eVGA trade up program

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
I Think I know the answer I would get from eVGA. Just thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with my question.

Over clocking the card.
Does this get checked? Has anyone been denied because of it?

Replacing the stock cooler. (New 8800GT)
Is it possible to replace the stock cooler and then put the original back on before it is sent back? I'm assuming the mounting clips can't be reused, so probably not. Not too mention it's something that more than likely will void the warranty, so would also void the trade in. Long shot, I know. Just thought I'd ask.

I already have thought of trading up, but if this card is a keeper I may just go and replace the stock cooling. Also, if the card can't be overclocked I will at least know to not bother signing up, or make the decision to not overclock for a trade up.

Thanks!

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

Theres no way EVGA can tell if you OC your card, and you can always put the stock cooler back on. Theres no way to know how far you can OC a GPU without already putting on a better cooling design and trying. Use the set-up and OC the hell out of that.

The EVGA warranty covers a card that was overclocked and/or had an after market cooler as long as the PCB, gpu, and other components were not damaged as a result of the modification.

If you were to replace the stock cooler and clock it back to spec as well as meet all the other requirements of the step-up program, your 8800GT should qualify.

Good luck!

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
from the step-up pre-step-up step-down instructions I got from eVGA:

Any missing or broken components belonging to the returned product are subject to a 15% penalty fee based of the MSRP Value of the video card. If the original stock cooling system has been modified or replaced with an After-market cooling solution, it will have to be returned to its original manufacturing condition before sending for warranty. Failure to do so will result in rejection of warranty service and void the product's warranty.

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

Thanks gwolfman!

They seem to be very open minded with this program.

Thanks for the link too.
It looks like the only down side is you have to ship your card to them first, which of course means your computer could be down for a week or so. Otherwise a great program. We'll see in ninety days!

My GT should be here tomorrow. :)

cory1234

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
Does anyone know if the Thermaltake DuOrb will fit on the 8800gt? I have one coming in 3 days. Stuck with no graphics card...stepped up from my 8800gts 320 for free lol.

Im hoping for some fairly decent overclocks with that cooler.