Spince

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
well.. i guess i'm not a total newb but i'm a newb compared to most of you guys? lol. anyways! this'll be my first system built by myself. information: i don't really have a budget, as long as it's not some overly ridiculous amount. i'm a very very cheap person.

i play games, whatever my current computer can handle anyways... i use photoshop a lot and plan to use C4D (my current computer can't handle it.. *sigh*). i do realize that i don't require quad core, dual core is fine but i thought.. why not?

- Intel Quad core Q6700 (i want to get this because it's cheap, then maybe OC it for better performance, but i don't know how to OC so... QX6700? it's expensive...)
- Asus Striker Extreme
- Crucial BallistiX 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB). i need a lot of help on this one, i can't decide which ones to get.
- case: coolermaster stacker 830
- PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 650W Power Supply w/ Triple +12V
- HD 1: 2 of Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache set at raid 0
- HD 2: maybe a 750GB HD, like i said.. i'm very very cheap. i'm tempted to just wipe my OS off this HD and use the other 80GB i have.
- eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out (i was going to go for SLI, but i don't play enough games to actually need to go that hardcore and also i wanted to set up dual monitors and since SLI doesn't support that soo bye bye SLI)

that is it, hope you guys have some great input for me.. thanks in advance.
oh, and Memory Express (www.memoryexpress.com) ftw!

tlmck

Distinguished
You are very cheap yet you pick some of the most expensive components?

If you are not going SLi, then I would scrap the Striker and save some money. A P35 based board from ASUS or Gigabyte would be a better bet. The various price levels have to do with feature sets rather than quality, so pick the board that has the features you want/need. No since paying for Wifi or 8 SATA ports if you are not going to ever use them.

Personally, the Raptors are not worth the price and heat problems for me. I would get two standard WD 160gb, or even Seagate 7200.10's for Raid 0. You can then get a like a 500gb 7200.10 drive for storage.

The Crucial Ballistix is great on ASUS boards, but can be finicky on Gigabyte. I would opt for Corsair XMS2, or OCZ Platinum rev. 2 on the Gigabyte.

The rest should be fine.

Q6700 , cheap ?!! i think u meant Q6600
however it looks fine , but i recommend u OCZ 600-700 PSU or Corsair 620
also instead of STRIKER EXTREME go for P5N32-E SLI PLUS and save some money , it has the same features, (asus striker is expensive because it has some extra features like LCD POSTER....)
For RAM, go for DDR2 800(brands like OCZ,CRUCIAL,CORSAIR) DDR2 800 with good timings like 4-4-4-15 or
4-4-4-12

Spince

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007

well, even being cheap. i still want quality goods. expensive as it might be. a good investment is better than a bad one. i value performance than the price, but the price has to be within good reason.

Q6700 , cheap ?!! i think u meant Q6600
the reason i chose the Q6700 is because it's average of all the quad cores, it's not the lowest and it's not the highest.