Sign in with
Your question

New And Improved 8800gts?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 31, 2007 10:53:41 AM

i saw this on hardocp now-dunno if any of you have seen it.

UPDATE - 10/29/07-8:29am: A very interesting addendum to this. I just got off the phone with BFG Tech and NVIDIA has been doing some strange things lately. As of this morning, the GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB (unsure on the 320MB) will have its stream processors officially increased to 112, the same as the GT. This should put the GTS back ahead of the GT as per the paper specs. However, the separation in the products is still going to be very small except for those of you wanting to run high resolutions with AA turned on. To do that you are still going to need a $400+ video card..or so. Our new spec GTS is on the way to us now and we will of course be updating you. Given the GT's faster clocks and possibly larger texture unit, we will have to wait and see. Undoubtedly though, the 8800 GT remains a stellar value at the expected price points.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMCw2...

would the new 8800gts cards really outperform the 8800gt?

More about : improved 8800gts

October 31, 2007 12:15:50 PM

Yeah, they likely will. I don't think they would make money schlepping a card that underperformed for more money.

But the 8800 GTS still won't beat out the GTX, so you're going to have three cards existing in a very narrow performance range
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 12:25:18 PM

It reminds me of the locked shaders rumors on the GTS. Maybe its true, as they open it up a little and still has the higher BW, itll be like a GTX but cheaper
Related resources
October 31, 2007 12:50:37 PM

I think it's becasue they mark the 320 for End of life and the GT took its place but it also beating the 640 which cost more and that is not good for business.
October 31, 2007 1:21:20 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
It reminds me of the locked shaders rumors on the GTS. Maybe its true, as they open it up a little and still has the higher BW, itll be like a GTX but cheaper

....go on, please tell me more. I need a reason to keep my 320. Or do I?
October 31, 2007 5:49:09 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

8800GTS shaders are "laser-locked" (I.E they are physically cut at the factory) and therefore impossible to unlock through software means.
a b U Graphics card
October 31, 2007 9:20:46 PM

From this news article @ DailyTech :
"NVIDIA isn't done yet. A G92-derivative will appear later this year with even more shader units.
According to company guidance, the new G92 will launch in early December and feature 128 shader units as opposed to the 112 featured on GeForce 8800 GT."
said:
"NVIDIA isn't done yet. A G92-derivative will appear later this year with even more shader units.
According to company guidance, the new G92 will launch in early December and feature 128 shader units as opposed to the 112 featured on GeForce 8800 GT."

!