My First Build - help a brother out

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Read and follow the directions and don't ASSume. Take your time. Best to test after putting in each component. Have the online version of the mobo manual up, much easier to see things. Follow the directions on the driver CD, i.e., load the drivers in the order suggested and reboot anytime you're asked. Don't celebrate until Windows is installed and booting. :)

thatcrazy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
I know about static but not wrist straps.....

I planned on putting it together on the garage floor on card board to avoid any kind of static shock. Naked LOL

When do you put in the DVD for the mother board drivers? At first boot up? or after windows is installed?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Do you have to use a wrist strap? I mean all you do is touch a metal that connects to the earth to discharge most of the electricity. Theoretically.

I suggest breadboarding (assembling all the parts on an insulated surface outside the case) the system to test all the parts before you install them inside the case. After one problem build about 5 years ago, I always breadboard. I use a nylon cutting board for an insulated surface.

Whether you do breadboard or not, install the HSF before you install the motherboard in the case. The 4 pushpins that Intel uses to mount it's stock HSF has caused problems before. It is much easier to check for proper installation with motherboard outside the case.

RTFM and doublecheck all of your connections.

thatcrazy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
I know but I didn't want the 64 bit right now. I am not running any 64 bit apps. Theres no reason to get it.
When 64 bit becomes standard stuff then I'll just upgrade to it and buy more memory. Plus I read alot of people have incompatibility problems with it.

"Put simply, running a 64-bit (x64) version of Windows Vista does not make sense for most people, though I suspect that will change over time. While the Vista x64 versions surprised me with their excellent hardware compatibility--a claim I'd never make about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition--nagging software compatibility issues ultimately sunk any hopes I had of moving to the 64-bit system."

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

It looks like you've already purchased 4GB, so you'll be missing out on about 1 gig if you use a 32-bit OS. You see, 32-bit operating systems can only address 4GB of RAM. Windows uses some of this address space for behind-the-scenes stuff, and your GPU has to get its share too. This cuts into the address space that should be going to your RAM, limiting you to a little over 3GB to work with. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between 3GB and 4GB, so it's not a big deal, but I just thought you should know ;)

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

Yep, and his video card has 512MB, so it'll take a sizable chunk. If I were to guess I'd say he'll end up with around 3.2GB.

thatcrazy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
Everything was installed but I can't get my sound to work.

I tried putting in a sound blaster audigy card at first but it didn't work. It was installed right and was listed as working properly but there just wasn't any sound..

Than I tried putting in the sound card that came with the motherboard. It just slips right into a small slot onto the motherboard. No sound either... thats the current one I left in. All it says to do in the manual is pop it in its spot and thats it..

Anyone know what to do???

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
First, you should only run one sound card at a time and it would be easier to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and try the Creative card rather than uninstalling the Creative card. If you've already uninstalled the Creative card, then work with the onboard. Regardless of which card you'll use make sure that the speakers are plugged into the correct plug, if they are colored, it should be the green one. If they're not covered, check the manual that came with the audio card. Make sure the speakers are plugged in and turned on. Check the sound card software and make sure nothing is muted. I just installed a new sound card that at first didn't work, found out I ASSumed I had it plugged into the correct connection on the card, which I didn't :eek:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006