Is my Corsair HX620W dead or just overloaded?

PrimaryComplex

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Hi, i recently built a PC 4 weeks ago with the following specs:

e6750
XFX 8800 Ultra
X-fi XtremeGamer
2x 1Gb OCZ Platinum rev2 PC6400
1x Seagate 320 Gb SATA
2x Optical drives (1 combo, 1 dvd-r)

I have 2 120mm fans, 1 80mm fan, and a 50mm fan in there, powered by a Corsair HX620W PSU.
I've OC'd the CPU and video card and it was running fine until 2 weeks ago when the system would just shut off. This would be intermittent, sometimes i'd be able to use it for hours, other times it wouldn't even get past POST. It's been getting worse to the point until the rig just stays on for about 5 secs before shutting down.

Jamming a voltmeter to one of the 4-pin molex plugs, i found that my 12V output drops to as low as 10.3V when the PC is turned on.

I've already arranged for my PSU to be replaced since there's obviously something wrong with the unit, but i'm curious as to whether its overloaded, in which case i'll have to start looking for a higher powered PSU. Just like to ask if getting a bigger one (i'm thinking gigabyte odin 880W) would be better and then just sell my PSU once it gets replaced.

Thanks!

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
The Corsair HX series are excellent power supplies and the 620 should be more than adequate for powering your system. Even the best companies manufacture a few that contain components that are destined for early failure. Thankfully, you've got a 5 year warranty to back you up. I would also recommend a UPS to keep the voltage regulated. Surge protectors protect you against surges or spikes but do nothing for undervoltages which can cause some quarky things to happen.

PrimaryComplex

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Thanks for the replies! Will try going back to stock when i get home. I think i'll look into a UPS as well. Right now the PC is plugged into a surge protector.

10.3 volts? OUCH! That is low for a decent PSU like that. I would be wary of what you are loading up with.

I would advise that you ensure that you are spreading the 12v load among the 3 different rails, and not overloading one of them.

If you still have the voltage drop after resetting your clocks, I would definitely recommend rma.

PrimaryComplex

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Bad news, PC is still dead in the water even after resetting my clocks. I was happy it booted up then BAM! the voltmeter sinks to 10.3 @ stock. I'll try redistributing my plugs, Actually, i've already tried unplugging everything except the HDD and the GPU. Is there anything i should be aware of like poor grounding? I kinda get shocks when i touch the case.

My first thought was that something went bad with your mobo. Not sure if it's the PSU, especially if you RMA'd it already and got to put on the new one. Not likely that you got 2 bad PSU's. I'm betting (guessing) that you might have something grounding out your 12v line. Here's a link to a 380w PSU running an e6600 OC'd w/a 8800gtx, just showing you that your not overpowering your PSU.
8800gtx on 380w PSU!
http://www.overclockers.com/articles1452/

PrimaryComplex

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Actually, i'm still waiting for the guy i bought it from for the RMA. But that's another angle i'm looking at if the PSU still fails after the RMA. Any tips for the grounding out thing?

.. I kinda shocked my face once peeking into the PC, my cheek hit the frame. :lol:

You could've had static electricity when you got shocked, but don't know for sure. You can take everything out of the case and lay it on a non-conductive (cardboard is good) surface and hook up the CPU/mobo/PSU/memory/GPU and see if you can boot up. This will eliminate any possible shorts in the case, including the mobo standoffs.

PrimaryComplex

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
Update: I've slapped my mobo on a piece of foam and its working.

And apparently i deserve a moron of the year award for placing a standoff on the mounting tray that wasn't needed which might have been doing funky stuff under the mobo. I took it out and have remounted the mobo to the tray. I just have to torture test it to see if i get any voltage drops. I'm cruising at 11.91 without anything connected.

NICE!!! Glad I could help. I know that all of us have made similar mistakes in the past, so we live and learn every day :)

PrimaryComplex

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007

Thanks to all who posted. You were really a big help. I owe you guys one. :)