Destroy HD to get new one

gilamran

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Hi,
I've bought a Seagate 750Gb. HD... After few days with it, I understood that Seagate = ****
they have this STIR thing that makes toooo much noise (well, It's for a recording studio...)

anyways, I thought that there's a "nice" way to destroy the HD, so I will go back to the store and say "This is not working, defective... get me a new one, but not Seagate..." ;)

so, what's the best way to do it?

Thanks

vinodg

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Sorry I can't suggest you the wrong way. If you want new drive just buy it don't make any one fool. My friend too do this. He bought a mouse. He worked with for 3 months and he himself broke it and asked for new mouse. This is really bad thing to do.

Thats like saying Im looking for a nice way to rape your wife, steal your car, burn your house down or kick your butt.

Thats an oxymoron statement.

Do as others suggested and sell it. Selling a 750 gig hard drive will be easy.

snow naval

Distinguished
May 18, 2008

ahahaha! :bounce:

Yeah sell it, should be easy enough, depending on who youre targetting & the price.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Hmm funny my 2 Seagate 320gb hard drives do not click/clunk at all. and STIR is not in the list of features, However Cleansweep and Directed Offline Scan diagnostics are listed.

Either way no clicking or clunking coming from my drives.

I have a 1 terrabyte hard drive for DVD backups and its very quiet. I dont even know its there.

Maybe theres something wrong with it if its that loud. Just contact where you bought it and ask for a trade in if you think thats the case. Intentionally selling a defective hard drive to someone is as bad of an idea as your 1st criminal idea.

humalong

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
i don't know why you're all being so hard on him. yes his idea of destroying the drive just to return it is a bad one, but it's not like he stole the thing and then tried to return it. seagate happens to be my fav hard drive brand, but i also believe if a product doesn't perform to your expectations than you have every right to return it. besides, if you bought it at a 'store' like Bestbuy you got ripped off anyways, so you should have no remorse returning it (even if you must damage it to do so)

if you feel inclined to damage it before returning it, i would violently shake the thing while its under full load :kaola: 50% bad sectors should qualify for a refund.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Why would you buy a drive with that feature for a recording studio? And then if you decide it's the wrong product, why not just return it for a refund or exchange? Please explain because it sounds like you screwed up and are making a big deal out of it. Then to make matters worse you're telling everyone you're stupid!

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
How long have you had it? Most places should give you at least 30 days to change your mind, so if you think its too loud, return it and get a different model. Theres no need to destroy the drive. They're trained to try and convince you to keep the drive, but they will accept your return if your not happy. Might I suggest in the future you look into this sort of thing ahead of time, I know if I planned on building something with that specific of a purpose, a little research would be in order.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Like a few have said, you dont have to lie to return the thing. If you are not happy with the product, you can return it, and exchange for something else. You may have to pay a small restocking fee, but its the legal way to do it, and that is worth it.

Just make sure you perform a secure erase on the entire drive first in order to protect any intellectual property that may be on it.

TRENDING THREADS