What should I upgrade? What to start light pc gaming.

ashblk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Alrighty I asked this question in the video card section and I didn't give all the necessary information and as I result I didn't get the proper answer I thought I needed.

I want to start light pc gaming and a overall faster pc.

I have a amd x2 3800 (90watt) windsor, tforce 6100 am2 motherboard (which I heard is crappy), 430 watt power supply by rosewell, integrated 6100 graphics, 2 gigs 800 ddr2 ram and a 320 gig hard drive (7200)

All this is hooked up to my 2 year old dell 19 inch flat panel monitor.

Now I would like a somewhat faster computer so I was thinking of upgrading to a 5000 black edition, also I was thinking of a mild video card for basic gaming, since my resolution on my monitor is a max 1280by1024 maybe I don't need a really expensive video card for gaming....

What should I upgrade? Keep in mind I don't want to spend alot of money on this. PSU, Processor or add in a video card?

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
It depends on how much the cards cost were you buy them, but I've bought an Calibre P860 8600 GT OC video card by Sparkle with 512mb ram.
It was only about $10 dollars more than the stock model.
It'l do for me, I'm only a light gamer my self.
I run Prey at the moment with a standard AGP 6600 in an older system and I'm happy with that so I'll be very happy with the update in my new machine.
AMD X2 6000+

tlmck

Distinguished
Your current system will be fine as long as you do not go above the 8600. Any more card and you would likely need a PSU upgrade. Rosewills are fine for basic systems, but definitely not for higher end gaming rigs. Your CPU is still fairly decent for gaming.

You might have to turn the settings down on some games, but you should still get 1280x1024 no problem.

ashblk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Okay thanks, I'll probably pick up a 8600gt this friday. Also, my motherboard has a overclocking engine in it as is, I can get to 2.4ghz (that's the highest it will go).

With this I need to pick up a cooler, my stock fan sounds like it's gonna pass out at that speed.

Here is my motherboard...

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1966&page=5

thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I'll pick up a 8600gt, if you have a better requirement please let me know.

tlmck

Distinguished
Looks like any of the overclocking type coolers would be a tight fit on that board due to the capacitor row on the top end of the socket. The only thing I can think to try is a Coolermaster X-dream if you can find one. They are not really for overclock, but they are the same size as the stock AMD cooler. They are quieter and do about 5-7c cooler than stock.

Depending on your case, one like this may fit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103031