Zalman CNPS9700 LED w/D975XBX issue

CBear

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Hi guys! I did my first build ever a few months ago, and was fairly pleased with it, with the exception that the processor zone temperature seemed rather high. So I decided to remove the default intel heatsink for my Core 2 Duo and instead purchased a Zalman CNPS9700 LED. While it is compatable with the socket, there is one small problem: the intel fan has a four pin power supply (the board's CPU FAN is four pins) whereas the Zalman is a three pin. I have a free three pin nearby (for the rear fan power supply, which is not needed with the way I've set up my antec case).

Would it be safe to plug in the three pin zalman into the four pin mobo? Or should I instead plug it into the rear fan three pin and adjust the speed manually?

Thanks

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
If you plug the 3 pin fan into pins 1,2,3 of the mobo it should run but probably @100%. You may be able to change the fan control in the BIOS from PWM to legacy or voltage or something like that.
The Pins are
Pin 1 & 2 power
Pin 3 Fan RPM sensor
Pin 4 PWM fan Control
PWM = Pulse Width Modulation

When all else fails, read the D975XBX manual. On page 40, it has a nice diagram showing how to plug in a 3-pin fan to the 4-pin mobo fan plug. The caveat is that the fan will want to run at full speed.