Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I can't make up my mind, 8800 GTX or GT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 30, 2007 10:37:26 PM

Hello everyone. For the last five months I have been sold on the 8800 GTX saving up the money and now the scales have flipped upside down in reguards to the 8800GT. The only reason I think to keep with the plan is the extra Vram 768MB instead of 512MB. I know that with DX10 games they will eat up lots of Vram if not now in the not so distant future, call it future proofing if you will.

I game at 1280x1020 (4 dead pixels) but in the next six months that will change to 20-22" LCD. I'm thinking ahead hear so I won't be sorry later. Then theres the 8800GT with almost the same performance as the 8800 GTX and at 1280x1024 it won't matter until a few months from now. I want to buy a new graphics card and not have to look back at something better down the road, because I want the top-end product. Right now it seems hopeless to keep a top-end product for more than a few months. :wahoo: 

I don't know if I'm sorry the 8800GT came out or not, if I get the 8800GT now and then Nvidia comes out with the refresh of the 8800 GTS then I'll pull all my hair out and look like Columbo. What do you guys think would be best move after seeing all the 8800GT reviews? Cause I have lost my compass on this one. :pt1cable: 

More about : make mind 8800 gtx

October 30, 2007 10:47:52 PM

Why anyone would waste their hard earned money on a GTX now that the GT is nearly just as powerful for half the price is beyond me =D
For the price of 1 GTX, you could get 2 GT's and sli them, yet even just 1 GT is almost as powerful as a GTX.


I feel sorry for everyone who recently purchases a GTX lol! =0
October 30, 2007 10:52:23 PM

Ditto.

I just ordered a GT for my 22" Samsung. Just check out the reviews. Looks like it should do just fine at 1680X1050. I think the GTX really only pulled out in the case of very large resolutions. I would go with 2 GT's in SLI before I got a GTX as well.
Related resources
October 30, 2007 11:04:36 PM

gamebro said:
Why anyone would waste their hard earned money on a GTX now that the GT is nearly just as powerful for half the price is beyond me =D
For the price of 1 GTX, you could get 2 GT's and sli them, yet even just 1 GT is almost as powerful as a GTX.


I feel sorry for everyone who recently purchases a GTX lol! =0

lol... I have a GTX and loves how it still performs BETTER then any card out there cept for Ultra. I'm gonna put them in SLI in a few months. SLI GTs is better then 1 8800GTX yes. notice the word SLI. and it's not half the price either a decent brand 8800GTX is $520 the cheapest in stock GT is $270 a decent brand is $290.
October 30, 2007 11:06:42 PM

I think alot of Guru's (including me) were counting on a high end graphics card aka 8900/9800 GTX. If I was building a new PC I would get a EVGA SLI mobo, but thats not the case. The only reason I won't buy a SLI mobo is my awesome OC. It so easy to recommend hardware to others, but when its your turn to make that move yourself its not the same or is it?

Please more suggestions.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 11:16:52 PM

I can understand after a year wanting a new killer high end card to replace the 8800GTX; we all do. But the 8800GT would be a great upgrade for you. I agree don't go with the GTX now. I'll upgrade my 8800GTS 320MB to a GT if/when I can get one for near $200. Otherwise, I'll be waiting for the next real high end next spring.
October 30, 2007 11:20:21 PM

8800 gt... half the price of gtx and very close performance wise. An evaga one can be bought for like $240ish with a copy of quake wars.
a b U Graphics card
October 30, 2007 11:23:36 PM

well, I bought a GTX a couple weeks ago. But I bought it from a Dell employee for $400 so I'm not going to second guess myself.

I'm of the mind that generally, it's better to buy a single great card than to try and SLI/Xfire 2 lower cards, but the 8800GT is pretty tempting. You'll need an SLI mobo, generally more power, more cabling and better cooling to run SLI. If you already have all that, and given the fantastic pricing of the 880GTs, I'd say go ahead. It's a good deal and you won't go wrong.
October 30, 2007 11:28:59 PM

Buy an 8800GT from EVGA. Their step up program allows you to upgrade to a different model just by paying the difference.
http://evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=3

Buy an 8800GT, if within three months time, you feel it's not enough, step up to a GTX. Three months time could possibly bring lower GTX prices along with other 65nm gpu's.
October 31, 2007 1:17:45 AM

systemlord said:
Hello everyone. For the last five months I have been sold on the 8800 GTX saving up the money and now the scales have flipped upside down in reguards to the 8800GT. The only reason I think to keep with the plan is the extra Vram 768MB instead of 512MB. I know that with DX10 games they will eat up lots of Vram if not now in the not so distant future, call it future proofing if you will.

I game at 1280x1020 (4 dead pixels) but in the next six months that will change to 20-22" LCD. I'm thinking ahead hear so I won't be sorry later. Then theres the 8800GT with almost the same performance as the 8800 GTX and at 1280x1024 it won't matter until a few months from now. I want to buy a new graphics card and not have to look back at something better down the road, because I want the top-end product. Right now it seems hopeless to keep a top-end product for more than a few months. :wahoo: 

I don't know if I'm sorry the 8800GT came out or not, if I get the 8800GT now and then Nvidia comes out with the refresh of the 8800 GTS then I'll pull all my hair out and look like Columbo. What do you guys think would be best move after seeing all the 8800GT reviews? Cause I have lost my compass on this one. :pt1cable: 


If you are planning only to buy one card it would be foolish to buy the GTX. The GT has such a good value... would you buy a top model stereo from a company that offered one nearly as good for half the price? the difference in FPS is too small to really matter unless you are playing at a super high resolution.
October 31, 2007 1:53:09 AM

gamebro said:
Why anyone would waste their hard earned money on a GTX now that the GT is nearly just as powerful for half the price is beyond me =D
For the price of 1 GTX, you could get 2 GT's and sli them, yet even just 1 GT is almost as powerful as a GTX.


I feel sorry for everyone who recently purchases a GTX lol! =0

It doesn't look almost as fast at 1920x1200 with 4xAA; heck, two of them wouldn't be as fast as an 8800GTX. Granted, the 8800GTX wouldn't be exactly playable but it's almost 3x as fast in this situation.
October 31, 2007 2:13:45 AM

I say wait a few weeks until the dust settles, the 8800GT is bound to shake a bit the prices on the 8800GTS and GTX, if the GTX is re-priced properly then it might not be such a bad buy. If you need it now, the SLI GT or single GT, whichever you prefer.
October 31, 2007 3:01:45 AM

who the fu** would wanna play at 1920x1440 anyway, its just ridiculous. This isnt a game meant to be played like a theatre so fast yet. Give it a few more years. 1600x1200 is already very high and playable by both cards. Myself i play at 1280x1024 or my native which is 1440x900 so its gonna be a very nice experience.
October 31, 2007 3:41:32 AM

The FPS difference seems negligible at the lower resolutions for both the 8800GT and 8800GTX. I'm probably going to end up purchasing an 8800GT.

I like the look of the new eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT SSC 512MB: http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P3-N80...

Looks as though they have released [EDIT: Soon to be released] 4 flavours of the 8800GT:
http://www.evga.com/articles/378.asp

As long as whatever card I get can handle dx10 games at a half-way decent frame rate for resolutions around 1024x768 and a bit above, then I'd be happy to settle for an 8800GT. I'm trying to build a system that will have a fair amount of upgradability. O/C a C2D 6750 to 3ghz, 2gb 800mhz ddr2 and eVGA 680i SLI A1. When the prices of quad cores come down a bit more then I will be able to upgrade and have a go at O/Cing them (live in Australia so hardware is often more expensive than the US).
October 31, 2007 4:18:01 AM

elite2005 said:
who the fu** would wanna play at 1920x1440 anyway, its just ridiculous. This isnt a game meant to be played like a theatre so fast yet. Give it a few more years. 1600x1200 is already very high and playable by both cards. Myself i play at 1280x1024 or my native which is 1440x900 so its gonna be a very nice experience.


I agree on this, Crysis seems only playable at full graphics setting (all high setting) at 1280x1024 with the 8800GT/GTX. I am starting to lean to the 8800GT, its better to blow $300 on a card if you plan to upgrade whenever the 8900/9800 GTX does come out instead of $600 which is what I plan to do.
October 31, 2007 4:22:58 AM

i was thinking of doing 8800gt sli but im probably be playing at 1600x1200 anyway i only have a mid tower case and cooling is already an issue with my 8500gt so sli 8800 gt would be even worse
October 31, 2007 6:18:15 AM

Well I have decided to go with the 8800GT 512MB EVGA core 700Mhz/shader 1750Mhz/memory 2000Mhz. Now I can get both the SilverStone TJ09 and the 8800GT for the same price as one 8800 GTX. I am happy that the 8800GT came out when it did, just days before I was supposed to buy the 8800 GTX. What timing hay! :D 
October 31, 2007 7:20:23 AM

You should be quite happy with that card. Others here state that in the highest resolution that the GTX wins.... Sure it wins.... If you call 18FPS winning lol... It is just about as good as a GTX in every other setting, not to mention it has good overclocking potential. The one you are buying is overclocked to a point that it might outperform any GTX running at stock speeds =D

8800GT is the only reasonable choice right now (and will be until the 3800HD's from ATI).

GAME ON!
October 31, 2007 7:32:09 AM

gamebro said:
You should be quite happy with that card. Others here state that in the highest resolution that the GTX wins.... Sure it wins.... If you call 18FPS winning lol... It is just about as good as a GTX in every other setting, not to mention it has good overclocking potential. The one you are buying is overclocked to a point that it might outperform any GTX running at stock speeds =D

8800GT is the only reasonable choice right now (and will be until the 3800HD's from ATI).

GAME ON!


At 1280x1024 or 1680x1050 the GTX is not the best bang for your buck, its the worst bang for my buck. I won't be playing at 1920x1200 anytime soon.
a c 169 U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 7:47:35 AM

for your resolution , a 8800GT will perform very close to a 8800GTX, so go for it :D  AND ENJOY
October 31, 2007 9:01:24 AM

Isn't it better to wait untill you change your LCD?

The 7800GTX is still good enough to play at 1280x1020, or am I wrong?

By the time you change your LCD there will be even better cards (maybe the new to off the line nivdia?)

If you want to play now, go for the 8800GT
October 31, 2007 9:45:49 AM

ramo said:
The 7800GTX is still good enough to play at 1280x1020, or am I wrong?


My 7800 GTX is three generations old and it is starting to show signs that.... Oblivion came out a 1.5 years ago and my 7800 GTX was under powered for even that game. It served me for two hole years and thats a long time for a graphics card. Checkout Tom's VGA charts and see how weak it really is.
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 9:52:40 AM

Dont forget the promise of nVidia of being able to oc the shaders with the to come gforce drivers/control panel
October 31, 2007 10:57:03 AM

WHAA, i just have ordered mine 8800GTX i play at 1680x1050!!, here in the UK price differs, the OC 8800GTX costed me £230($450)(including postage) whilst the 8800GT the cheapest one i have seen is around £170($330), the different is only 60 pounds so i thaught i might as well get the GTX, Please tell me if am wrong so i can still cancel the order!!!!
October 31, 2007 11:04:25 AM

elite2005 said:
who the fu** would wanna play at 1920x1440 anyway, its just ridiculous. This isnt a game meant to be played like a theatre so fast yet. Give it a few more years. 1600x1200 is already very high and playable by both cards. Myself i play at 1280x1024 or my native which is 1440x900 so its gonna be a very nice experience.


I totally disagree with you on this. I play all my games at 1080p (1920 x 1080) on a 61" samsung dlp and this will blow away playing on a 20" monitor. I have friends come over and they say that it looks amazing. I show them the difference when I switch back to the 20" widescreen monitor and it is no comparison. I have to ask you, have you ever gamed with a large screen at these high resolutions? For me I need a card with alot of ram. Question is sli with two 8800gt or wait a few weeks for some new releases.
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 11:04:31 AM

Id go for the GT, the only difference is slight except the price, and drivers will help this card as well, not to mention ocing bringing close or at GTX capability. Improvement from drivers will be somewhat noticable, but mainly itll be stability youll see
October 31, 2007 11:10:41 AM

soo are you saying GT is a better card? or just for the value?
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 11:21:25 AM

I will be back in the U.S in December, not quite soon enough for GT prices to settle down. Also going back in March for a family reunion. By then, eVGA GT SLI? Oh, yes.
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 11:24:42 AM

Im saying value. From everything Ive seen, its so close to the GTX, the least someone SHOULD do is wait for more GT's to arrive, and see how it effects the GTX pricing. Unless youre running a high res, its a no brainer, the GT is best bang for buck, as its so close to best bang as well
October 31, 2007 11:37:20 AM

I would either go with 2 GT's in sli or just wait for the 8900 cards to come out. It happens every freaking time nvidia comes out with a great product and takes everyones money and just when they think they are getting good performance games get super demanding and nvidia pushes out its x900 series of cards which are loads better than the x800 series. Who knows, with the way things are going they might just skip that step and go right to geforce 9 since ati is already moving to its hd 3000 series
October 31, 2007 12:16:26 PM

Heyyou27 said:
It doesn't look almost as fast at 1920x1200 with 4xAA; heck, two of them wouldn't be as fast as an 8800GTX. Granted, the 8800GTX wouldn't be exactly playable but it's almost 3x as fast in this situation.


From the looks of things, the 4xAA is causing the GT to be memory (capacity or bandwidth) limited... SLI would remove that bottleneck.

And secondly, apart from bragging rights, what's the point in 4xAA at 1920x1200?
October 31, 2007 12:26:08 PM

Unless you have a specific reason such as an insanely high resolution, GT... definitely GT.
October 31, 2007 12:34:45 PM

killer_roach said:
From the looks of things, the 4xAA is causing the GT to be memory (capacity or bandwidth) limited... SLI would remove that bottleneck.

And secondly, apart from bragging rights, what's the point in 4xAA at 1920x1200?
SLI does not add memory so it's unlikely you'd see a huge improvement; according to members of inCrysis, at 1920x1200 with 4xAA Crysis uses more than 512MB of video memory. This benchmark is simply proof that the 8800GT is not always able to keep up with the 8800GTX. That's not to say it isn't a good card, in fact for the price it's by far the best money can buy in most situations.
October 31, 2007 12:56:19 PM

Actually, it would... but, from rereading how SLI works, it wouldn't remove the bottleneck, you'd just have two bottlenecked cards.
October 31, 2007 1:06:26 PM

killer_roach said:
And secondly, apart from bragging rights, what's the point in 4xAA at 1920x1200?


Personally I can see the difference between 4xAA and 2xAA at 1920x1200 - in fact, this is my preferred gaming resolution.
October 31, 2007 1:38:21 PM

killer_roach said:
Actually, it would... but, from rereading how SLI works, it wouldn't remove the bottleneck, you'd just have two bottlenecked cards.
Running two 512MB videocards would still only give you 512MB of usable memory; sure you'd have more memory bandwidth, but when the game is already using around 512MB of memory on high quality textures, there's no room for antialiasing. Very High would only make things worse, and some people are expecting to use 8800GTs in SLI to play at the "maximum" quality. Hardware simply doesn't exist at this point in time to really run Crysis at the maximum. :( 
October 31, 2007 2:22:52 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Dont forget the promise of nVidia of being able to oc the shaders with the to come gforce drivers/control panel


Just use Rivatuner to do that, it allows for independent shader OC'ing.
October 31, 2007 2:53:44 PM

i play at 1600x1200 because i have a 21" screen. i play at 1600x1200 because it reduces the need for AA. the point of higher resolutions is to make it so that you "don't see pixels" as it were. the pixels are small enough to fool the eye.

back in 1996 when playing Quake 1 at 640x480 was high res, you could still see pixels. easily. now i play at high res, and am ready to move to 2560x1600 [given the money]. i do it because it looks better. because it helps remove the screen from my gaming experience. i get to look at the world created by the video game, and not its pixel representation on screen, if you will. call it hokey, but isn't that why we play?

besides, at 2560x1600, you get to choose exactly which part of someone's skull is going to receive your bullet from 600m away. as opposed to choosing exactly which pixel you're hoping contains the outline of your enemy's head.
October 31, 2007 2:58:19 PM

dostanio said:
soo are you saying GT is a better card? or just for the value?


The 8800GT is better any way you slice it, the GTX only has a very small difference in frame rates at any resolution in Crysis. Don't make me give you the links, cause there right here at Tom's Hardware.
October 31, 2007 3:24:18 PM

Concerning the memory, I know I read in several places where there might be a 1Gig version of the 8800GT
from 3rd party manufacturers, but that it wouldn't be supported by nvidia.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 3:53:02 PM

emp said:
I say wait a few weeks until the dust settles, the 8800GT is bound to shake a bit the prices on the 8800GTS and GTX, if the GTX is re-priced properly then it might not be such a bad buy. If you need it now, the SLI GT or single GT, whichever you prefer.


Are you serious? You have no idea how nice crysis looks at max settings in 1080p...It is ridiculous.
October 31, 2007 6:53:30 PM

DeAtHrApToR said:
Concerning the memory, I know I read in several places where there might be a 1Gig version of the 8800GT
from 3rd party manufacturers, but that it wouldn't be supported by nvidia.


And if its not supported by Nvidia then any bug that pop up they wont fix.
a c 143 U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 7:58:55 PM

Just a quick thought: if you get the TJ09 add the 3 optional fans too, whenever you can. The 8800 GT can use a little additional cooling. I used Scythe SFF21E in my TJ09 and I left the two original Silverstone fans in there too. It's very quiet. :love: 
October 31, 2007 8:01:26 PM

elite2005 said:
who the fu** would wanna play at 1920x1440 anyway, its just ridiculous. This isnt a game meant to be played like a theatre so fast yet. Give it a few more years. 1600x1200 is already very high and playable by both cards. Myself i play at 1280x1024 or my native which is 1440x900 so its gonna be a very nice experience.
:non: 

Uh, its called true hi def, I've had 2 GTX's since Dec. last year and their still the way to go with 1920x1080 and higher. The GT just can't cut there regardless. Overclock two GTX's adds a whole new meaning to playing like it should.
October 31, 2007 8:46:58 PM

aevm said:
Just a quick thought: if you get the TJ09 add the 3 optional fans too, whenever you can. The 8800 GT can use a little additional cooling. I used Scythe SFF21E in my TJ09 and I left the two original Silverstone fans in there too. It's very quiet. :love: 


I'm either going to buy 4 Scythe fans or SilentX for very quiet computer. I already have one SilentX fan their fastest one, all I hear is the air being pushed with NO fan noise.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 5:01:27 AM

Eviltwin17 said:
Who knows, with the way things are going they might just skip that step and go right to geforce 9 since ati is already moving to its hd 3000 series


ATI is "already" moving to the HD3000 series because its 2000 series cards (although arriving 6 months late to market) are not competitive. Right now, nVidia has no need to move to their 9000 series cards. The 8800's pretty much own the upper end of the market.
November 1, 2007 7:05:32 AM

dostanio said:
WHAA, i just have ordered mine 8800GTX i play at 1680x1050!!, here in the UK price differs, the OC 8800GTX costed me £230($450)(including postage) whilst the 8800GT the cheapest one i have seen is around £170($330), the different is only 60 pounds so i thaught i might as well get the GTX, Please tell me if am wrong so i can still cancel the order!!!!


The 8800 GTX is only slightly faster than the 8800GT, but not by that much. Check out the 8800GT review at Andantech they'll show you how close the 8800GT is to the GTX. Do you want to spend $600 for a card, or $300 for a card that is so close in performance you might not see the difference.

I have heard OC's from the stock 600MHz all the way to 740MHz on the 8800GT (G92).
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 8:15:48 AM

I also bought a GTX a few weeks ago, but it was after I was refunded on a mildly artifacting 7900GTO (11 months old :)  ), so I'm not unhappy, but a GT would have saved me most of what I had to shell out.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2007 10:45:50 AM

emp said:
Just use Rivatuner to do that, it allows for independent shader OC'ing.

Yeah I know, its just good seeing nVidia moving in this direction. Call it a pleasent surprise
November 1, 2007 11:24:44 AM

warezme said:
:non: 

Uh, its called true hi def, I've had 2 GTX's since Dec. last year and their still the way to go with 1920x1080 and higher. The GT just can't cut there regardless. Overclock two GTX's adds a whole new meaning to playing like it should.


You are correct warezme. Once one plays games at HD on a large screen they will never go back to anything else.
!