Sign in with
Your question

Is it safe to store a hard drive in a TV shelf UNDER a 27'' CRT TV?

Last response: in Storage
May 16, 2008 7:26:30 PM

The title pretty much sums it up. My TV sits on top of the TV shelf and there are two spaces. One is for my VCR and the other is for 2 hard drives that I use for storage and backup purposes. They're actually Seagate 7200.10 (firmware AAJ) that I've placed in external enclosures. Are there traces of magnetism from the TV that could kill my HDs? One thing I've noticed is that the two HD's that are down there show a fitness + performance of 90-92% (through speedfan) while two of the same drives (AAJ and AAE firmware) in my computer case show 96-98%. The ones in my case have been running for almost a year now for almost 12 hrs/day while the external ones have been up for probably less than 72 hours total. Could the TV be causing this degradation?
May 16, 2008 7:29:40 PM

I'll also add that the raw read error isn't as high for the external drives as compared to the internal ones in my case (100 - "normal" vs 117 - "very good").
May 16, 2008 7:42:27 PM

As far as the magnetic field goes, there is absolutely no danger to the hard drive. The magnetic field strength that would be required to alter data on the hard drives is several orders of magnitude higher than what the TV could possibly generate, much less what it could leak.

Your performance numbers are lower for the externals due to the interface (USB, I assume).
Related resources
May 16, 2008 7:44:06 PM

I agree with SomeJoe..

I will say your data is probably in more jeopardy from the TV falling thru the shelf and crushing your drives!!
a b G Storage
May 16, 2008 7:45:00 PM

SomeJoe7777 said:
As far as the magnetic field goes, there is absolutely no danger to the hard drive. The magnetic field strength that would be required to alter data on the hard drives is several orders of magnitude higher than what the TV could possibly generate, much less what it could leak.

Your performance numbers are lower for the externals due to the interface (USB, I assume).

Agreed. Well said.
a b x TV
a c 155 G Storage
May 16, 2008 7:54:05 PM

Normal should be ok. the TV may make a magnetic pulse(degaussing the screen), but it should not be strong enough to get into the hard drive and cause damage. Those numbers are all in the normals for those drives. No 2 drives are the same, you may have some that are just "better" then others. I have drives with about the same attributes(2 at 90 1 drive at 92 and another at 96[the 92 and 96 are the same drive and have run the same amount of time, but the 96 has done more work.]) inside my computer now.

I would not worry unless something starts to drop much lower. I have seen drives with high 90's still be failing anyway. its just an attempted indicator, not aways accurate.

My computer sat with a TV on one side and a crt monitor on the other for years without issues(i still have a tv right next to the tower.).

EDIT

Damn SomeJoe7777 is fast
May 16, 2008 7:56:45 PM

Only issue you might have would be little airflow in the enclosed space and the external hard drives can get hot.
May 16, 2008 7:58:33 PM

Harddrives...last I checked were also internally sheilded to prevent them from interfering with sensitive equipptment because they generate much stronger magnetic fields.
May 16, 2008 8:03:06 PM

If it were an issue, we would have known long ago with DVR boxes having hard drives around tvs.
May 16, 2008 8:16:11 PM

I think heat is your only enemy here, but with most external harddrives that is the problem. Those babies get damn hot sometimes!!!
a b x TV
a c 155 G Storage
May 16, 2008 8:22:48 PM

rockbyter said:
If it were an issue, we would have known long ago with DVR boxes having hard drives around tvs.

Good point.
a c 353 G Storage
May 16, 2008 8:31:06 PM

Nope - as Nukemaster stated the largest magnetic pulse come when TV (CRT) is first turned on (degauseing and is AC induced). The Magnetic field is quite strong up close but strenght is inversely proportional to distance squared.

In the case of the platers, they are VERY close to the Heads. Your stored HDD platters are a Million times farther (estimate - don't really know how many hairs can fit) away from the TV comparred to the Heads plus as pointed out the HDD is inclosed in a Iron (Ferromagnetic) box.
May 16, 2008 8:38:57 PM

Wow, such an overwhelming response! I actually use esata and don't operate the hard drives from within the TV shelf. I just store them there due to lack of space on my desk.

In any case, thank you so much everyone for your contributing!
May 16, 2008 8:39:55 PM

In One Word

YES!!!
!