A few memory questions

N_Jay

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
Thanks to all who answered my other question.

So here are the new questions.

1) What is the chance I received a bad memory stick in my Patriot DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12, 2.2V) kit.

I put the memory in my Intel DG965wh with a 6320 CPU. It boots and runs but crashes later.

I am now trying one stick at a time to see what happens. SO far stick 1 is OK.

The original memory was Kingston KVR800D2, and was very stable.
I only changed it to test the new memory before I send in the rebate.

2) Could it be a marginal compatibility issue rather then a "bad" stick?

I have an msi 945gcm5-f and a Intel 925 CPU coming.

3) Do people think it might work better in that board?

4) Is there a good memory test program I can use to check everything.

Its %90 a bad stick rather than compatibility issue
Memtest is a very good program and it tests only memory
ORTHOS , PRIME95 and OCCT are good programms too but they are used mainly for testing the OverClock of the CPU , but they test the RAM too
But if u only want to test your memory, go for memtest

onestar

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
It has been my rather unpleasant experience that different MBs run substantially different with different memory sets. I have an ASUS that runs fantastic with PQI but crashes with Kingston when both have the same memory configuration and setting.

Moving the Kingston to a Gigabyte board was smooth sailing. After hundreds if not thousands of systems built, I still have the occasional misfit. I realize that you may not have another system to try your memory in, and in such a case, perhaps an RMA is in order.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Go with Maziar the memtest is the best way to go... if you google memtest86+ there will be a downloadable bootcd ... burn and boot off cd and see how it goes... testing both sticks then one then the other.

Memtest86 was originally developed by Chris Brady; Memtest86+ is developed by Samuel Demeulemeester. After several years of a development standstill, both are actively worked on and new versions have been released in January 2007. The bootloading code was originally derived from Linux 1.2.1. Memtest86 is written in C and x86 assembler. The source code is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL). The current version of Memtest86 is v3.3 released on January, 12th 2007 and v1.70 of Memtest86+, released on January, 14th 2007. Both versions now support current dual- and quad-core-CPU's and the corresponding chipsets.