Best gaming mouse?

Clortho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Just a general question as to what is the best gaming mouse to buy?

I currently have an mx510 and have been looking at the g5 g7 g9 and mx1000. Been looking at all the reviews, but cant seem to find any articles that compare them all. Also what about other brands, are they any good?

Mostly play FPS so it would need to be a smooth mover and have lots of programmable buttons. Any help and advice on this would be appreciated.

siriyu

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
theyre was a test somewhere with the MX518 and G5
where the MX 518 came out as best mouse

so i am buying that one .. :)

cheaper to hehe

greetz

SiriusStarr

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
Look no further than Razer. I have the Razer Copperhead and I absolutely love it. Razer by far makes the best gaming peripherals. Plus, they're soon releasing a new mouse, the Lachesis. Now I have to justify spending the money for a new one... :)

One word of warning, though. If you're one of those people who likes hand mice (think Logitech) over finger mice, don't get a Razer. Razer's are for true gamers who want the added speed and precision granted by finger mice. Some people find finger mice uncomfortable, but I prefer my Razer to my Logitech even for desktop applications.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
sorry, but based on reviews Loitech beats out Razer, but in either case I say go with wither the G5 or the G7 because I have used those and a MX518s for a while and I liked how the G series was laser and allowed me to play without jumpiness on any surface

siriyu

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
as a reply on siriysstarr

razor's mice are nice and they are fast etc
the only problem they also have is that the materials are to delicate
they tend to brake easy - logitech mice don't

they are equally fast atleast

so i am staying with logi ;)

temerut

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Go 4 G5 or G7. I have a G5 and i love it. It's very resistant. Survived after trowing it couple of times at the wall and still works great!
Cheers m8!

deesal

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
How big are your hands? I have a Razor Copperhead, mx518, saitek gm3200 and a G5. I have large hands and the Razor is really uncomfortable for me, but it is a really good mouse. The gm3200 is bigger and is good, but I can't seem to get away from my G5. I had a G7 but took it back for my G5. I was having interference from something, plus I hate wireless mice for gaming. Logitech has the G9 that is up to 3200dpi, but it is pretty expensive. It does have some nice features like a switchable body. One for finger type control, and a wider one for palm. Hope that helps a little. :sol:

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
FWIW, I've never read a good review on wireless gaming mice. They often have problems with interference, etc. and why pay extra?

I have a G5 and love it. It floats well, has adjustable weight and is super accurate without jumping. Changing dpi works perfect and is adjustable up to like 3000 dpi using the included software. However, there aren't a lot of extra buttons. The extra thumb button is the only extra over a standard mouse. Mine has the wacky tilting scroll button that isn't recognized even by logitech's software.

I've tried a razer and a wolf king besides and strongly dislike either one. Neither was comfortable (I've got beefy hands) and the wolf king wasn't nearly as accurate.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
right, i go through mouse like fire throu Vietnam (using napalm). ive used the G5 and various Razors. but the best yet ive used is from good o'l bill. it actually Razors new mouse the but the HAbu has been re branded by Microsoft. it really replaces the deathadder and diamond back. it is very precise looks ace, there arnt many out yet so you would like like a drone with it. its comfortable and i have quite big hands

the things not to go for are anything wireless, they are more trouble than they are worth. i think you should avoid them unless its HTPC your after. and (excluding sound card as they are bliss) stay away from anything fatal1ty branded, he maybe good at quake but he just stuck his name to the profits

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Personally id go with the G5 or G9 ... i own a G5 and love it and have been thinking about buying a G9 although im going to wait and see if they have a 2nd revision or update as with the early G5's they had mouse wheel click issues (mine seems to be effected with this and is my only complaint with it) but they resolved in the revision. G7 is wireless and would touch it as far as i can throw it. Havent had much experience with Razor although from what ive tried and heard they are smaller and can be more uncomfortable than the logitechs.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
i have had a G5 for the past year and i absolutely love it. my only beef with it was the lack of two side buttons and low and behold, the refresh earlier this year solved that problem, it is literally the mouse God would use if He was a gamer...but he prefers yahtzee, go figure.

I recently was gifted a G9 and i dont like it nearly as much. while it is a bit more wide than the 5 it is much shorter...by much i mean a little but when it comes to your palm it feels like a mile. i will admit that it took me a few weeks to get used to the G5 so i will give my G9 a fair shake but as of now, i absolutely hate it out of the box. the wide grip is too slippery for my marathon sessions and the dry-grip precision grip is a little too narrow for me. i dont like how you have to take the grip off to access the weights and i dont like that its only 4 slots for the weights unlike the G5 that has 9 slots so you can weight it progressively forward or back (or down the middle as i do).

oh and i can't stand razor's...the dont fit the hand well, i dont like the weak, cheap feel of the mouse buttons and they are asthetically ugly to me.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
A mouse is a mouse is a mouse....I still pwn with my standard Microsoft comfort mouse. No need for fancy gimmicks, know your keyboard.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I love my Razer Diamondback and have a Lachesis pre-ordered, couple it with the Razer eXactmat and eXact rest and you'll have an awesome (if somewhat oversized) combination :)

tomfool

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I play Half Life 2 Deathmatch and Counterstrike among other games. I'm consistently in the top 300 out of 15k players and when I play a lot I'll be in the top 100 or better. The guys I know who are always better than me mostly use the MX518 as do I. I am currently usint the Razer DeathAdder as my 518 is on its way to Logitech for warranty repair. I like them both but the 518 is better. No matter how much I fiddle with the adjustments I still cant get The Razer to perform as well as the 518.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Really in the end it all comes down to personal preference... like someone said above, if you use your fingers for control, grab a Razer Lachesis when it comes out (4000 dpi with 1ms response time is pretty amazing), although if you control more with your palm, a Logitech is the better option. Regardless of what everyones preference is, everyone agrees that wireless is bad

Seikent

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
it is up to you, if you don't want to spend time to get used to it or have a big hand -> G5
Razer mouses are smaller and delicate, if you've a hand for them and you are 'careful', then these are pretty good too.

I like my G5 enough that I bought a second one. Contrary to what KekaiGenkai posted, I had no trouble setting the tilting scroll wheel to "Target Next" and "Target Previous" just for Guild Wars, as opposed to "Forward" and "Back" when browsing. This is, for me, its best feature. I tried a Razer, and found the side buttons way too awkward for this use.

Gryphyn

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

I used to think this was the truth, until I purchased a G5 v2. It took a bit of tinkering to get the weights right, but once I did, my game improved dramatically. I am a finger mouse person, and previously used a lightweight logitech mouse, but found that a slightly heavier weight balance on the G5 improved my accuracy, and helped cut down on twitch movements when someone popped out at me.

There is something about having a mouse weighted properly to match your hand/finger strength so when your brain says 'point it here' your hand does it perfectly. Headshot after headshot.

When I have a heavy gaming session over a weekend, it is hard to go back to my crappy mouse at work...it just isn't accurate.

Get a G5. Spend some time trying out different combinations of weight. If it feels light, add just a bit more. If it feels like you're having to 'push' it, and will tire out your wrist, take a bit out. When you get it perfect, you'll know, and you won't go back to anything else.

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I love the MX 518 however the newest mouse from Logitech the G9 is supposed to be absolutely amazing. The G5 is also a good mouse, however i prefer my MX 518

Clortho

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Thanks for all the input guys. I have to say "wow" i was only expecting a few replies! Think i'll stick with a wired mouse rather than wireless, but when is the lachesis coming out? If it's not too long i might hold out for some reviews on that before making my decision. Thanks again! :D

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

Microsoft Habu or Razer DeathAdder

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
I'm getting rather fond of my Creative Fatal1ty 20200 lazer mouse (up to 2700 dpi! in tests.. works both finger and palming (in my hands) Includes added weights..
Nickle Knackers

Ironnads

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Nice 3d image of the new logitech here..

www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/3053&cl=us,en

The latest I read is that the original optical mice are actually superior to the lazer versions in many respects - We're seeing a return to optical gaming mice (or mouses) now..
Iron Nads