Sign in with
Your question

Sick of reading about the 8800GT, Whats the word on RV670?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 30, 2007 9:53:36 PM

There is enough talk about the 8800GT! Some people are not interested in replacing their GTS with it just yet even though it is an amazing card. What I want to know is what’s around the corner that’s going raise the bar? What is going to widen the ever so tiny gap between the ridiculously performing Medium range (8800GT) and the not so much better High end(8800GTX). What’s up with ATI? Is NVIDIA going to come out with something better too? What’s in store for the next 3 months?

More about : sick reading 8800gt whats word rv670

a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 9:59:00 PM

I doubt RV670 is going to be that card. Latest rumor it is slower and will be cheaper than the 8800GT. AFAIK, Next new screamers will probably be dual G92/RV670's. Not sure if they will both be single PCB's or if NV will pull a 7950GX2 type card. Not sure if we will ever see them either.
October 30, 2007 10:14:31 PM

Last I heard ATI really loved the 8800GT and decided to just buy them, slap on Dual Slot coolers, OC them to heck, and resell them.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 10:15:55 PM

Cool, I'll take one. :) 
October 30, 2007 10:17:21 PM

imo NVDA will not release another flagship untill ATI tries to compete. This is turning into somewhat of a monopoly. Just think of it that way and think of it from a business stand point and you tell me when the next high-end will come out.
October 30, 2007 10:25:08 PM

I really don't think Nvidia will release a new 7950gx2 stile card. They had to many issues and i don't think they did to good with them. Some even only used half the ram ect... I think Nvidia wont release any new card for a while. They own mid and high end and there is no war for low end.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 10:38:41 PM

The names R680 & RV680 still keep floating around cyberspace without any sign of abating. But I wouldn't get my hopes up too high as I think both nV and AMD are simply biding their time for the G100/R700 release mid 2008 in advance of intel's launch next fall'08/ early 2009.

For now expect the multi-vpu thing to be the high end, and the G92 and RV670 to be the flavour of the day for a while.
October 30, 2007 10:42:19 PM

Well I think the 3800 HD cards from AMD\ATI will be far more powerful then others here think. Not because it has DX10.1 (8800gt does not) but rather because of the following reasons---

1= Drivers have come a long ways for the HD cards since May.

2= The 2900HD isn't that far behind the current GTX

3= The 3800HD is a 2900HD basically but made with a 55nm process!

4= It will certainly be priced right with Revival at $200, and Gladiator at $250 (possible prices, names may have changed).

With such a small tech (55nm) these things could potentially overclock to unknown levels of power! Don't write these cards off soo soon people, there is great potential here to not only beat out the 8800GT but the GTX as well in raw power. Remember that the 8800GT is made with 65nm, it will not overclock quite as well (probably). ATI has a real chance of being the performance king by the end of this year.
If that happens, it will be very interesting to see what Nvidia does about it......

Everyone looking to buy a new GPU should at least wait until we have the 3800HD benchmarks in a few short weeks.... If they come out negative, then buy a 8800GT and forget that ATI ever existed, because this will basically kill them =D

Either way, this should be an exciting fight. The price wars will begin soon!
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 10:44:05 PM

smokedyou911 said:
I really don't think Nvidia will release a new 7950gx2 stile card. They had to many issues and i don't think they did to good with them. Some even only used half the ram ect...

Do you have examples of that? I never heard of a GX2 using half the ram, sounds more like someone was confused on how SLi worked expecting it to double their VRAM.
As for the GX2 version of the GF8 series I doubt it'll come, only because it seems nV has trouble with Quad SLi but has Tri-SLi up and running fine, so no point in having a GX2 if you can't team it with another one. So you're likely to see a Quad-Fire vs Tri-SLi showdown in a few weeks time leading up to the Xmas rush, whether or not that comes as a shiny 2 VPU boarrd or just the recommendation to buy more cards is an unknown for now.
October 30, 2007 10:50:58 PM

gamebro said:
Well I think the 3800 HD cards from AMD\ATI will be far more powerful then others here think. Not because it has DX10.1 (8800gt does not) but rather because of the following reasons---

1= Drivers have come a long ways for the HD cards since May.

2= The 2900HD isn't that far behind the current GTX

3= The 3800HD is a 2900HD basically but made with a 55nm process!

4= It will certainly be priced right with Revival at $200, and Gladiator at $250 (possible prices, names may have changed).

With such a small tech (55nm) these things could potentially overclock to unknown levels of power! Don't write these cards off soo soon people, there is great potential here to not only beat out the 8800GT but the GTX as well in raw power. Remember that the 8800GT is made with 65nm, it will not overclock quite as well (probably). ATI has a real chance of being the performance king by the end of this year.
If that happens, it will be very interesting to see what Nvidia does about it......

Everyone looking to buy a new GPU should at least wait until we have the 3800HD benchmarks in a few short weeks.... If they come out negative, then buy a 8800GT and forget that ATI ever existed, because this will basically kill them =D

Either way, this should be an exciting fight. The price wars will begin soon!

I bet it will be less powerful than the 8800GT. you see the G80 and R600 are totally different architectures and the G80 uses more "raw power" kind of architecture than the R600. I think that the reason why the 8800GT are so powerful is because it has a thing called shader clock for its 112 or 96 shader processor (I cant remeber which one). The RV670 has 320 shader processor, just think if ATI would clock those way higher than the 8800GT, Im guessing but I bet that would make the Rv670 a killer.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 11:06:40 PM

aznstriker92 said:
I bet it will be less powerful than the 8800GT. you see the G80 and R600 are totally different architectures and the G80 uses more "raw power" kind of architecture than the R600.

Damn, you got me sold I want one tomorrie. How does nV get this RAW Power Architecture? Is it an ASIC libary (you'll notice I didn't say library or tomorrow - homer) or a special heat sink fan assembly?

Seriously both have "RAW POWER" just in different areas.
Sure making the SPUs on the R6 series run at 1.5ghz would make it a killer card, but then so would giving the GF8s 320 of it's SPUs instead of 128/112. But give them both, you not only have a 'killer card' you also have a killer heat/power problem.
October 30, 2007 11:26:00 PM

@ ape

A guy I know had a some of them come in to his shop and a few of them had problems. a couple would only use half the ram and i don't mean windows viewing half the ram, I mean they would use half of it.
!