is this "old" system enough?

hardhitter

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I'm currently using this somewhat "old" PC (around 3 years old)...
Its specs are...
3.0gHz P4
1.5gB of RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9550 (AGP 8x, 256mB)

I'm currently doing a lot of Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects/Cinema 4D/Premiere editing
I'm going to upgrade to the newer versions of these programs very soon (CS3) and I want to make sure
that my PC can handle it... Do you think it is enough?

I'm thinking of adding 512gB of RAM (max out at 2gB).. and perhaps change the video card (is there a better one for AGP8x?)

Also, I've heard that you should install the same brand of RAM for your PC but does it really matter that much?

Thanks!

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If you aren't gaming you don't need a new video card, if you are gaming then you are throwing away money if you spend it on AGP.

For the things you have listed more RAM will be good but the best upgrade would be a dual-core processor if you can get one into your motherboard (low probability).

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
it's not a horrible system by any means. you can stick in another gigabyte of memory, sure. that'll help a lot. you can pick up a variety of AGP cards newer than yours. for a non-gaming machine, i believe something along the lines of a Radeon X1650Pro would suit you nicely. possibly a Radeon HD 2400 or 2600 would work too. i don't think nvidia has any AGP cards from their 8 series, but they do have the 7600GT and GS available. 7800GS and 7900GS are AGP as well, as far as i recall.

you do have options, and i have to say that sure, a CPU upgrade would be the best option overall (to a core2 or quad), but short of that, another gig of ram and a newer video card. i would say the ram is the most important upgrade, then the cpu, and then the video card.

i'm guessing the system you have is socket 478. do ram then video card. if it's socket 775, do ram, cpu, then video.

that's my thoughts.

joex444

Distinguished
Basically, the thing dragging down your performance is your CPU.

You should get atleast a Core2 Duo and 2GB RAM. If the budget allows, a Quad Core with 4GB.

You can save money over us gamers by not needing a good graphics card, which these Adobe products don't care about. Your monitor is more important for that sort of stuff ;)

hardhitter

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for all the replies.. it helped clear my mind a lot! yeah I'm going to get the RAM upgrade and perhaps the video card upgrade when my old card breaks down (it has been a bother occasionally)..

I have been thinking about the CPU upgrade but I've decided to wait for Vista and the 64-bit processors to improve (i.e. Vista service pack releases).. just my thoughts though.. :)

mazuk

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Easier said then done.

-Install another 512mb RAM
-get maybe like an x800 256mb or something like that for about £100 won't need anything more then that (probulay be fine with the system at the moment)