SC4 Rush Hour repeatedly crashes to desktop

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Hi all,
I've been having a problem with Simcity 4 Rush Hour crashing in XP.
I've looked in the event manager, but XP doesn't notice the crash and
does not supply with any information on how to debug this. The game
itself just freezes for about 1 second, and then I'm back to the
desktop - no error messages or blue screens.

This seemed to have been pretty random until recently. Now when I
load one of the cities in my game, the game will always crash within 5
seconds of the city loading. So I'm thinking the game is doing
something that is causing a conflict and then crashing, but I don't
know what.

On the otherhand, some of my other cities work fine and never crash.

Does anybody have any ideas, or at least can tell me how I can get
some sort of error message out of this to track down what's
happenning? Thanks! My system stats are below:

RPM

Pentium 4 2.8Ghz / 512 MB ram
XP Professional
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
SB Live
Latest patch of SC4/RH

"RPM" <rpmrpm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I've been having a problem with Simcity 4 Rush Hour crashing in XP.
> I've looked in the event manager, but XP doesn't notice the crash and
> does not supply with any information on how to debug this. The game
> itself just freezes for about 1 second, and then I'm back to the
> desktop - no error messages or blue screens.
>
> This seemed to have been pretty random until recently. Now when I
> load one of the cities in my game, the game will always crash within 5
> seconds of the city loading. So I'm thinking the game is doing
> something that is causing a conflict and then crashing, but I don't
> know what.
>
> On the otherhand, some of my other cities work fine and never crash.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas, or at least can tell me how I can get
> some sort of error message out of this to track down what's
> happenning? Thanks! My system stats are below:
>
> RPM
>
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz / 512 MB ram
> XP Professional
> ATI Radeon 9600 XT
> SB Live
> Latest patch of SC4/RH

Tried to play it in compatibility mode 98 ? I had much of the same problems
as you when I had my pent 800

when I upgraded to 2,4 with same video card as you - and changed to
compatibility mode - I never had the problem again ? and also running r/h
with updated patches

Boc

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

Have you tried changing from Hardware rendering to Software rendering?

PKH

"Ozboc" <Boc@your_undies_smell.com> wrote in message

> "RPM" <rpmrpm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> > I've been having a problem with Simcity 4 Rush Hour crashing in XP.
> > I've looked in the event manager, but XP doesn't notice the crash and
> > does not supply with any information on how to debug this. The game
> > itself just freezes for about 1 second, and then I'm back to the
> > desktop - no error messages or blue screens.
> >
> > This seemed to have been pretty random until recently. Now when I
> > load one of the cities in my game, the game will always crash within 5
> > seconds of the city loading. So I'm thinking the game is doing
> > something that is causing a conflict and then crashing, but I don't
> > know what.
> >
> > On the otherhand, some of my other cities work fine and never crash.
> >
> > Does anybody have any ideas, or at least can tell me how I can get
> > some sort of error message out of this to track down what's
> > happenning? Thanks! My system stats are below:
> >
> > RPM
> >
> > Pentium 4 2.8Ghz / 512 MB ram
> > XP Professional
> > ATI Radeon 9600 XT
> > SB Live
> > Latest patch of SC4/RH
>
> Tried to play it in compatibility mode 98 ? I had much of the same
problems
> as you when I had my pent 800
>
> when I upgraded to 2,4 with same video card as you - and changed to
> compatibility mode - I never had the problem again ? and also running r/h
> with updated patches
>
> Boc

Archived from groups: alt.games.simcity (More info?)

I tried setting XP to Win 98 compatibility mode but the game won't
load under those conditions - I don't even get the splash screen to
come up, yet the process is still running. I didn't do much more
testing than that.

Also tried moving back the hardware/software acceleration slider
toward "software" - tried for all settings but the problem still
occurred. What does this mean, that it's not an issue with the video
card?

Thanks for the suggestions - Any more?

RPM