External HD for newbie

dash1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
My new PC is mostly for video and photo work and edit.

If I'll add EX HD to transfer projects and such:
Should I connect it through the E Sata for best resolts ?

Should I get one with or without a fan ?

Any specific Models in mind ???

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
eSATA is a good choice for connection from computer to external drive, assuming you have an eSATA port in the computer to use. I'd look for a drive (or external case and separate drive you install yourself) that has BOTH eSATA and USB2. USB2 is so widely used, you can bet that you could take your drive anywhwre and hook it up, although it is a slower interface than eSATA.

I got an AZIO external case from Newegg with eSATA and USB2 interfaces, and designed to accomodate a SATA II HDD unit. I mounted in it (real easy!) a Seagate 500 GB SATA II drive. No cooling fan, and I think the drive temperature is just fine. Case has its own power brick, an on/off switch and indicator light to show drive activity. It is my backup device.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I agree with Paperdoc, I got a Thermaltake Max4 from Newegg that supports both eSATA and USB2. I put in a Seagate SATAII drive and its working great. No cooling fan in my external case either and it doesn't get too warm. I use my unit for file storage. eSATA works at the same speed as a normal hard drive. Just make sure your board supports it. My Thermaltake Max4 came with a computer case slot connection that plugs into one of your onboard SATA connections and then you can plug in the eSATA cable to that and then the Max4, but I don't know how well that option works. My motherboard already has a eSATA controller so I use it. My board even supports RAID 0, 1, & 0+1 if you run two drives off the eSATA controller.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Stoner133 raises a good point about which eSATA connection to use. Many external cases and drives (including my AZIO) come with an adapter plate that plugs into a normal SATA connector on the mobo and gives you an eSATA connector in a slot on the back of the case. The risk is that a few features that are always included in a real eSATA controller were optional in plain SATA controllers. Two I know of are hot swapping and long connector cables. So such an adapter system may work just fine, or it may not - depends on your setup and your particular SATA controller. BUT if your mobo has a true eSATA controller built in, as Stoner133 and I have (my mobo is an ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe), it WILL have all the eSATA functions implemented, so use it. It will have its own eSATA external connector mounted peremanently on the connector panel at the back.

If you don't already have the eSATA built in, you can try the adapter, which is free, or you can buy an eSATA controller that plugs into a PCI slot.

dash1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
I wasn't about to do it myself and was planning to get
a ready made one from Seagate or WD [?]
With or without a fan. Any specific model please???