Asus P5B Deluxe Help Please.

shifter101

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi I bought the following hardware a number of months ago and would just like some advice about setting it up to its max potential.

1 x Seagate 7200.10 320GB SATAII/300 8.5ms 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM
1 x Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13ghz - Skt775 Fsb1066 2mb Cache Boxed
1 x Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC
1 x ASUS P5B DLX/WIFI-AP Pentium 4/Celeron/Pentium D/PentiumEE/65nm
HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ 3 TURBO SILENT Heatpipe 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) Retail (H195PRQT256DD-R)
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA804)

Please could you try and answer the following questions.

1. In my bios the HDD mode is set to IDE. To increase performance should i set this to ACHI ? I only run the 1 HDD split into 2 partitions and I use 1 IDE pioneer DVDRW.

2. Using the motherboard cdrom I can create a floopy boot disk to install the storage device drivers. When I press F6 to install the drivers during win xp sp2 32bit installation which driver should i install ?? I think there were 4 options the last time I installed. ICH8R 32 bit rings a bell. Can someone please tell me which one to pick?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

1. Leave the HDD mode set to IDE.

2. You do not need the F6 function to install drivers for SATA hard drives.

In BIOS, set the first boot device to be your DVD player. Insert the Windows CD into the DVD tray. Save and Exit BIOS. When the system reboots at the prompt 'select any key to boot from CD' you select any key and boot from the windows CD. Load the operating system, then the P5B MB drivers.

You did not mention which version of Windows operating system you are attempting to install.

shifter101

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Hi thanks for the reply. I do understand how to install windows I have done it many times im just wondering if by changing the mode to ACHI in the bios if it will increase my system performance. In the past I have done it as you said just left it set to ide in the bios. Also i mentioned above that I would be installing win xp home sp2 32 bit. Normally i need to create a boot disk for the sata drivers and press F6 as it fails to detect drivers for the mass storage device. Just wondering which out of the 4 options i need to install ??

thanks

Matt

Leave the setting at IDE and you will not need to use a floppy at the F6 prompt. Just set the first boot device to DVD and insert the Windows CD. The ACHI mode has nothing to do with performance. You do not have an OS installed, so performance is not an issue at this point.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Agreed... The main reason to install the driver at boot is if you are running a RAID config off the mainboard, which you are not. Just stick with IDE and youll be fine.

TRENDING THREADS