  • Drivers
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 13, 2005 12:04:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently running in
RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize the hard drives?
Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or something? And in a
related question, how can I find what/where those drivers are?

Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I don't
have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup screen, it said to
press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit without setting up, etc, but
none of the buttons on the keyboard did anything so I'm guessing it's
missing the right USB drivers or something. How can I get the keyboard and
mouse to work?

More about : installing pro

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 12:04:53 AM

nikko wrote:
> I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently
> running in RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize
> the hard drives? Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or
> something? And in a related question, how can I find what/where
> those drivers are?

Probably (not necessarily however) - you need the drivers for your
controller card - iot should have come with them or you can get them from
the manufacturer's web page.

> Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I
> don't have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup
> screen, it said to press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit
> without setting up, etc, but none of the buttons on the keyboard did
> anything so I'm guessing it's missing the right USB drivers or
> something. How can I get the keyboard and mouse to work?

Check in the BIOS for "Legacy USB" and enable it. Try different USB ports
as well. Also make sure (since you got a wireless keybaord - I hate those
things as most users never get that far away from their machines) that the
wireless keyboard and it's "base" are "connected".

Otherwise - borrow one from a friend.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

1) Yes, you need to load raid drivers from a floppy by hitting F6 when
prompted. If you don't have a motherboard disk, then download them from the
web site of the motherboard manufacturer.

2) Check the system BIOS for USB mouse/keyboard support. If it doesn't
exist, you will need to get the corded style in order to proceed with setup.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"nikko" <nothanks@yourmomma.com> wrote in message
> I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently running in
> RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize the hard drives?
> Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or something? And in a
> related question, how can I find what/where those drivers are?
>
> Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I don't
> have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup screen, it said
> to press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit without setting up, etc,
> but none of the buttons on the keyboard did anything so I'm guessing it's
> missing the right USB drivers or something. How can I get the keyboard
> and mouse to work?

a b \ Driver
July 13, 2005 12:04:53 AM

nikko wrote:
> I'm attempting to install XP Pro on a machine that is currently running in
> RAID 0. When installing XP, how do I get it to recognize the hard drives?
> Do I need to put the RAID drivers on a floppy or something?

Correct. Very early in the boot process, just after having booted from
the WinXP CD, the screen will display the words to the effect: "Setup is
examining your system." Press <F6> when this happens, and have the
*manufacturer's* WinXP-specific drivers for your RAID controller
available on a floppy disk.

> And in a
> related question, how can I find what/where those drivers are?

Consult your RAID controller's manual or the manufacturer's web site.

> Also, the machine has a cordless keyboard and mouse (both USB). I don't
> have access to corded versions. When I got to the setup screen, it said to
> press Enter to continue with setup, F3 to exit without setting up, etc, but
> none of the buttons on the keyboard did anything so I'm guessing it's
> missing the right USB drivers or something. How can I get the keyboard and
> mouse to work?

You must enable Legacy USB Support (allows rudimentary USB support
prior to loading Windows and the normal USB device drivers)in the BIOS.
You may have to borrow (or even purchase a cheap) PS/2 keyboard to use
during the initial installation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: