Question about CPU Upgrade Advice

ironjaw

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I'm planning to upgrade my current processor. I currently have an Athlon X2 64 4600+ running overclocked around 2.6. I'm tempted to to go quadcore and get an Intel board. but as i already have an AMD motherboard, is it worth exploring a higher AMD CPU like the Athlon 64 X2 6400+. or should i scrap it and go intel.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'd wait until 2008 for Intel's nehalem, which may have an on die memory controller. Unless you do alot of video editing, you won't see enough benefit from quad core to spend the $$. I'm still using socket 939; it does everything I need it to do; why waste money?

Mondoman

Splendid
I think o1die's point is that the CPU available to fit the OP's MB is not very much faster than the OP's current CPU, so any substantial increase in performance will mean spending a fair amount of money on a new MB, CPU, and probably RAM etc.

I've seen some posts from people who weren't happy with their quad upgrade. Unless you do alot of multiple applications at the same time, you may not see enough benefit for the $$. I'm waiting for phenom. Hopefully, amd's yields will be high enough to price them competively.

It depends on the video card you have. I have read reviews on this site discussing how two 8800GTX cards in SLI mode basically are twiddling their thumbs some of the time waiting for the CPU to catch up.

From my understanding the top current CPU can't fully utilize these cards to their fullest potential.

BTW, what video card do you have?...

ironjaw

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I have BFG 8800 GTX OC. In theory it shouln't cause a problem. But tried out a friends athlon x2 6400+ Black CPU. And performance increase is very notisable.

It depends on your budget as to making a switch over but I think since new products are on the verge of coming out I would hold off. The least I would do is go with the Black Edition 5000 or 6400 or the 6000 depending on how much money you want to throw around.

The article on the Black Edition 5000 having unlocked clock multiplier and only costing 130.00 is a very attractive low cost alternative to a prequel to a near future upgrade with the new hardware coming out.

If I were you I would probably go with the Black Edition 5000, over clock it and patiently wait for the new stuff. You can over clock this chip to be faster than the 6000. Quite impressive for the money and is a good temporary fix...

My 2♫

Yes you can over clock and will get better performance but it won't be as fast as the chips I listed.

Try over clocking your current CPU and if you're not happy then upgrade. That is the cheaper path so it's worth a try.

ironjaw

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Over clocked the processor like you Suggested. can't get it over 2.6 without stability issues. but even though it's not a major jump. i did get some increase in performance. Are the new AMD processor still due this year. Or have they been pushed to sometime in 2008?