Need help in building a computer plz

siper

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Hi every 1, i am purchasing a new computer and i just wanna know if this build is ok,i know it is not the ultimate computer but i cant afford a super computer now :( ,anyway this is my 1st post, i like the site. my new computer built is >>MB Gigabyte Intel 945PL sound only, Gigabyte 8500GT 512MB DDR2 PCI-EXPRESS,2GB RAM Kingstone,250GB SATA HDD,3.2GHz 2MB cache intel Procesoor Pentium 4.

thats all plz till me if there is better at the same range of money, some friends told me that this video card is not that good, i am so confused, need help...

thank you for your concern

tlmck

Distinguished
It would be nice to know what programs, OS, etc... you plan to run. With the exception of the video card, you are basically building a 4ish year old system.

If you let me know the software needed, along with a budget, I'll see if I can do better. I am pretty good at cheap PC's.

siper

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
i will run OS windows Xp and may be vista later,and some of the programs are visual studio as i am a developer. and aloooooot of games,i am a very big gamer,i want to run all game, i wish u can help me, i can increase my budget a little if that will help, like i can get pentium D processor or 7600GT 256MB video card

ty

How about this for approx. $700.00:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2,67GHz

DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL5 2x1GB (Try getting a brand name like corsair)

X1950Pro 256MB/512MB

Antec Sonata III (Has earthwatt 500w with 4 esata and 80+)

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ 16MB 500GB

G

I would suggest the E6750 CPU, do not get a P4 or a Pentium D. They are obsolete technology and you can get better performance for cheaper with a Core 2 Duo.

I would also suggest the x1950pro. Its a champ running any of today's games and would blow that 8500GTS out of the water.

After reading that article today on Tom's about Dual Channel and memory speeds and such, I'm feeling that if you use the E6750, you can get by with 2GB (2x1GB) of DDR2-667 memory, especially since it doesn't look like you'll be OCing, I'm betting you wouldn't notice the difference and that can save you some $$$.

I don't trust PSUs that come with cases, so I would reccommend the Centurion case on Newegg, I believe its around $50, and a 500W Thermaltake PSU that's around $60.

The Gigabyte P35-DS3R seems like more mobo than the OP would need as well, I would reccommend just going with the Gigabyte P35-S3. That is around $40-$50 cheaper than teh DS3R. I think its $90.

The OP appears to be on a budget so I wont say get a 500GB HDD. The sweetspot for price/GB appears to be for 320GB HDDs right now. I paid $80 for my 320GB SATA HDD from Seagate, 3200.10 Barracuda drives are great.

Grab XP 32-bit OEM from Newegg then and you should be on your way. Pick up any DVD Burner on Newegg, any Samsung or Lite-On around $30-$40 would be fine. Don't worry if its OEM or Retail as most mobos will come with cables. Make sure you get a SATA drive though, easier to build with and better air flow.

Total cost of that system would be a little over $700 before you buy the OS. Closer to $850 if you have to buy the OS, which I'm not sure if you have already or not.

Also unsure if you'll need a monitor, speakers, keyboard, or mouse. Which would probably drive the cost of the build up over $1000.

Hope that helps.

tlmck

Distinguished

Still need a dollar figure for the budget, but the E6750 systems above are pretty good deals. They could be trimmed quite a bit if need be. The x1950 pro card is excellent, and will run pretty much any game in DX9 mode, unless you have a very large monitor.

tlmck

Distinguished

Normally I would agree with you, but we are talking about Antec here. Their bundled Earthwatts line is more than adequate for a mainstream machine. A high end gaming rig, no.

The quality of Thermaltake PSU's is hit or miss below the $100 price point. Any of their units rated at 80% efficiency or better would suffice for most mainstream systems, and be roughly equivalent to the bundled Earthwatts in quality.

G

I don't disagree with you. I just really do not trust PSUs any am only willing to work with a PSU that I know will not let me down. This is why I pretty much only use Seasonics.