need help installing XP Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently running in
RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize the hard drives?
Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or something? And in a
related question, how can I find what/where those drivers are?

Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I don't
have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup screen, it said to
press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit without setting up, etc, but
none of the buttons on the keyboard did anything so I'm guessing it's
missing the right USB drivers or something. How can I get the keyboard and
mouse to work?

More about need installing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    nikko wrote:
    > I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently
    > running in RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize
    > the hard drives? Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or
    > something? And in a related question, how can I find what/where
    > those drivers are?

    Probably (not necessarily however) - you need the drivers for your
    controller card - iot should have come with them or you can get them from
    the manufacturer's web page.

    > Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I
    > don't have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup
    > screen, it said to press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit
    > without setting up, etc, but none of the buttons on the keyboard did
    > anything so I'm guessing it's missing the right USB drivers or
    > something. How can I get the keyboard and mouse to work?

    Check in the BIOS for "Legacy USB" and enable it. Try different USB ports
    as well. Also make sure (since you got a wireless keybaord - I hate those
    things as most users never get that far away from their machines) that the
    wireless keyboard and it's "base" are "connected".

    Otherwise - borrow one from a friend.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Hi,

    1) Yes, you need to load raid drivers from a floppy by hitting F6 when
    prompted. If you don't have a motherboard disk, then download them from the
    web site of the motherboard manufacturer.

    2) Check the system BIOS for USB mouse/keyboard support. If it doesn't
    exist, you will need to get the corded style in order to proceed with setup.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "nikko" <nothanks@yourmomma.com> wrote in message
    > I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently running in
    > RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize the hard drives?
    > Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or something? And in a
    > related question, how can I find what/where those drivers are?
    >
    > Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I don't
    > have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup screen, it said
    > to press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit without setting up, etc,
    > but none of the buttons on the keyboard did anything so I'm guessing it's
    > missing the right USB drivers or something. How can I get the keyboard
    > and mouse to work?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    nikko wrote:
    > I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently running in
    > RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize the hard drives?
    > Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or something?

    Correct. Very early in the boot process, just after having booted from
    the WinXP CD, the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is
    examining your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
    *manufacturer's* WinXP-specific drivers for your RAID controller
    available on a floppy disk.

    > And in a
    > related question, how can I find what/where those drivers are?

    Consult your RAID controller's manual or the manufacturer's web site.

    > Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I don't
    > have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup screen, it said to
    > press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit without setting up, etc, but
    > none of the buttons on the keyboard did anything so I'm guessing it's
    > missing the right USB drivers or something. How can I get the keyboard and
    > mouse to work?

    You must enable Legacy USB Support (allows rudimentary USB support
    prior to loading Windows and the normal USB device drivers)in the BIOS.
    You may have to borrow (or even purchase a cheap) PS/2 keyboard to use
    during the initial installation.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: