Grumpel

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Anyone able to help me out on which of these to pick? They have similar specs but I am unfamiliar with MSI as a whole never having used any of their products. However, I have heard nothing but great things about EVGA. The cards that I am trying to make a decision between are:

MSINX8800GTX-T2D768E-HD OC

VS.

EVGA Superclocked 768-P2-N835-AR GeForce 8800GTX

Also am I making a mistake getting a factory over clocked video card? I myself do not over clock or attempt to do it. My thinking is if it comes from the factory that it will be stable and ok. If this is not worth it should I just get the standard non clocked versions and save myself a few nickels and dimes? Thank you ahead of time for your help.

G

OCing nVidia cards is actually really easy with the nTune software included in the driver set, but better if you download the Riva Tuner. But a factory OC'd card is stable and covered under the factory's warranty, so don't worry about it.

I've never used MSI either, but have had nothing but good experiences so far with eVGA products.

Get a factory overclocked card from eVGA, BFG or XFX. Not that I have anything against MSI, but these other three have a great reputation and excellent warranties. I have personally picked the BFG 8800 GTX OC2 after reading a lot of reviews and I'm not sorry at all :)

Edit: but before you spend $500 or $600 on an 8800 GTX, read some reviews for the 8800 GT. It's hot and a bit noisy, apparently, but that can be fixed with an aftermarket cooler. You'd end up with almost the same performance as the GTX, lower electricity bills, and paying only $300 or so. There are cases where the GTX still makes sense (I've seen a benchmark with GTX at 18 fps and GT at 6 fps, for example) but they are rare. I think the GTX needs a price cut right away.

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
I've 2 evga cards, and plan to stick with eVGA for future nvidia card purchases. They have awesome factory overclocked cards with great cooling. the best part about these is that they have a lifetime warranty on all their video cards.

another great thing about evga is their step-up program. which allows you to "step-up" to a better card if one comes out within 90 days of the purchase of your current card. I've taken advantage of this myself with the 8800GT coming out. I was able to step-up to the new card, and turn in my 320mb GTS, and in this rare case, i'll even get a credit for the price difference since the GT is priced lower than the GTS...

NUFC987

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
i have no experience with MSI in the video card department, but i've used them for mobo's and they are great. I am sure you can trust them (its a nice price difference there). But Evga is one of, if not the best for video cards.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yeah! The best thing about MSI is the performance and stability, plus speed. Above all else at stocked speeds what more in overclockability. The only problem is the Heatsink, hard to replace on some models.

I am an MSI user, and installed alot of systems as my job, other highend brand is also good. I have tested others like Inno3d, very bad brand (no quality). Sparkle too, and so many.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I will quick reply this and put it to you this way...

one of the biggest fattest dumbest hicks i've ever met ran a computer shop in alabama... they had dust on their products and the guy didn't know as much as my left nut knows about pc parts. and tried to sell me a 10 year old audio card for the price of a new audigy... oh yeah, and my brother did a few builds with them (MSI) and will no longer buy them (and he's a tight wad and msi is cheap!). I won't touch them... no offense MSI guys... but that tub of lard ruined the whole company for me....

G

I've seen someone else say this in another thread so I guess I need to say it again. Are you ready?

EVGA DOES NOT GIVE CREDIT FOR PRICE DIFFERENCES. I.E. IF YOU SPENT $300 ON THE 8800GTS AND YOU STEP UP TO THE $260 8800GT THEY DO NOT GIVE YOU ONE DIME. YOU MUST ALSO PAY THE SHIPPING CHARGES FOR THE 8800GT BEING SENT TO YOU. EVGA TREATS THIS SITUATION AS AN EVEN SWAP.

Therefore, even in the rare situation where there's a better, cheaper card. The step-up program is nice, but not great. That being said, I'm stepping up my 8800GTS 320MB to the 8800GT 512 MB and paying the $13 shipping. Its a decent deal though they make you step up to the base 8800GT, you cannot step up to the 8800GT OC, or SSC, or KO, or whatever.

Call eVGA and they will tell you this.

All that being said, I'd probably buy eVGA over MSI or any other manufacturer, great warrany, great service, and every now and then that step-up is actually ok, like in this situation.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Is it like that? How stupid...

Well I don't trust EVGA, so I stick to BFG and XFX. Why I don't trust it? Cause everyone does... :kaola: I haven't tried MSI, but my opinion on it is that if you want a cheap factory overclocked card, and you also upgrade often, go for MSI.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Ok, what's your point?
psu = 305w
12v rails = 18a + 18a
264w maximum combined wattage on the 12v
divided by 12 = 22amps

Someone told me that was incorrect, but it is correct
How many 305w psu's can run a 7950GT or 8600GTS?
That was my point
Not being a dick, but your point is?

Remember, you asked

THG did a lineup comparison vs 5 brands of GTX cards and my card (EVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 KO) was the best pick over all. Sparkle had the best cooling but overall performance and cost was given to EVGA. So I decided to go with EVGA and don't regret it one minute...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I've been using an MSI 9800 PRO for the past three years and never had a problem with it, even with overclocking. I guess if your into warranties and the like and dont mind spending a little more get the XFX,BFG, etc.. I personally got the MSI NX8800GT 512.

NismoXT

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
eVGA and BFG are the best cards for uk/europe, as they are the only cards which come with lifetime warranty. XFX offers lifetime warranty in the US for some strange reason, otherwise its 24months with XFX.

Agreed. I read a huge number of reviews over the summer and my short list ended up with the eVGA ACS3 KO and the BFG 8800 GTX OC2. I got the BFG because it was available locally and because I got a huge price match on it. The Sparkle Calibre has a TEC cooler which makes the card itself cooler but it actualy increases the total heat/noise/power consumption, so the reviewers were not recommending it.

@deuce271: does eVGA allow you to send the $300 8800 GTS, pay $13 for shipping, pay another $50 or whatever, and get a superclocked 8800 GT rather than the base model? Just curious.

G

No. I asked that as well. They only allow you to purchase the base 8800GT card. I think this is because of a limited supply of the superclocked cards.

G

Its not useless. I'm using it to step up my 8800GTS 320MB, which is a good card, to the better 8800GT for the cost of shipping. Its not a fantastic deal but if you think about it, eVGA sells their cards for about the same as XFX or MSI or whatnot yet they offer the step-up program. And they're the only ones that do this. And while its not a great service, if you don't like it don't use it. But it did work out well for me in this case, given this seems like a pretty rare case where a card this much better is being sold for cheaper.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Ok, i just thought I'd chime in really quick before i leave for work.
EVGA I've had no issues with (CS wise) Love them.

MSI's CS was horrible, told me I would have a 1 month turnaround on my video card if i sent it in.

XFX...haha I've read their forums, their as bad or worse than MSI, what good is a double lifetime warranty if you cant get them to honor it

One of my coworkers ran a computer store for years. MSI is on his poop list. I've only read good things about eVGA, and the three eVGA cards I've used continue to run perfectly.

When I decide to upgrade to an 8800GT, I will probably buy eVGA again.

blackthornred

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
newegg has two good deals going in my favor a MSI GeForce 8800 GTS NX8800GTS-T2D320E-HD-OC Video Card - Retail for $90 with shipping and a Recertified: EVGA 320-P2-N811-RX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card for around $80 now the msi comes with some small extras and looks better i have herd that they both have size issues but my raidmax atx smilliodon should hold either what should i go with?

and my mobo will only support PCIe x16 no 2.0 i am on a cheep budget and this is my first build lol made a few looking ahead errors like not looking ahead

any advise would be very appreciated and any tricks are also welcome

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
blackthorn, this thread is about 2 years old. However, in response to your question, I think instead of either one of those cards, look at the ATI radeon 4670 or 9600gt, or if you can spend a little more, grab a 9800gt or an ATI 4830. I think you'd probably be happier with either of those cards. As far as the 4670, it's about 80 before shipping, but is the least power hungry of all the cards listed.

blackthornred

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
thanks but as stated my mobo only supports pci eX16 not pcie X16 2.0 ther is my problome i would be set if i could buy one of the newer cards but i cant would you be able to suggest any other card that is not pcie 2.0 for me if so i would be very greatfull