GA-P35C-DS3R fails to post, no beep codes

gorotsuki

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Hi there,

This is my first post but not my first ever build, but since i built my last PC about 5 years ago the technology has moved a little!

This is my new build:
■Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
■Intel Q6600 G0 stepping (Stock Fan cooling atm)
■BFG GeForce 8800GT OC
■GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC2-6400C4 800MHz (4-4-4-12) 1.9V-2.3V
■WD Sata II 160Gb HDD
■Zalman ZM600-HP 600W PSU
■Antec 900 Case

I built it all up, pressed the power button, all the fans and lights came on but nothing going to the monitor ("No Input"). Also no lights on the keyboard/mouse. Power/reset button doesnt work and the only way i can shut down is to pull the power.

Ive done a bit of reading on peoples problems with this board but it isnt the normal "endless boot cycle" that ive heard about. As i mentioned above all fans continue to stay on.

I've tried taking everything out so im left with just the PSU, CPU and the board but im not even getting any beep codes. (im not sure if there is even an onboard speaker?? maybe thats why?).

also theres a 12v ATX 4-pin power connector just above the CPU. Im not actually sure what this is and what gets plugged in if anything. whats the difference between that and the 24-pin power connector?

Basically i am trying to think of anything i havent done properly setting it up, or if there actually is a faulty component then what i can do to identify it before i go RMAing stuff!

Any help at all is very much appreciated.

Cheers

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
that connector is to power the cpu. there should be a matching plug coming from your power supply. plug it in and retry. if that doesn't work, reset the cmos and try again. if nothing again, try taking out a memory module and booting with only one, then try the other. after all this, we will have eliminated several possibilities.

gorotsuki

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your quick reply.. yeah the cpu power connector did the trick, i am feeling an idiot at the moment!

Only thing now is the stock heatsink and fan arent doing such a good job. CPU temps were going above 65 and still rising! If i press down on it, it settles at a nice 35.

The thing doesnt fit very easily and i dont want to push too hard incase the mobo gets damaged. I'll try a different fan and see if it gets any better..

Thinking of a zalman, unless anyone knows of any issues with them on this board?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
believe me, all do-it-yourself-ers have done dumb stuff. I once almost threw a computer out of the window cause it wouldn't start only to find that the switch on the back of the psu was off.

i agree with the other guys, those push pins are a royal pain in the arse, so make sure all four are in all the way. just don't break the board in the process. if it won't work, look into a deeply discounted and solidly performing Coolermaster hyperTX as a good alternative. or, if you want to go higher-end, the zalman 9700 or thermalright ultra 120 are great choices. there aren't really any clearance issues with this board, so it shouldn't really matter.

And memory also. It's better to install things like these into a motherboard while it is being fully supported on a flat surface, before you install the motherboard in a case.

NavNan

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
It would seem that a improper contact between your CPU and fan may be the culprit. A product like Dow Corning's 340 silicone heat sink compound applied to the contact surface of the CPU/fan may help. The fact that press it down makes it better adds to my post of this fix.

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Get an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. It is much better constructed than the low quality Intel stock heatsink (which I actually used as a reason to RMA my E6550 to Newegg and exchange it for a E6750), and will cool better. I had the same problem with the Intel heatsink you did.