 PM

to be honest here the best (price/performance) monitor to go for is the LG flatron wide. it super cheap, like sub £100. it looks smooth, 2000:1 contrast ration, 5ms and it also gets a energy star rating.

im using one now after the same search you are doing. i got it cheap i reccon you could get it cheaper. no ghosting or dead pixels and im kind of rough on my monitor. so i give that monitor 5stars.

BTW is @ 1440 * 900 (which is hi def (720+) not quite 1080 but you be lucky to get a good 19" moniter at a higher res. it has both DVi and VGA

tell how it goes
October 21, 2007 1:56:12 PM

Honestly, CRTs still offer higher picture quality than an LCD... ghosting simply is not possible on one. However, there are just too many reasons now for buying an LCD... they're obviously smaller/lighter, they use less electricity, there's no adjusting to get the image to fit on the screen... I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea. My personal preference leans towards Viewsonic.
Related resources
October 21, 2007 2:17:34 PM

I'd go for LCD. Recently brought a 22" Acer for $239.99 free shipping off NewEgg a couple of months ago. It was a sight for my sore eyes. :lol: 
October 21, 2007 2:22:06 PM

I remember how CRT's would stain my eyes, if I still had one I think I'd be blind by now. Your CRT did you a favor.
October 21, 2007 2:27:17 PM

I was a massive CRT fan until recently.

After buying my first LCD (HP LP2065, 20.1" 4:3 1600x1200, S-IPS panel) I have never looked back.

That said, the cheaper LCDs are horrible to use imho.

I'm now using a Dell 30" 16:10 2560x1600 screen, and I wouldn't switch to a CRT for the world.
October 21, 2007 2:33:19 PM

Buy yourself a good LCD and don't look back.
October 21, 2007 3:13:54 PM

yes!!! LCD
October 21, 2007 4:18:44 PM

It's very hard to find a good CRT these days. You are really limited to LCD.
October 21, 2007 7:21:39 PM

You should get a crt, a gravis ultrasound, and a voodoo 5.
October 21, 2007 7:28:58 PM

oooh voodoo 5.
Trouble is, if I bought one of them, I wouldn't have any money left over to buy a 386 processor or 1 meg memory upgrade.
October 21, 2007 7:47:29 PM

LCDs have been replacing CRT monitors over the past few years.

To be honest, switching over to a LCD monitor is something that will take time to get used to. This is especially true if you are buying a cheap LCD using TN panel technology. More on that later.

Not sure which country you live in, but in the US you can buy the Samsung Syncmaster 957MB from Superwarehouse.com:

Samsung SyncMaster 957MB 19" CRT Monitor --> $300

LCDs are great because they:
1. Have a small footprint.

2. Relatively inexpensive (That's both good and bad).

3. Uses less electricity than a similar CRT screen size.

4. Many widescreen LCDs if you wish to "upgrade from a standard 4:3 monitor".

5. No radiation hitting your eyes.

LCD are bad because they:
1. Usually have some ghosting issues (seeing both the actual image and one or two faint previous images) - This also depends on how your brain processes signals your eyes transmit to it. It's different for everyone. For instance, one of my friends has a 5ms 22" LCD monitor, he does not see any ghosting, but I can definitely see ghosting.

2. Native Resolution - In order for images and text to look their best, the resolution must be set at native (or max) resolution on an LCD monitor. You can scale a CRT monitor to any resolution the CRT can handle and the images and text will look pretty clear and sharp. This is not the case with LCDs because the pixels do not scale very well, it won't look horrible, but it won't look as good as if the resolution was native.

3. Color Accurary (and LCD panel technology) - A good CRT will always provide better color accuracy than an LCD, this can be true even for some high end LCD monitors. Colors accuracy is based on the panel tech used.

a) TN Panels - These panels make up the majority of LCD monitors being sold. They are inexpensive and have low response times (technically this means lower chances of seeing the ghosting effect). But they are also the worst at color accuracy. Without going into some mathematical formulas, TN panels produces 6-bit colors which translates to 262k colors. Thru a process called dithering the remaining 16 million colors can be estimated. This can cause image artifacts to appear, and at least for me, I can see these artifacts. All 22" LCD monitors use TN panels.

b) MVA/PVA & S-IPS Panels - Monitors using these type of panels will be a little more expensive than TN panels. In the case of monitors using S-IPS panels, they will be very expensive. These panels have very good color accuracy because they produce 8-bit colors which (leaving out the math) means they can actually produce 16.7 million colors. These monitors are less likely to display image artifacts, but are slightly slower than TN panels (meaning slightly higher chances of seeing ghosting effect).

4. Viewing Angles - No matter how much off center you are viewing a CRT, the colors will not change with the angle. That's not the case with LCDs. TN panels offers the worst viewing angles, MVA/PVA offers much better viewing angles, and S-IPS panels offers the best. Not a big deal if you are staring straight at your LCD monitor. Top and bottom viewing angles on a TN panel monitor can more or less look horrendous.

5. Black Levels (Backlight Bleeding) - On a CRT black is black. On an LCD black is not always black. This is because LCDs uses backlighting which is always on. They way an LCD "creates" black is to physically turn that teeny tiny pixel to the "off" position which blocks the backlight from shinning through. There will always be some little bit of light shinning through (very, very little), which may not be visible in a brightly lit room, but in a room with very little light it can become visible. TN panels have the worst black levels.

-----------------------------------------

The best thing to do is walk into a store (like BestBuy) that has PC with an LCD monitor and a game loaded up on it. Try out the game and see for yourself if you can notice any differences between a CRT and LCD. Also check out the text documents and pictures and change the LCD's resolution as well.
October 21, 2007 8:48:21 PM

LCD. CRTs still have their advantages but on the whole LCDs are a better choice.
October 21, 2007 8:56:52 PM

Where do you live? How much do you want to spend? What is the most critical task you will be using the monitor for? How soon are you going to be making the purchase? If you are in the US, Lets talk.

Great time to buy an LCD, Great time to be confused by all that is offered. If you have a spare that you can use in the meantime that is best becuase then you won't be rushed into a decision. There is a Goodwill electronics surplus store here in Austin where you can by a 20" trinitron for $25.00. If you can find a used monitor in the meantime somewhere don't overpay for it.

In looking for an LCD, the best bet is to get an 8bit panel over a 6 bit. I recently got 2 24" Soyo LCD's at Officemax for $300.00 out the door(8 bitpanel, 6ms response, 1000:1 contrast, 500 brightness). Yep, it is a little known brand so if you go that route buy the 2 year extended warranty that also covers accidental damage for $50.00. They are not on sale this week but probably will be next week. Another thing to remember is "BLACK FRIDAY" is coming when pricing will be very competitive(if you can wait that long).

I would recommend against a 20" widescreen as they are too small and the price difference negligible. Both 22" and 20" monitors have the same resolution of 1680*1050 while the 24" monitor's resolution is 1920*1200. I have 2 20inch samsung LCD's that I am dissatisfied with because of the screen size now that I have the 24" LCD's I have turned the brightness al the way down - a beautiful picture BTW I also have 2 viewsonics dells and envision LCD monitors. Just a thought.
October 21, 2007 9:53:57 PM

jaguarskx said:
All 22" LCD monitors use TN panels.

I was wondering about this as I haven't been able to find any 22" panels that list a viewing angle over 170. Since most lcd manufacturers don't list what type of panel technology they use, because that would make too much sense, the easiest way to tell what technology a panel use is to look at the viewing angle. 160 to 170 and it's TN, 176 to 178 is MVA/PVA and I-IPS is 178.

Okay so sometimes you can't tell a MVA from an IPS but at least you can avoid TN. Another interesting difference is that TN panels tend to get stuck(bright) pixels while IPS tends to get dead (dark) pixels. I'm not sure which MVA panels get.

My favorite LCD brands are (in order): Planar, LG, Dell, BenQ. I actually own a dell 2405 and a Planar PX2611W. Here is what I would buy today in each panel size:

17" Samsung 740BX
19" NEC 1970VX-BK
20" HP LP2065
21" NEC 2170NX-BK
22" Planar PX2210MW
24" LG L245WP
26" Planar px2611w
30" Dell 3007WFP-HC
October 21, 2007 9:59:30 PM

At the time I got my new rig I didn't have that deep understanding of computer screens but now I really wish I got a CRT. LCD is a bit too bright for me. If you game in the dark or game at all get a
October 21, 2007 10:45:26 PM

MagicPants said:
I was wondering about this as I haven't been able to find any 22" panels that list a viewing angle over 170. Since most lcd manufacturers don't list what type of panel technology they use, because that would make too much sense, the easiest way to tell what technology a panel use is to look at the viewing angle. 160 to 170 and it's TN, 176 to 178 is MVA/PVA and I-IPS is 178.

Lenovo will soon release the first S-PVA (unless it's a P-MVA; I can't recall now) next month. I don't recall the model off the top of my head. The Eizo ColorEdge CG221 is currently the only 22" LCD panel that uses a S-IPS panel; however at $5,000+ it's not exactly geared towards the consumer market.

Quote:
My favorite LCD brands are (in order): Planar, LG, Dell, BenQ. I actually own a dell 2405 and a Planar PX2611W.

Yeah, I like Planar too. I currently have the 4+ year old 19" Planar PX191 which was about $650 (on sale) back then. No dead pixels, and only very, very minor backlight bleeding at the corners; the room needs to be completely dark to see them.

I was considering the Planar PX2611w myself, but I was also looking at the NEC LCD2690WUXi too. I finally decided to place an order for the NEC after a $400+ price drop; still more expensive than the PX2611w though. I guess NEC will be releasing a version that uses LEDs for backlighting soon. Hopefully I will get it tomorrow or Tuesday.

October 21, 2007 10:46:24 PM

I've been lucky enough to find a GDM-FW900 and am not sure if I would settle for an inferior CRT...BUT I will also never opt for a LCD as long as this baby is alive(and I've seen some serious LCDs), make your own conclusions
October 22, 2007 2:43:08 PM

My crt has a fuse. Are you sure its not that, or did your screen, like, implode?
October 22, 2007 2:56:41 PM

Get an LCD. I recently upgraded from an almost 10years old CRT and the difference was astounding. For my needs I decided to go 4:3 with a 19'' Samsung 932BW. An amazing screen I have to say. No more eye strain. I don't see any ghosting on mine. Very, very happy with it.

One thing to make sure is if you go to a widescreen LCD, make sure your computer/graphic card can handle it. Personally, unless you watch lots of movies on them I think widescreen displays FOR THE MOMENT are more of a gimmick than anything else. Not enough applications support those ratios, IMHO.

In any case go LCD.
October 22, 2007 3:09:07 PM

Best monitor (LCD) for games ATM:

Samsung 22'' 226BW Preto
October 22, 2007 3:33:50 PM

Woops, small typo. I wrote Samsung 932BW. What I meant was Samsung 932BF.
October 22, 2007 3:47:00 PM

Current Monitor - Dell 2001FP, 20 in 4::3, with VGA, DVI, S-video, Comp Video inputs, Love it. Stand-a-lone Liteon 5001 DVD recorder is connected to the comp input. This replaced a Dell 18 In LCD (Still have as a backup).

Gave my wife the Viewsonic 19 in (paid $800 shortly after price drop after they came out. This replaced a very good 19 in viewsonic Pro CRT.

Bear in mind a standard 19 in LCD is aproxx 1 in bigger than a 19 in CRT.
!